Thinkin' about sustainers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinkin' about sustainers

Not really sure this is the right place to post this so my apologies if it's not.

Ok, I've been thinking about this for quite some time and thought I'd get some thoughts from different perspectives. I have really been wanting to check out a sustainer Problem is, I've been to every guitar store in the area and nobody has one to try out so I'm exploring options..

First I thought about just buying a sustainer pickup and having it installed into my DK2 but after some thought and nightmares about routing the body ect. I decided that isn't going to happen so I'm going to end up buying one just to try it out and see if it's what I'm looking for.

So I just wanted to put this out there and see if I could get some feedback on what to look for, what guitar brands and models generally have them, sustainer vs sustaniac, general info like that. I know Fernandes has several guitars that come equipped with them, The Revolver looks pretty interesting but I've niether played, nor do I know anyone that's had one. I thought about the DK2S, but I already have a DK2.. so anyway, what do you good folks think??
    Prosecutors will be violated...

the fernandes guitars used to use sustainers that were 9volt. my PC-1 has 18volts - the sustainer was MUCH stronger then the one on my friend's fernandes...don't know if that helps, but....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      the fernandes guitars used to use sustainers that were 9volt. my PC-1 has 18volts - the sustainer was MUCH stronger then the one on my friend's fernandes...don't know if that helps, but....
      I was noticing two battery boxes on the back of a PC1 I was looking at online.. Wondered what was up with that..

Comment

I've got a Kramer Sustainer, and it's one of those things that is difficult to use productively...easy to mess around with, but if you're in a band situation there's only so far you can stretch the gimmick (unless you're an Enya cover band :p).

Comment

The Sustainiac is the least invasive. (No routing) The Fernandez requires routing depending on your application. The Floyd/Jackson sustainer is not available as aftermarket, so your stuck with Sustainiac or Fernandez. I use all 3 and they are all good. As Mark stated, the Jackson sustainer in the PC1 is noticeably more powerful. Most likely due to the additional 9 volt battery.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
            The Sustainiac is the least invasive. (No routing) The Fernandez requires routing depending on your application. The Floyd/Jackson sustainer is not available as aftermarket, so your stuck with Sustainiac or Fernandez. I use all 3 and they are all good. As Mark stated, the Jackson sustainer in the PC1 is noticeably more powerful. Most likely due to the additional 9 volt battery.
            I have an old floyd rose sustainer pickup that a friend of mone gave me new a long time ago because he couldn't figure out how to hook it up. It's just the pickup, I think there is more than that needed, and it's a humbucker so I couldn't use it anyway but I forgot all about it.

Comment

Working...
            X