Need some amp/speaker/electrician tech input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some amp/speaker/electrician tech input

There's this discussion going on on some forum about why to use speaker cables instead of instrument cables between amp & cab.
    I've been using instrument cables on my marshall solid state (100w) for years with no problem, even cranked.
    My question is, how much ampères goes through the amp & head?
    Surely it can't be much otherwise touching that cable would be deadly, and they wouldn't use a male connector for this.
    Now I'm not an expert but isn't there a difference between the output watts of a head (120w for most) and the electrical power watts (like 2000w for an electric heater)?
    Or am I completely wrong here?

You are completely wrong here.

Always use speaker cable. The wiring is thicker to handle the power. An amp puts out a 100 watts. A guitar puts out .001 watt.

'nuff said. Don't argue.

Comment

+1. You could melt the wire at high volumes, which on a tube amp will suddenly cause your output transform to go without a load, and 5 seconds later you'll wonder why you smell burnt bacon and you aren't getting any sound.

Comment

Speaker cables are balanced, instrument cables are not.
        You are better off using old lamp zipcord cables, than anything, if you're trying to save a bit of money.
        The impedance mismatch on an instrument cable could cause all sorts of problems, and the speaker would not complain a bit. But at sufficient load, you could stress the power output section, IE output tranny, tubes, and work your way down the line.
        But, like using attenuators, the problem might not show up, until showtime, when everything gets cranked.

Comment

You know, I've used instrument cables for the longest time without realizing it..prolly for the first 10 years or so..duh. Luckily, nothing ever happened tho.

Wassup Cygs!!!
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
          X