Recording with a laptop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording with a laptop?

Ok, I've got an old Toshiba laptop (4 years old) that's running Windows XP. I think it has 512mb memory. I want to use it as a mobile recording studio, what do I need? What interface for plugging in mic and guitars? What software is best? I want to be able to take it out to a rehearsal and record our drummer (each drum mic'd individually) and then go home and work on a great drum sound and add the guitars, vocals etc.

So far, as far as software is concerned, I've been looking at Sonar 8 Producer; would this be a good purchase?

All help appreciated.

You'll need a Interface with 8 inputs and firewire is the best and quickest. I have a Protool didgi 002 rack its got 4 mic pres and 4 1/4" input . From there it depends on your mic, software and your EARS.
    Last edited by jtr; 11-04-2008, 07:59 AM.

Comment

What did you go for?
      '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
      '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
      custom made Les Paul
      VOX Tonelab LE
      Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
      ADA MP1
      BBE 422A
      Lexicon MPX-G2
      ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
      Support Your Local 81

Comment

What CPU is in the laptop? You might have some trouble processing all 8 tracks without the proper hardware.
        Scott

Comment

That had better be a P4 3.0Ghz in that laptop or 512Mb simply won't cut the mustard. I would certainly recomment a minimum of 1GB RAM if you're going to be running 8 inputs at a time.

I used to have an Advent P4 3.2Ghz, 512Mb RAM with Win XP Pro, and just trying to record a drum pattern from my keyboard, and my guitar at the same time used to seriously tax the poor thing (mind you, I was using cakewalk!).

The poor machine eventually met its maker after the processor fried (I failed to notice the fan stopped working!)
          Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Ram is incredibly cheap these days, get an extra GB if possible.

Not sure how it is configurated, in my 4 year old Acer there was a air of 256MB memorys, so i replaced one of them with a 1GB and got 1.2 GB total.

Comment

Originally posted by rocksoldier View Post
              Ram is incredibly cheap these days, get an extra GB if possible.

Not sure how it is configurated, in my 4 year old Acer there was a air of 256MB memorys, so i replaced one of them with a 1GB and got 1.2 GB total.
              Indeed it depends on the Motherboard configuration, and what sort of RAM the laptop takes (I'm guessing PC 3200 for a laptop that age). The Motherboard should have no trouble supporting 2GB RAM, so go for it
              Gear: Charvel Model 3, Marshall Reverb 30, Fender Squier Telecaster, Digitech GNX-1, GHS Boomers and a whole lot of Dunlop picks.... Oh, and a Hohner Harmonica - key of A

Comment

Working...
              X