Need Some Advice RE: Behringer Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Advice RE: Behringer Heads

I'm considering, for sake of price and immediacy, either the Behringer V-Tone GMX 1200H or the Behringer V-Ampire LX 1200H heads. However, there are some seriously mixed reviews on this.

Now I'm using a V-Amp2 and I don't really have many problems with it... but a lot of reviewers complain about the loudness.

My plan is to still build my Power Amp/Pre Amp Rackmount Rig, but since I may be gigging out faster than I can build that, I'd really like some advice. Anyone ever use these? I think, for the price, it's a perfectly acceptable stop gap piece of gear (and perhaps a backup afterwards)...

Why not just get a Powerblock or something to run the V-amp through?
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

I have the V-Ampire head but have never even tried to see how loud it goes.

You could always run the V-Amp2 through something like a Behringer A500 power amp. That I can say for sure is loud enough.

Comment

I have a V-Ampire LX112 for home use. Its a great modeling amp.
        The best thing about it is the fact that it has really great presets. I haven't tweaked mine once in the 2 years that I have owned it. I use all factory presets.

Comment

I ran a gemini X3 poweramp for the Vamppro worked pretty well, I certainly gelled more with the behringer stuff than line 6's stuff....

I have heard that the Vampire and other behringer heads can be too quiet this is possibly because they are stereo, and need to be run stereo intoa cab at the right ohm settings If I run my poweramp into the 16ohm setting instead of 8ohm it's way too quiet...

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
            I ran a gemini X3 poweramp for the Vamppro worked pretty well, I certainly gelled more with the behringer stuff than line 6's stuff....

I have heard that the Vampire and other behringer heads can be too quiet this is possibly because they are stereo, and need to be run stereo intoa cab at the right ohm settings If I run my poweramp into the 16ohm setting instead of 8ohm it's way too quiet...
            So what you're saying is that it has to be run stereo to sound right? I actually just picked up a Behringer BS412S cab. My familiarity with the V-Amp2 and the price of the Behringer Heads was why I was considering it. In all the situations I can recall seeing here in town, the Cabs are all mic'd anyway through the venue's PA. It doesn't seem I'll have problems not being loud enough, right?

Comment

Yeah the V-Ampire head is made to be in stereo with I believe 4 Ohm cabs on each channel for it to attain full volume. If you run it mono, you only get 60W instead of 120.

Comment

Behringer? For gigging? You are having a laugh, right?

If not..........please please tell us how you get on!
                So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                  Behringer? For gigging? You are having a laugh, right?

If not..........please please tell us how you get on!
                  Ah, piss off, Naysayer.
                  Actually, I am considering it merely as a stopgap measure. I don't have the money to just go out and buy what I want to have; and I'm reservedly optimistic that we'll gig out before I do.

I'm interested to hear why you think it's so amusing that you offer derision but no advice.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonDean View Post
                    Ah, piss off, Naysayer.
                    Actually, I am considering it merely as a stopgap measure. I don't have the money to just go out and buy what I want to have; and I'm reservedly optimistic that we'll gig out before I do.

I'm interested to hear why you think it's so amusing that you offer derision but no advice.
                    I would imagine because while their processors sound pretty good, they're libel to fail at any moment for any reason.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                      I would imagine because while their processors sound pretty good, they're libel to fail at any moment for any reason.
                      Oh, okay, I see.

Comment

Anyone have a V-Ampire head actually fail? Mine hasn't.

That's like assuming that a 2008 Corvette is a POS because the Chevette is a POS.

Comment

I had my VAMP2's memory fail after spending a night out in a garage kept car at about 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit. That and the fact their reputation as a company isn't good at all doesn't help. Having one bad product is one thing. Having a whole line of hit or miss products is another.

Comment

I knew a guy who always brought 2 V-AMP PRO rack mount units to every gig because he had many failures live with them.
                            Mine is strictly home use for alone practicing.
                            I wouldn't hesitate to take it to a jam night or an open mic night though.
                            Just to qualify my statement... I have plenty of kick ass tube amps too. I personally think that Behringer is good bang for very little bucks. Not everybody has a ton of money to spend on amps.

Comment

Behringer make components with crap parts and crap craftsmanship. it's never a question of IF it will fail. It's a question of WHEN. Their guitar gear can't be any better than their PA gear, and their PA gear is barely a step above a giant steaming pile of shit.
                              My Toys:
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                              '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                              '94 Dinky HX in Black
                              '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Working...
                              X