Need a new amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new amp

i just started playing local shows at some bars and i need a new amp badly. Right now im playing through a marshall 65watt valvestate which does not have enough power to be heard and cut through w/ a 2nd guitarist. I'm into a lot of early 90's music from grunge to alternative to metal. Any thoughts?

I've been eying the peavey triple xxx (jsx sounded kinda compressed when i demoed it), mesa rectoverb (played a stiletto ace and didn't think it was heavy enough sounding not sure if the duece is the same way) , and carvin v3 (like the features clean sounds awesome but ive heard really bad clips of the od channels and only a couple good ones).

Any other amps u guys might have in mind I wanna spend less then a 1000 new or used

The Triple XXX is very versatile, and if I wasn't using rack stuff now, that's what I'd buy. It's also one of the few good tube heads that will fit your budget while allowing money left over for a cab. If tubes don't matter, you could also try a Peavey XXL for less cash.

I suppose another option would be the Line 6 SpiderValve, which I'm sure someone else could comment on. The specs appear to be well suited for someone who needs versatility, but I don't know how well the amp cuts through.
    sigpic

Comment

Comment

Grunge/alternative and metal.... the V3 would be a great choice. So would a Marshall DSL or TSL.

Comment

Mesa Roadster
          Fender Stratocaster Custom Shop Custom Classic
          Fender Stratocaster Eric Clapton sig
          Fender Telecaster Standard MM
          Jackson Dinky DKMGT
          Jackson Stealth EX
          Charvel 375
          Ibanez Daytripper
          OLP Musicman
          Carvin C250

Mesa 5:50 Express
          Sonic 4 x 12

Comment

I used to use a pair of Triple XXX's for gigging. Good amps and affordable. I now gig and rehearse with a JSX though. The clean channel is much better and the gain tones are better IMO.

Skully also made a great suggestion with the Roadster but they are pricier. I have my Road King II (Roadster with more options) here at the house. It absolutely slays! But in its rack case unit is just to cumbersome for gigging. Hence I use the JSX live.

Comment

Laney LC30 or LC50. Great combo amps for gigging, anf your kind of music.
              Guitars: Burny Les Paul Custom, Epi Les Paul Custom, Charvel Model 1C, Alvarez Classical
              Amps: Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 100 Watt, Laney LC-30II, Fender Frontman 25 watt
              Cab: Laney GS412P 4x12

Comment

Originally posted by organelle67 View Post
                Laney LC30 or LC50. Great combo amps for gigging, anf your kind of music.
                +1. I've always loved the Laney valve amps. Great cleans and very unique gains.

Comment

I can vouch for the spider valve. I have the 212 combo and it is very versatile since it can emulate marshall, vox, mesa, fender, hiwatt, etc. Some of the built in effects are pretty usable like the chorus, reverb, delays. Plus you have an almost unlimited amount of banks with 4 channels each. You can save a bank for every song you play if they sound different and rename each channel on the digital display. It also has a hidden noise gate features that works well. If this amp didn't exist I think I would be playing a JSX though, amazing tones on that thing.

Comment

+1 on the JSX. Great amp. But mine seems to sound best with a marshall 1960 cab or the triple xxx cab

Comment

I've never heard it played (so it might suck), but just thinking within your price line, you always see in the Guitar Center mailing the MG100HDFX head and cab for like $600 total. That is loaded with the onboard effects.....not tubes of course.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Working...
                      X