No announcement yet.

Gigantic Problem!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure the wire on the battery clip isn't messed up. I had that problem on my Mustaine signature Dean when I got it... plus the switch and bridge volume pot were screwed up, too.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah maybe there's a short circuit somewhere and are both batteries dead already.

Comment

Can you put the batteries in something else to see if they have juice? Weak tone from active pickups usually means dead or almost dead batteries.
        Scott

Comment

Well then Id go with a bad connection at the batteries. Try new batteries 1st then check the connections. Maybe one of the battery connectors worked lose during the change. My EMGs sound better with new batts.

Comment

Batteries are new. They're Duracell M3 9V batteries and they come with those little testers. I tested them, they're still fully charged.

I guess I'll have to screw open the battery box and see the wiring behind there then....

This is pissing me off so much.
            You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Had the same issue w/ my EMG's....the dying battery has quite an attractive tone relative to fresh batteries. When I replaced them the tone tightened up bigtime. I am thinking that's your problem. If you could post a clip of what you're hearing that would help.

Like you, I was LOVING the tone right before they croaked. Was only running 9v.

Go take the year old batteries out of your smoke detectors, replace them with the EMG batteries, and then you'll have batteries that are that much closer to getting you back to your tone

Vass

Comment

Hmmmmmmm, that's a real possibility I'm afraid.

I can NOT live with this sound. It is totally unresponsive, playing something in legato is almost impossible, there's zero to no sustain and zero to no attack or 'livelihood' to the tone.

It sounds like fucking Led Zeppelin or early AC/DC...

'Glassy' is indeed the right term.

Sounds like this--> http://youtube.com/watch?v=yex1yyySpyM

And that is with the amp maxed out to get it as saturated and gainy as possible. It used to sound fucking huge and powerful with those settings.

So I guess I'm fucked then....Anyone wanna buy a custom shop Jackson?

Comment

I tried using 1 battery (this is an 18v setup) and that worked....is that supposed to work?

Comment

Can't see why it wouldn't. Batteries are just run parallel on the 18v right?

Go put a 9v in something and run it for a day or something. You'll get your tone back eventually.

The hard part is it gradually went to the tone you like/got used to through the battery trickling off, and then suddenly popped to normal voltage when you swapped both of them out. Big change. It bothered me too but I think either I got used to it or the battery is a bit more broken in.

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                      Go take the year old batteries out of your smoke detectors, replace them with the EMG batteries, and then you'll have batteries that are that much closer to getting you back to your tone

Vass
                      PMSL, I was just going to suggest that!!
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

That's not an option.

I am so fucking pissed off right now, I feel like decking someone or fucking smashing that piece of shit guitar to bits.

FUCK THIS SHIT!

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
                          I tried using 1 battery (this is an 18v setup) and that worked....is that supposed to work?
                          No, it shouldn't work if it was setup as an 18v system.
                          Sounds like they have both batteries running in parallel.
                          So you have had a 9v system the whole time.
                          For the record, those dual battery boxes they use are crap.
                          It's the same one they use on the PC1's and I've had to rewire mine after the second battery change due to the leads falling off.
                          -Rick

Comment

Could one put a voltage regulator in and dial in the sag with a fresh battery...like the voodoo labs pedal power II does?
                            www.JerryRobison.com
                            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                              No, it shouldn't work if it was setup as an 18v system.
                              Sounds like they have both batteries running in parallel.
                              So you have had a 9v system the whole time.
                              For the record, those dual battery boxes they use are crap.
                              It's the same one they use on the PC1's and I've had to rewire mine after the second battery change due to the leads falling off.
                              I don't know. The tone changed when I only put one in. And it came 18v from the CS, the first owner didn't rewire it to my knowledge. Man wtf is this shit.

At times like these I wish I had my old axe back...

Comment

Stupid question here...but can you possibly EQ your tone back? Db Boost? and contour your EQ to maybe get it back close to where it was?

Comment

Working...
                                X