No announcement yet.

Marshall jcm-900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya know Ive had a JCM900 100w reverb head sitting in the closet for a few years. Back before I knew good tone (was a metal zone user lol) I just used it on the clean channel. I got the Vetta because I never liked the 900 by itself. I may have to bust it out one day and mess with it, I bet Ill really like it now!
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusAbbott View Post
      uhmmm,forgive my ignorance....but what in the hell is Stuck Mojo?
      Stuck Mojo... a great band with a shitty rap singer.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
        Marshall 2210..or a much cheaper solid state VS 8100/8200..which is the weapon on choice for Glen Drover/ Chuck Shuldiner amound others.

I have the rack system 9200/JMP-1/JFX-1..but that'll cost ya...and a bitch to lug around unlike a grab N go head.
        I have been contemplating different amps for awhile, but I am thinking I'm either gonna go Marshall VS 8100, or Orange Tiny Terror, but I am looking for a more thick, metal-ish tone, which one is more like that?

I know that the TT does a mean Van Halen with a EB Axis! But I've never used a VS
        Out Of Ideas

Comment

tiny terror is going to need an OD pedal for metal

I have never played the VS8100.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
            You suck too!!

JCM900 = Line 6

:ROTF:

On that note, just had a gig with the Spider Valve last night. It did really well, although I kinda noticed that most of my patches will need a bit of tweaking for high volume, as opposed to home/practice volume where I made most of the patches...

But I'm loving it. I think it may be because I'm such a loser. I might as well buy a JCM900

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
              Ya know Ive had a JCM900 100w reverb head sitting in the closet for a few years. Back before I knew good tone (was a metal zone user lol) I just used it on the clean channel. I got the Vetta because I never liked the 900 by itself. I may have to bust it out one day and mess with it, I bet Ill really like it now!
              it's time to come out of the closet, Rob!!
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by slash-ed View Post

On that note, just had a gig with the Spider Valve last night. It did really well, although I kinda noticed that most of my patches will need a bit of tweaking for high volume, as opposed to home/practice volume where I made most of the patches...

But I'm loving it. I think it may be because I'm such a loser. I might as well buy a JCM900
                I have the SV 212, and I LOVE the damn thing! Especially with a good OD pedal in front of one of the "Crunch" models - pure awesomeness for me!! I keep trying other "pricier" tube amps, but they never really give me what I'm looking for. I might as well face it: I suck because I love L6. AND I liked the JCM 900!!

Comment

I own 50w 4500 Dual Reverb model. It had 5881 tubes in it which I too thought made the amp sound harsh...particularly the highs. I had the amp modified to accept EL34's and replace them with JJ's, which I'm glad I did because it made a world of difference.
                  I also noticed the amp doesn't come "alive" untill I get the Master Vol. above 6 1/2. I also use a TS9 to "slam" the front end (not so much for the overdrive but, more for the tone and punch from it) and a MXR EQ in the loop. For speakers/cab I use a Carvin Legacy 2x12 with V30's. I'm very happy with this settup....I can get some great 80's tones out of it.

Man there's quite a few people who's taste sucks in here.

Comment

Originally posted by Madness View Post
                    I own 50w 4500 Dual Reverb model. It had 5881 tubes in it which I too thought made the amp sound harsh...particularly the highs. I had the amp modified to accept EL34's and replace them with JJ's, which I'm glad I did because it made a world of difference.
                    I also noticed the amp doesn't come "alive" untill I get the Master Vol. above 6 1/2. I also use a TS9 to "slam" the front end (not so much for the overdrive but, more for the tone and punch from it) and a MXR EQ in the loop. For speakers/cab I use a Carvin Legacy 2x12 with V30's. I'm very happy with this settup....I can get some great 80's tones out of it.

Man there's quite a few people who's taste sucks in here.
                    Just as I thought......my 4100 head could've been a whole different experience with EL34's. But since getting my SLO,,,,my amp buying days are probably over. I'm still in awe of this thing 3 years after getting it

Comment

SLO's probably suck too...

Comment

actually, i HATED my SLO-100. i MUCH preferred the rivera, chris. it worked out quite fine though.....i sold my snakeskin SLO for $100 less than i paid for it, and bought a second rivera!!
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I had a friend who had the same sentiments as you, Mark. He pined for an SLO forever, got one, and hated it. He said it was "too transparent & too honest", and it just didn't work for his style. He traded it even up for a CAE. I haven't heard it yet, but he loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by thetroy View Post
                            tiny terror is going to need an OD pedal for metal

I have never played the VS8100.
                            the TT would definately need a OD Pedal for heavier metal, but for the stuff, I usually play like Ratt, Judas Priest, Dokken etc it would serve pretty well. But tubes aren't important to me, if the VS8100 sounds as good/better for cheaper, sign my ass up!
                            Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
                              But tubes aren't important to me, if the VS8100 sounds as good/better for cheaper, sign my ass up!
                              I have a VS 8100, and IMO it's a great practice/rehearsal amp. It has a tube preamp, and a solid state power amp. You get a 2-mode clean channel, a 2-mode dirty channel, spring reverb and an FX loop. Good features for relatively little money.

You can get plenty of gain out of it with the right pickup. I wouldn't call it a "high gain" amp, but it does metal easilly and without any problems.

Now, if you're looking to play really loud, I would advice you to get a real tube amp. As good as the 8100 sounds at lower volumes, it loses definition as you turn it up. You will probably have problems cutting through in a live/loud situation, unless the cabs are fully miked up and you're running stage sound at modest levels.

Comment

I actually bought a JCM 900 50W 4500 Dual Reverb Model yesterday. It has 5881 tubes. I bought it because someone made me a deal I couldn't refuse, so I figured I'd like to check it out. I played around with it for a couple hours last night and it sounds pretty good. I put a tubescreamer in front and a MXR EQ in the loop.

My main amp is a SLO 100 and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but so far I like the JCM 900.

Comment

Working...
                                X