No announcement yet.

Marshall jcm-900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as far as getting a good gigging amp with some good tones for a descent price a jcm 900 is one of the best out there. I got mine for $300 canadian, switched it to el34's and it kicks ass now, even with no overdrive it still gets pushed into some kick ass metal tones. Ive never played one with stock tubes so i cant say much for that but some GT el34's are in mine and it ROCKS

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
      I have a VS 8100, and IMO it's a great practice/rehearsal amp. It has a tube preamp, and a solid state power amp. You get a 2-mode clean channel, a 2-mode dirty channel, spring reverb and an FX loop. Good features for relatively little money.

You can get plenty of gain out of it with the right pickup. I wouldn't call it a "high gain" amp, but it does metal easilly and without any problems.

Now, if you're looking to play really loud, I would advice you to get a real tube amp. As good as the 8100 sounds at lower volumes, it loses definition as you turn it up. You will probably have problems cutting through in a live/loud situation, unless the cabs are fully miked up and you're running stage sound at modest levels.
      I use Dimarzio Super Distortions, and similar stuff

I dont need super loud either, the loudest i've had my Carvin 2x12 SX300 is like 4, which was louder than it needed to be for that application, the problem was is that it didn't give me a sound I liked, and the 2x12 doesnt push enough air, the damn sound goes right past my feet! So I have been looking to run a 4x12, and I figure I might aswell get another amp I really like the sound of. The carvin has a unique sound, but not quite what I'm looking for. Come to think of it, it sounds exactly like the X-100B's, kind of a "dark" sound

This place is awesome! so damn information packed!
      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusAbbott View Post
        http://www.stuckmojo.us/index.html
        okay.....i get it now
        My bud Dan played with these guys for a while.

Anyway, never really a fan of the 900. Everyone ive ever played (granted only 6 or 7) sounded really thin and buzzy.
        Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post

Anyway, never really a fan of the 900. Everyone ive ever played (granted only 6 or 7) sounded really thin and buzzy.

my 50w running mullards has a ton of body once it is turned up. Thats the nice thing about the 50w JCM900 MKII Super Reverb head. You can really turn it up. It also has a great friendly effects loop. I like this amp even more than the SLO I had.
          Keep in mind though.. its like any other good tube amp... correct cabinet selection is a MUST.
          I use a vintage Marshall 1960B loaded with V30's.

Comment

Originally posted by clifffclaven View Post
            I know Dan. Cool cat, and awesome bass player and vocalist. He was after my ex-gf's sister for a while. He's a fun guy to watch. I met him years ago when he was in UKI and Jerk. I hear he's doing the Jerk Jam thing again, and he's also playing with Hairball. I'll have to check them out again.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
              I know Dan. Cool cat, and awesome bass player and vocalist. He was after my ex-gf's sister for a while. He's a fun guy to watch. I met him years ago when he was in UKI and Jerk. I hear he's doing the Jerk Jam thing again, and he's also playing with Hairball. I'll have to check them out again.
              yeah, hes doing both. Ive known him since madatchu in the way early 90s. Knew a ton of those GMA bands, Tornado ali, Riff Raff, blah blah..

Jg, im sure your amp sounds good. Id love to hear some clips if you have any.
              Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Riff Raff - now THERE is a blast from the past!! They were the 2nd band I ever saw!! "Let's BBQ!!"

Comment

I've got a JCM900 4100 (High Gain Dual Reverb)

The "High Gain" part is wishful thinking, honestly - but the sound You do get is very nice. The clean channel sounds wonderful, and has a nice reverb. I used to, like many of the offenders on this forum, slam the clean channel with an over-the-top distortion pedal, and laugh at the puny gain of the B channel, but of course as You get older the mid scoop starts to disappear.

I rediscovered my 900's natural tone and have been loving it ever since. I'll see if I can put up some clips of the 900 - I just need to host the file somewhere.

They're good amps, but if You want distortion, You'll have to find something to plug into it, like a Tubescreamer, Dod250, what have You.
                  - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

I loved the Soldano SLO100 that I owned. The problem is I hated the effects loop. Absolutely aweful in every respect no matter what you put in it.
                    I now play a 1st year JCM900 50w MKII dual reverb head running Mullards. The only effects I use are as follows...

YJM308, tuner and modded Crybaby out in front.
                    Morley Little Alligator volume pedal, digital delay pedal and chorus pedal in the loop.

My cabinet is an old JCM800 1960B running V30's.
                    My sounds is outstanding for both the clean and the distortion channels. IMHO... the JCM900 has one of the best clean channels for metal on the planet. Its a monster of a rig and the nicest thing about it is that it takes 5 minutes to set up, there is no tweaking necessary and because its just a 50w head I can really turn it up which is absolutely paramount with a tube head.
                    The problem that most players have with their high powered tube amp rigs is that they really can't turn them up loud enough. 50w is plenty loud for just about any venue I have ever played. If it isn't.. you may need to fire your sound guy.

Comment

Trey from Morbid Angel uses a 900 with a rackmount rat! sounds fuckin awesome to me!

Cheers!

C

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralArchitect View Post
                        Trey from Morbid Angel uses a 900 with a rackmount rat! sounds fuckin awesome to me!

Cheers!

C
                        Sounds great when HE plays it..but it sounds like poop on ice when I play it tho.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          Sounds great when HE plays it..but it sounds like poop on ice when I play it tho.
                          Bill hit the nail on the head. When you talk about classic tube amps much of the tone comes from the player. I buddy of mine played my rig and sounded pretty much like canned ass. It sounds totally different when I am ripping into it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            The problem that most players have with their high powered tube amp rigs is that they really can't turn them up loud enough. 50w is plenty loud for just about any venue I have ever played. If it isn't.. you may need to fire your sound guy.
                            Young and old alike, take a minute and absorb these words of wisdom.
                            "POOP"

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              Bill hit the nail on the head. When you talk about classic tube amps much of the tone comes from the player. I buddy of mine played my rig and sounded pretty much like canned ass. It sounds totally different when I am ripping into it.
                              You should hear my kid thru the Uber..I never heard such crap! He laughs while I'm yelling at him.."WTF are you doing??!!"..

He sounds just great with his Spider II or the Marshall. But his palm muting is much too "loose" and muddy for the Uber. I'm showing him how to sharpen his attack by playing a little closer to the bridge pup..the same spot where you'd grab pinch harms. Its a whole different vibe for him..
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I had pretty much Trey's exact rig, 900 + rat+ graphic eq+ eventide h3000+ dunlop univibe and I think it sounded amazing! I loved that rig! for a long time, but then I got my Uberschall hahahahahaha

see ya 900!

C

Comment

Working...
                                X