Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
    am i the only one who noticed this was to be about solid states only

I noticed that too. That's why I didn't answer.

The only experience I had with SS crate stuff was back when I was in high school. A friend of mine had a G1600XL full stack. Compared to my Peavey Bandit, I thought it sounded awesome, but then I heard one many years later and realized that it sounded fuzzy, buzzy, and pretty fucking horrible.

I had a BV120 for a few years, and just sold it recently. Once you dialed out the mushiness, it sounded pretty damn good.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

yeah i had nothin but crate stuff when i was younger and i thought it sounded good, but as i got older it sounded like shit. not sure if its cause amps got better or i was just playin the crappy crates....probably the latter.

Comment

I took a GFX212 home to try out for a week...Loud as hell but it sounded like someone put the amp in a cardboard box then cranked the highs to compensate for the muddiness....super compressed and muffled....

Well...that’s my best analogy anyhow...that was the last nail in the solidstate amp coffin for me...
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by sevser View Post
          I took a GFX212 home to try out for a week...Loud as hell but it sounded like someone put the amp in a cardboard box then cranked the highs to compensate for the muddiness....super compressed and muffled....
          GFX is crap with a capital C. Not sure how GC sold so many. At first, I bought it, took it home, returned it the very next day. It was so horrible. Lifeless is how I would put it. But the GLX that I bought off the ebay the next week, was simply amazing. But again only through headphones. The speaker was a piece of crap. I bet if I still had that amp and I replaced the speaker with a celestion or a eminence, it would still rock. It had enough gain for death metal stuff.
          Sam

Comment

I've had several Crate amps. The VC series is excellent. I also think their Flexwave distortion is very cool.
            I saw Poison and CC was using BV120's and his tone was awesome.

Comment

How about hybrid?
              Crate GXT head...sounded ok once I found the right 12AX7's for it.
              Not roadworthy, though. It feels like the pots could break off too easily.

Comment

Working...
              X