Price of tube amps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price of tube amps!

It seems like they are going down real fast. First, the brugera amps and now the crate V series. I remember my first tube amp, a XXX 40 watt combo, for which I paid almost $450 on the bay. This crate 33 watt head is only $179! Its got 4 EL84's. Not sure how different it will sound from the carvin TS100 which has 4 EL34's, but hey, its under $200 brand new!

I was always looking for a small tube amp head that I can jam at home at bedroom levels and since my "preamp" sound comes from a distortion pedal and other effects, all I need is a tube power section for that "tube sag" feel. I could stick the output of my pedalboard right into the fx return of this amp. It does not have a master volume tho which can be fixed if I reduce the level on the MXR-10 band. What do you guys think?

Link:
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-CRA-V33H-LIST
    Sam

Cheap surface mounted components, made in China.
    Mounting thin tube sockets onto thin PC boards is a bad idea, but inexpensive.
    Same with board mounting the pots and switches.

It will sound good for a little while, but servicing them will become a nightmare.
    I have seen far too many failures on Fender HDRX's and such due to that kind of construction.

There is a very good reason why wiring is more expensive...and worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      Cheap surface mounted components, made in China.
      Mounting thin tube sockets onto thin PC boards is a bad idea, but inexpensive.
      Same with board mounting the pots and switches.

It will sound good for a little while, but servicing them will become a nightmare.
      I have seen far too many failures on Fender HDRX's and such due to that kind of construction.

There is a very good reason why wiring is more expensive...and worth it.
      Exactly.

Comment

Not to Hi jack this thread, but has anyone heard or tried the Brugera amps? Been reading some great reviews from beginner players.
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Spawn Quickrod for sale on ebay. 1325.00 BIN + 100.00 bucks shipping. Dropped about 250-300 in a couple of months.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Splawn-QuickRod-...QQcmdZViewItem

-Nate
          Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Cyg, John, I hear you guys about bad components and stuff but considering this amp is not going to leave the garage/bedroom, its a good deal right? They proly will come with a 90 day warranty on tubes which is pretty standard and a 5 year warranty on parts. That seems good enough for $180.

Mike, the brugera amps got a great review on GW. but I'm scared to touch those amps because the amps are supposed to have come with matched tubes and they dont guarantee that tone if you go with different tubes. Not sure what will happen if the tubes go bad and you cant get the exact manufacturer's recommended tubes. Seems pretty stupid to me.
            Sam

Comment

Originally posted by nateb View Post
              Spawn Quickrod for sale on ebay. 1325.00 BIN + 100.00 bucks shipping. Dropped about 250-300 in a couple of months.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Splawn-QuickRod-...QQcmdZViewItem

-Nate
              whatcha trying to say with the ebay link Nate?
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                Mike, the brugera amps got a great review on GW. but I'm scared to touch those amps because the amps are supposed to have come with matched tubes and they dont guarantee that tone if you go with different tubes. Not sure what will happen if the tubes go bad and you cant get the exact manufacturer's recommended tubes. Seems pretty stupid to me.
                what are you scared about? Do you need a hug?

what will happen if the tubes go bad is the same as any tube amp. You buy some more EL34s or 6L6s, depending on the amp (although their website lists a couple of amps that will take either with the flick of a switch), and have your tech rebias the amp for the new tubes.

btw, if anyone is having trouble finding any info on these amps, try typing "Bugera" instead. Since that's what they're actually called
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  what are you scared about? Do you need a hug?
                  Not really. Since the bugera's cost almost the price of a used 5150, I'd rather buy the latter. but the crate V33's are the cheapest tube-amps we've come across. Just so they're cheap, I dont think we should dismiss them as completely useless. LCD tv's are 1/2 the price of what they used to be 5 years ago. Does that mean the new ones are are all bad? just dont buy the emprex LCD tv's. :ROTF:
                  Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                    Not to Hi jack this thread, but has anyone heard or tried the Brugera amps? Been reading some great reviews from beginner players.
                    They are good for a little while and then break is all I hear about these things...

Comment

If you're gigging, you're not gonna go onstage with a $100 unreliable guitar. I guess the same holds good for amps. These amps might not be stage-worthy. But for those who have never tried/bought a tube amp just because of the cost, this is a good time to buy these and still not break the bank.
                      Sam

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                        Cyg, John, I hear you guys about bad components and stuff but considering this amp is not going to leave the garage/bedroom, its a good deal right? They proly will come with a 90 day warranty on tubes which is pretty standard and a 5 year warranty on parts. That seems good enough for $180.

I agree with that. If its not going to go through the torture of gigging its a great deal. Personally.. for garage/bedroom use I just can't understand why anybody wouldn't want to go with a nice modeling amp. I have a Behringer LX112 which I am told is the crappiest made, worst sounding modeling amp on the planet. I think it sounds great, I have done several small shows with it and it hasn't given me a single problem in over 3 years. I think I even left it on for 3 or more days once.

Comment

Agreed that modeling amps are best for bedroom volumes. I do have the uber metal distortion pedal and a line 6 spider. however, at band practice when we're taking a break and we're not playing at ear shattering volumes, I turn the volume of the Carvin TS100 real low and at bedroom level volumes, through a 4x12, it gives the sweetest sounding distortion from the uber metal. I dont need to tell you how good that feels and how good it sounds. Just looking to replicate without surprising the wife whose screaming "Now how much did THAT cost?? "
                          Sam

Comment

Working...
                          X