Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVH 5150 lll...Number 3...DEAD...*?!##*!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bummer!!! Dude i can't imagine how pissed you were wheny ou discoverd that the 3rd one is also broken.
    As i have heard, great sounding amps but built like shit.
    Last edited by JC_Denton; 05-29-2008, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Well I took back EVH number 3 back to Sounds Great in Manchester on Tuesday morning (I was there before the staff had arrived). Once Rick at SG had managed to stop laughing, he decided to take the head apart and see if he could identify the problem.

The effects loop and footswitch socket are on the same circuit board, which is in turn connected to the main PCB via ribbon connecters. After checking that all the plugs were seated correctly in their respective sockets, Rick turned on the amp, and then we both stood back as it caught fire…

Once the smoke had cleared, and Rick had once again managed to control his laughter, we decided to have a look at EVH number 2 (EVH 3 was the one that had just torched itself), which was still boxed up and awaiting collection by Fender.

Once the flames had died down from EVH number 2, we decided it might be best if I just took home EVH number 1 which was the original one that I had repaired by Fender. I’m now waiting for Fender to supply EVH number 4.

I think I might have mentioned earlier in this thread that I was worried that Fender and Sounds Great might start to have difficulty believing my troubles with this head(s). So when two EVH’s catch fire in front of witnesses, the joy that brings is indescribable…I’ve never been so happy…

Comment

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Um, if at least two catch fire and smoke in front of me I don't think I'd take home EVH number anything Sorry to hear about your troubles with this amp. There has to be another amp out there that can get the tone you want without self destructing withing seconds of plugging it in.
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

There isn't an amp in my price range that comes anywhere near as close to the crushing tone of the EVH, I've tried them all. If I could afford an extra grand, I'd be looking at the Diamond Nitrox...

Comment

Dude I'm sorry to hear that, dunno if you've looked into the mesa roadsters but thsoe thigns sound mean, or is that out of your price range???

Maybe you should look into an engl blackmore or savage as the fireball and pwoerball sound pretty cold to me and the screamer feels pretty cold too is the invader in the same family I wonder......

Anyway's as annoying as it would be to see an amp catch fire it must have been fucking funny...

I dont think the origin of build is the problem I think nearly all the money going to Ed to leave little for the amp is possibly a major hindrence...

Keep us updated and lets hope no'4 doesent go the way of that sweedish melodic metal band....

Comment

Anyone who wanted the EVH ish amp should have bought the Peavey 6505. DIRT CHEAP in relative terms...and no money to Ed the drunk hero Van Halen.
                My Duncan Designed pickups are way better than Seymour Duncan regular pickups you fanboy.

Yeah...too bad the forum doesn't have a minimum IQ.

Comment

I'm not after a VH tone, that's not why I bought the EVH. I agree that the 5150/6505's are great amps, I've owned 'em both, but their tone is nothing in comparison to the EVH lll. I don't know what Eddie does to his amps to get the tone he has, because mine sounds ace...

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                    I'm not after a VH tone, that's not why I bought the EVH. I agree that the 5150/6505's are great amps, I've owned 'em both, but their tone is nothing in comparison to the EVH lll. I don't know what Eddie does to his amps to get the tone he has, because mine sounds ace...
                    Why not try the Randall amps that use different modules and let Pete mod a few to see if he can get you to your sound? Im sure that amp is in your price range. Have you considered the Carvin V3?? Higher price doesnt always translate into better tone.

I wouldnt waste anymore time on the EVH garbage. Its mexican junk!!!! You cant expect good quality work from a person making $1 hr plus 2 cans of Cambells soup as a bonus. I read a post here that said place of manufacture doesnt affect the quality. I beg to differ. Most crap made in mexico doesnt last. The QC just isnt there. The 5150s were made in USA and they are known for there durability as is most peavey stuff. They cost ALOT less too.

Comment

Well I took back EVH number 3 back to Sounds Great in Manchester on Tuesday morning (I was there before the staff had arrived). Once Rick at SG had managed to stop laughing, he decided to take the head apart and see if he could identify the problem.

The effects loop and footswitch socket are on the same circuit board, which is in turn connected to the main PCB via ribbon connecters. After checking that all the plugs were seated correctly in their respective sockets, Rick turned on the amp, and then we both stood back as it caught fire…

Once the smoke had cleared, and Rick had once again managed to control his laughter, we decided to have a look at EVH number 2 (EVH 3 was the one that had just torched itself), which was still boxed up and awaiting collection by Fender.

Once the flames had died down from EVH number 2, we decided it might be best if I just took home EVH number 1 which was the original one that I had repaired by Fender. I’m now waiting for Fender to supply EVH number 4.

I think I might have mentioned earlier in this thread that I was worried that Fender and Sounds Great might start to have difficulty believing my troubles with this head(s). So when two EVH’s catch fire in front of witnesses, the joy that brings is indescribable…I’ve never been so happy…

LMAOROF

Comment

I've been posting my amp woes for a couple of years now. In that time I've tried Mesa, Marshall, Carvin, Framus, Peavey, Randall, Hughes & Kettner, Gallien Krueger, Engl, Vetta, Krank, Orange and Hi Watt. In each of those brands I've tried almost every model. The EVH lll is head and shoulders above all of them in tone.

The worst build quality I found to be in both the Marshall (British) and the Framus (German).

The issues I'm experiencing with my EVH's are not down to build quality, they're down to the failure of a componant.

So, I can't join in with Yard Dawg's persistent (insistent) complaint against all things Mexican because it simply isn't true as far as these EVH's go. They are very well built amps that have a part installed from a country of unknown origin that reliably fails.

Comment

They are very well built amps that have a part installed from a country of unknown origin that reliably fails.
                          So why not take nuber 4 straight to an amp tech and get that problem component replaced before you ever fire it up? Or do we not know the problem component?
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Number four hasn't been delivered yet. I've got number 1 back which has been repaired by Fender. They know what the problem is, so hopefully I'll get a suitably adjusted new amp...

Comment

Number four hasn't been delivered yet. I've got number 1 back which has been repaired by Fender. They know what the problem is, so hopefully I'll get a suitably adjusted new amp...
                              You're more patient that I would have been. I'd be pushing fender for some compensation in some form or another as well.
                              Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Yeah, like a second EVH III for backup or something...
                                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Working...
                                X