I guess it was ment to be... Mesa story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess it was ment to be... Mesa story

About a year ago I was getting tired of the 10 inch speaker in my Mesa Express 5:25, and decided to hang it out there on Craigs list to see what would happen... (I bought it brand new in Feb '07)

End up trading with some one for a Rectoverb Series II in real nice condition... he was just tired of lugging it around... too heavy.

It was the perfect trade... we both got what we wanted.

About a week ago, someone is selling a Mesa Blue angel 4x10 just west of me... so, I talk to the guy, and he's actually hot for my Recto, so I'm thinking, ok, I'm more of a blues guy anyhow... I'll go check it out.

I lug the Recto over, haul it upstairs in his apartment and he plays it, I play the Blue Angel... hmmm I'm not digging it at all... he's digging my Recto... asks if he can have the evening to come up with 800 bucks, since he had two other people coming to check out the Blue Angel.

I say, fine, I'd rather not haul that bitch back down to the car anyhow. hehe

Well, the evening goes by, no money... OK... dammit... guess I'll have to drive over tomorrow and pick it up, I'm thinking.

But the next day I get an e-mail from the guy whom I traded with a year ago... turns out he knows the guy with the Blue Angel... wants to know if I'm interested in trading back.

LOL

Sure I say... sounds sweet... so... I end up with my Express 5:25 again.

He put brand new mesa tubes in her, and threw a new Celestion Vintage 30 speaker into the deal, which I've since installed in my Peavey Valveking 50... nice upgrade there.

Strange how shit works out sometimes huh?

Anyhow, it's good to have her back... I just need an open back Mesa 1X12 cabinet and I'm good... I've have the bite of a single 10, and the balls of the 12... might just be perfect.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

That's funny.

I'm thinking of upgrading to an express or roadster in the near future but I've only been reading about them, haven't played them yet. What are your impressions of the 5:25 express at high gain? What sort of band sound would you equate it to running through your gear? Are the cleans stellar or just passable?
    Jackson KV2
    Jackson KE1T
    Jackson KE1F
    Jackson SL1

Comment

Larz,

Cleans in 5 watt mode are just a little furry... typical class A warmth.
      In 25 watt mode, they are pretty damn crystal clear, with nice touch/depth/warmth.
      Best reverb ever, period...
      For high gain/modern tones, you'll likely need a BB preamp running in front of it (check out Andy Timmons youtube demo... those things just kill), or something to give it a little more "push".
      It will get close to Rectoville, but won't quite get you all the way there without something IMHO.

It's a very cool little amp for a grand though, and as of this year, they offer a 12" speaker option for the 5:25.

You should test drive one...

Try a 5:50 as well, and an nice used F-30 or even f-50 while you're at it... those just smoke.

--floydkramer

Comment

Good info, thanks a lot.
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post

Best reverb ever, period...
          My dual reverb tank Quad disagrees. :p
          You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfRhythm View Post
            My dual reverb tank Quad disagrees. :p
            Let me be more specific... hehehe

Best Mesa tube reverb I've heard.

LOL
            --floydkramer

Comment

Man, you're giving me major Mesa GAS again! I had an F-30 combo for a couple years and sold it on ebay. I think I want the head version this time. Does the 5:25 or 5:50 have the same amount of gain as the F-30? That was plenty of gain for me, with the contour channel usually engaged, too.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would say that it's really close toe.
                What's neato with the 5:25/5:50 is the rotary contour control that each channel has... from the way the manual explains it, it's the typical Mesa "V" shaped e.q. curve, built into a knob... clockwise = more extreme "V"

Lots of tones in there

As usual, best to read, then re-read the manual.

--floydkramer

Comment

Glad you found your tone. Im slowly working my way back to marshall. I started with one and liked it but I had to be a gear whore and chase tone when I already had it haha

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                    I would say that it's really close toe.
                    What's neato with the 5:25/5:50 is the rotary contour control that each channel has... from the way the manual explains it, it's the typical Mesa "V" shaped e.q. curve, built into a knob... clockwise = more extreme "V"

Lots of tones in there

As usual, best to read, then re-read the manual.

Cool. Thanks! Maybe I'll have to sell off some more gear and eventually pick one up.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X