Marshall JCM 800 2204 vs. MK II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 800 2204 vs. MK II

Guys, is there any tonal difference between the older JMP MK II and the later JCM 800 2204? I totally enjoyed my 1982 JCM 800 but sold it like a dumbhead. But I'm getting a 1980 MK II 100 watt. It has the same control layout and dual vertical input jacks. Is there really any difference other than cosmetics? (It's of course in the older style Marshall cabinet) Thanks...
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

I don't know I only own JMP MK II but I really love them.

Comment

I have both.
      A 77 JMP and a 84 800.
      Although they are similar in tone, The JMP has more balls,volume and Power. The 800 is more controlable in every way and usually my "go to" amp ....
      Last edited by toddstaples; 06-10-2008, 01:11 AM.
      "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

+1.. the 1980 MK II 100 watt is a monster in every respect. Very difficult to control unless you are in an arena setting. Its a very clear extremely loud amp with tons of presence. A good attenuator is a must unless you play stadiums. The JCM800 is much more civilized and easily tamed.

Comment

An attenuator, really? What if you run pedals through it straight up, into the lower sensitivity input, with the pre-amp volume on like 1, and the master volume up above that. Won't that be really controllable? Sometimes with the drummer (Animal) 100 watts barely cuts it!

Comment

I've never met a Drummer that could keep up with a 100 watt Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
              An attenuator, really? What if you run pedals through it straight up, into the lower sensitivity input, with the pre-amp volume on like 1, and the master volume up above that. Won't that be really controllable? Sometimes with the drummer (Animal) 100 watts barely cuts it!
              Even with a OD, the JMP dosent start breathing until 2 1/2 or 3 on the volume knob and thats pretty damn loud in a club setting. Im actually considering a attenuator for this so I can take it out more....
              Last edited by toddstaples; 06-10-2008, 01:53 AM.
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I was never able to get the one that I owned past 3 either and you really need to be around 4-5 for the amp to come to life.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                  I've never met a Drummer that could keep up with a 100 watt Marshall.
                  A. J. Pero could! Look at this rig:

Seriously, the drummer I play with is loud as hell. We auditioned for a bass player years ago, one guy came in and stood next to the crash cymbal. He got it hard right in the ear, put his bass down, and just fucking left! I mean, it was so loud he just left the audition, without a word, and left his bass (which we later pawned). You have to use ear plugs or you'll go deaf. Well, when I run this JMP with the band I'll give you guys a review...

Comment

hey, is that Lars' kit from the St Anger sessions?
                    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                      hey, is that Lars' kit from the St Anger sessions?
                      :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by charvel750 View Post
                        Guys, is there any tonal difference between the older JMP MK II and the later JCM 800 2204? I totally enjoyed my 1982 JCM 800 but sold it like a dumbhead. But I'm getting a 1980 MK II 100 watt. It has the same control layout and dual vertical input jacks. Is there really any difference other than cosmetics? (It's of course in the older style Marshall cabinet) Thanks...
                        2204 is a 50 watter isn't it?

Sometime shortly after the inputs went horizontal, Marshall took out one of the big blue filter caps in the 100 watters, reducing low end and power.

Sounds like the MK II you are looking at is a winner. I think it should have 6 big blue cans if you look in the back by the tubes instead of 5.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          2204 is a 50 watter isn't it?
                          Yep, 2203 is 100 watts, but Joe already knows that.
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I played a '76 JMP 2203 all through college in bars and parties with stellar results. All I used was a Super Overdrive into the front end. This was in the 80's before using attenuators was in vogue. (However, I did have a Scholz power soak but immediately dumped it due to its sheer awfulness.) Contrary to popular opinion my experience has been that there is only a marginal difference in volume between a 50 watt and 100 watt head. I used the 2203 for years and got great tone and it was reliable through all kinds of wild adventures. I never had a problem getting great tone from it even in small rooms (100-200 people) so I'd like to hear more about the troubles people have had with these amps in those situations. I always played it at 3-4 on the master.

In my experience the vertical jack JCM800 series amps were very similar in tone and response to the earlier JMP series.

The JCM800 amps with the horizontal jacks were built differently (pcb mounted components) but had the same circuit layout. I have had some great amps from this series, as well.

I have also seen variation in the filter capacitors. I think this is more of a factor of using different sizes and numbers of caps depending on the values. The overall capacitance was probably consistent even though components varied.

I need to find another one someday...the only Marshall I have now is a 1970 Super Bass and that is a different animal altogether!

Bret
                            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
                              Yep, 2203 is 100 watts, but Joe already knows that.
                              Well, then I'd say there is a 50 watt difference between the 2204 and the MK II

Comment

Working...
                              X