Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EVH 5150 lll...Number 3...DEAD...*?!##*!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by axeman81 View Post
    don't know if I'm gonna laugh or be saddened on your behalf!! you'd think they'd make absoultely 110% sure that a customer who's already have two amps gone bust, would not get a third....geez..

oh well what can I say...time to try out an ENGL
    I agree! From what I heard of Engl they're close to the ballpark of a 5150III ..tone wise. Of course they both have their own distint voice ..but I've found them very comparible.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I actually had the Invader 150 just before buying the EVH, the most clinical, cold tone I've ever heard, which is why I bought the EVH.

Yes, it's THE WORST QUALITY BUILD, but it has the best tone I've ever heard. I bought it because channel 1 is crystal clean and channel 3 is the only channel I've ever heard on any amp that doesn't need an overdrive pushing the front end.

After owning it for several months, I then discovered that channel 2 is my favourite channel (with an 808 in front); I ignored channel 2 when I first bought it, purchased on the strength of the other two, so that's a bonus channel!

As much as I hated my Dual Rec, I pine for that build quality.

Comment

well, the Invader has EL34's, so I'd say that would account for a big difference, depending on what you like. You should try one of the models that are loaded with 5881/6L6 Blackmore, Savage, or Fireball. Even though the FB has limited versatility it sounds pretty good but if you need huge volumes you'd probably better buy two

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
          I don't know about the bad batch thing, my first one was a low serial number, in the low 500's, the next was in the mid 2000's and this one is 4059...
          I think we can conclude that they are shite then.
          Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

From what I've seen of the insides of the 5150 III, I can't say I'm surprised... add to that the Mexican quality and craftsmanship that country is known for, and you've got a POS.

Sorry to the OP, but if reliabilty is important, I'd definitely look elsewheres. After 3 amps, I think it's safe to call the 5150 III F.U.B.A.R. in terms of a reliable amp.

Also, I'd stay away from Engl as they aren't built that great either.

Comment

Man, sorry to hear this Sean... maybe its an incoming Voltage problem?
              I thought you guys were 220? Or is that only europe? I saw where
              you have the surge protector...but maybe it's still "Incoming" "Spikes"?
              Try the Peavey XXX, or the 5150 II maybe? This Sucks..6 months
              of your time that your not gonna get back! Sounds like it's Solid State
              time?

Comment

The one I just got is acting up too. The FX loop Switch cant make up its mind if the effects are on when the light is on. Some times the loop is engaged when the button is off. HEHEHE. Its still working, but just a bit confused.
                Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                  The one I just got is acting up too. The FX loop Switch cant make up its mind if the effects are on when the light is on. Some times the loop is engaged when the button is off. HEHEHE. Its still working, but just a bit confused.
                  Sounds like the exact same problem(s) I've experienced. As long as I don't plug in the footswitch, everything's fine. Maybe I should just look for a big stick (of the finest mahogany) to switch channels...or perhaps a big tin of lighter fluid (of the finest petroleum) to set fire to the fucker...

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                    Sounds like the exact same problem(s) I've experienced. As long as I don't plug in the footswitch, everything's fine. Maybe I should just look for a big stick (of the finest mahogany) to switch channels...or perhaps a big tin of lighter fluid (of the finest petroleum) to set fire to the fucker...
                    I'd get your money back before smashing the fucker to bits, I can imagine that option is quite attractive at the moment though...

Have you tried the Diamond amps? I've heard good things about them and Soundcontrol stock them iirc. A bucket more full of cash though unfortunately.

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

Diamond, are they connected to Custom Audio?

Comment

I think the guy that owns Diamond used to be Bradshaw's amp guy.
                        http://www.diamondamplification.com/ - you're probably talking double or more of the cost of the EVH though.

Comment

Well I paid full list price on the EVH, £1299. If the Diamond is double that, I'd buy an SLO100 instead, my dream amp...If I could afford it that is...
                          Last edited by SEAN RAF; 05-26-2008, 11:16 AM.

Comment

SO much for the lies EVH told about his demand for reliability . Hes an idiot and his stuff is over priced garbage. Remember its not fender, its the EVH brand sold thru fender. This garbage has EVHs name all over it. He got pissed at Kramer for making stuff in Japan and now he makes his garbage in mexico. Japanese quality control is 100000000000000% better than mexican QC.. Id take it back and get a refund. Start a new amp search because the EVH is junk.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard of Ozz View Post

Also, I'd stay away from Engl as they aren't built that great either.
                              I respect your opinion as I know you own my favorite amp the Diezel Herbert, so would you please care to elaborate your statement?
                              I have never heard of reliability issues with Engl products before, mine certainly seems solid close to two years into my ownership.

Comment

The worst part about the EVH crap is that you're STILL paying top-dollar for junk. You'd think they'd give you a break on the price because they're paying sub-minimum wages to get their stuff built (especially if it DOESN'T work), but that'd be too logical, wouldn't it...

I was at the local GC here in the San Fernando Valley earlier today (Memorial Day sale), and they were totally pimping their EVH stuff. The salesman who kept annoying me literally ASSURED me that the amps were "of the utmost quality".

So I plugged in, and wouldn't you know it...

... the same problems mentioned in the boards here. Footswitch goes FUBAR. Amp won't decide on what it wants to do. It even flat-out died at one point.

The salesman (not being a guitar player or amp dude) decides to start smacking it on its side as if that's gonna suddenly fix things. I simply turned the amp off (it didn't look like it was on anyway), unplugged the POS Laguna guitar I grabbed off of a nearby shelf, and told him the amp was toast. And a toasty piece of toast it was, too.

I'd rather have a Bad Cat or Fuchs, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X