Pickup question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup question

This seems the most logical place for it as opposed to Tech Q&A.

Anyhoo, besides EMG, who makes single-coil-sized stacked humbuckers (and singles) that will fit the older C/J style pickup routes?

Duncan changed their designs so the wires come out of the center instead of the end, so those will not work without cutting wood, which I'd rather avoid this time.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

I have just ordered a DiMarzio DP188 NO FLANGE to replace the neck-PU of my Fusion Pro; it should fit in without any problems - tomorrow I'll know.

I've read, that all DiMarzios can be ordered with that option, but I couldn't find anything about that on the DiMarzio site !?!
    Last edited by Franx; 06-01-2008, 02:39 AM.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

Seymour Duncan has stacked single coil size humbuckers too... Don't know if they'll fit, though.

Comment

Duncan changed their design so the leads come out of the center instead of the end like they used to, and that will not work for me.

I'm sure I can custom order what I want, but I don't see the sense in paying the extra cost for a minor design change. I ordered 3 custom Duncans a couple of years ago but they were models they did not make: Distortion, Custom, and Jazz in the Jr/stacked hum size.
        I'm not too fond of the idea of ordering a JBJr, Hot Rails, Classic Stack, and Lil59 with the leads coming out the treble side unless I can get them for the same cost as a regular production model.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Well, I don't know if this is still of any interest.

As posted, I had ordered a DP188 NoFlange - they sent the "regular" one
          I sent it back - they say, now DP188 NoFlange is out of stock, but a DP184 (Chopper) would be available !

I order the DP184 ... again out of stock ...

Finally (almost 4 weeks later) it arrived:

The leads come out of the center, but it worked just fine; same price as the "regular" one !
          uva uvam vivendo varia fit

Comment

That's how my custom Duncans came with the wire running along the bottom.

Unfortunately, in the older, shorter Jackson routes, they won't sit straight.

Comment

Just watch Ebay for an older one. Also, try Darren Riley - his prices even on custom orders are very reasonable. http://www.darrenriley.com
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

My understanding was that both Duncan and Dimarzio will do their standard SC-sized PU models without a flange by special order at no extra cost. So all you'd have to deal with is the extra wait for the special build.

Not 100% sure about that, though. Check with a trusted dealer - it can't hurt to ask. And I say "trusted dealer" because I would expect many dealers to just blow off this kind of request without actually following through to ask or order it. i.e., More hassle for asking/special ordering + no extra profit = "yeah, whatever" responses by many shops.

Comment

I ended up dremeling to get the lil 59 into my predator. It was worth it though.
                  Guitars:
                  '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                  '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                  '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                  Amp:
                  VOX AD30VT

Comment

Working...
                  X