Marshall jcm-900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall jcm-900

I was wondering,how do these sound if any of you have had an expierence to play one?
    Last edited by Bodomhc; 06-04-2008, 09:44 PM.
    http://www.myspace.com/bothendsofthepath
    Anyone have a je-1000 or je-1200 availible?

The sound great..but there's different ways to fuck with 'em to kick 'em in the ass. John used to get a Savatagian / Oliva-like tone with his for years. He ran various rack gear w/ graphic eqs/delay/hush in the loop and slammed the front with the boost of his wireless. then usedTesla El34s. Stock 900's are kinda sterile and the gain is kinda lame for "metal" tones. But you can wake 'em with no prob. John G prefers his with a certain tube and slams the front with what he likes. He may chime in..I think he prefer's 50 watters. Those work good for him.

They're very good amps..but I prefer other/older Marhsall heads such as the 2203 or 2210. Same thing with the 2203s ..you gotta slam them, but they're more full bodied/better lows to me..more VH-ish. I love 2210's because I don't require a stomp. They're cool on their own. They have a great tone and cool gain. Old JMPs are awesome..but you're getting into "collector" status and people get silly on prices.

I still love my Marshall rack set up..its my personal favorite Marshall tone.
    Last edited by horns666; 06-04-2008, 11:08 PM.
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a 50w head running Mullard EL34's. Its a monster and easily the best Marshall I heve ever owned.. and I have owned just about all of them. I slam the front end with either a YJM308 or a DOD 250. With the pedal off.. its old school metal like Priest/Maiden/Scorpions.. etc... with the pedal on I can get any metal sound I want.

Comment

I have a marshall combo amp that recentely broke so I wanted to get a new amp.
        What are good cabs?

Comment

-they are the standard backline head for most every venue or sound company.
          -they're one of the most reliable marshall amps ever made, IMO.
          - they'll do ac/dc natuarally on either channel.
          - boost w a pedal on the distortion channel and you'll get that creamy sound that you've heard on records for years and wondered how they got that. thats it.
          - like bill mentioned, eq in the loop was and still is a guitar pro seceret. and the 900 takes it like a pro.
          - they sound trashy by themselves, but in the mix cut through and sing the sweet song of their marshall heritage.

sorry for the enthuziasm, after 15 years on the boogie bandwagon, i'm recently a marshall convert.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Well, the Marshall 1960a (slant) /1960b(straight) loaded w/75wt celestions are the "standard". I have five sittin' right here that I've owned forever..and you can use 'em with anything

Its up to you what speaker sound good to you..the ones I have are cool but many people prefer Celestion 90s, Classic 80's (my fave), Vintage 30's or Greenback 25s for example. They make a 2-12" version. Personally, I like nothing less than a half stack..

I see you like COB..Alexi uses the KK Marshall now..They sound good but they're insanely expensive...and not far removed from a slammed 900 in tone. It has a built in noise gate which works nice. That's a first w/ Marshall and something they should include on the JVM. But I don't think you need to convolute that amp anymore..some folks have major issues with build quality/problems. (See JVM thread)..

can't go wrong w/a Marshall cab..wouldn't you agree John..?

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

There..speak of the devil.

Comment

thanks,I like COB I prefer the older tones to the new ones such as "Follow the Reaper"and "HateCrew Deathroll"but I'd rather not get in to that because Alexi used a lee jackson pre-amp.I know the jcm 900 are pretty cheap on ebay thats why I asked if they were good.I think Roope Latvala uses the jcm 900 and 1960 a cab,I saw a picture of him and the amp/cab in the background I'll try and find the pic but it sounds like a good combo.

Comment

my heavily modified 100W JCM900

BTW,the submachinegun hanging off of the amp is an airsoft gunand the rocket launcher is inert too (often used to threaten the drummer!)

Comment

Can't live without 'em...

Last edited by Strat God; 06-07-2008, 08:20 PM.
                    Strat God Music
                    http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusAbbott View Post
                      my heavily modified 100W JCM900

BTW,the submachinegun hanging off of the amp is an airsoft gunand the rocket launcher is inert too (often used to threaten the drummer!)
                      Into Stuck Mojo per chance?

Comment

I had a JCM 900 50 watt head for a bit. I used it with no effects other than a compressor in front. It was pretty good, but I was in an apartment at the time, so you can imagine I was never able to make it "sing". But it is one amp I wish I had back now, especially considering how much more I know about getting gear to sound good than 10 years ago. I wouldn't mind picking up another head or 212 combo one of these days.

Comment

My first Marshall was a JCM900 4100 head. It came stock with 5881 output tubes, and I thought it was very harsh sounding......and the guy who was going to mod it to accept EL34's never came through for me, so I sold it. I still wonder if I would have kept it if it had the 34's, and how it would have sounded. I then moved on to a TSL100 for a while, but now I'm forever happy in Soldano SLO land. But I'd still like to pick up another 900 someday with the EL34's,,,,just to have another Marshall for the collector side of me. It really was built like a tank compared to my TSL and when I met Bruce Kulick, he still loves the 900 amps, too.........and he sounded great with his setup.
                          Last edited by lynchfan6; 06-05-2008, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Q1.) What does it mean when the 900 has been slammed? im not familiary with that lingo

Q2.) Anyone got some audio samples of non-modified 900?
                            USA Jackson RR1
                            Charvel Model 6
                            Jackson Performer-2
                            Orange Dark Terror
                            EVH 5150 LBX
                            Hello Senòr

Comment

Originally posted by AussieTerry84 View Post
                              Q1.) What does it mean when the 900 has been slammed? im not familiary with that lingo

Q2.) Anyone got some audio samples of non-modified 900?

Answer to #1 - put a distortion/OD pedal in front of it. "Slam the front end".

Comment

Working...
                              X