Marshall JCM 800 2204 vs. MK II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
    Contrary to popular opinion my experience has been that there is only a marginal difference in volume between a 50 watt and 100 watt head.
    I think we all agree on that. To double the loudness, you need to increase the power by 10. i.e. a 10 watt amp is 1/2 as loud as a 100 watt amp. A 50 watt amp is very slightly less loud than a 100 watter.

BUT, the tonal range is different between the two. A 100 watt amp will be able to hit the lows and highs much better and harder than a 50 watt amp. The 50 watt amp will distort quicker (power amp distortion). It's because of the "feel" that I like 100's better.

Comment

I have always felt the tone and frequency response was very similar between the two amps. 100 watt amps seemed to have a natural compression (in a good way) that always kept me in the 100 watt camp. The 50 watters seemed to be more open and airy.

We're probably saying the same thing in two different ways LOL.

Bret
      www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Yeah wattage in tube amps is more related to headroom that it is to volume. The 50W breaks up sooner so it becomes "spongy" or "warm" or "airy". The 100W breaks up later so it becomes "clean" or "tight" or "sharp".
        Scott

Comment

Theres a big difference between a Marshall 50 and a 100 watt. The 100 pushes more air and has more headroom.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
            Theres a big difference between a Marshall 50 and a 100 watt. The 100 pushes more air and has more headroom.
            Only if you add more speakers.
            Scott

Comment

I own both a JMP and 800 2204 50 watt master vol. amps and they sound almost identical. Mine have been both modded with EL34's. I would say that each amp actually sounds better with certain speaker cabs I have. The 800 sounds it's best thur my 800 Marshall cabs that are loaded with Rola-Celestion G12-80's and used with a THD Hot plate while the JMP sounds best straight into two old Peavey Butcher 4x12 straight cabs that I reloaded with original Rola-Celestion G12-65's. Oh Yeah, I also switch off between a Tubescreamer or a modded SD-1 for overdrives.

Comment

Working...
              X