My JCM 900 finally arrived!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My JCM 900 finally arrived!!

Yay, I guess customs decided to finally release the hostage. It sounds awesome. Exactly what I expected as far as tone goes, and definitely not as ice-picky as some have led me to believe. I was however surprised by the lack of gain. Considering it is supposed to be "high gain", to me it sounds like it has barely more gain than an 800. I knew it wasn't going to be in modern high gain territory, but I figured it would have a little more than it does. I'll have to try some different pre-amp tubes to see if I can coax a lttle more out of it.

Anyway, it's in perfect condition, and I'm extremely happy with it.

Mucho thanks to JGCable!!!

By the way, if anyone else has one of these (mine's a 4500) post up your settings or any tips you might have for me.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Just get yourself a Tube Screamer for that extra bit of gain.

Comment

I ran JCM 900s for a couple years live. 4100s to be exact. They're certainly a reasonably clean amp, and more suited to rock/metal of the 80's 90's

I tried most everything I could. But, the most effective tweak to get a nice edge was cleanly overdriving the front end (which strangely works even tho I believe it's somewhat buffered). I used either a wireless unit (at that time, I was running NADY 102s I believe) and cranked the output up (worked very nicely), or I'd use the EMG PA-2 built in preamps which I still use for the same effect with my CAE3+se.

In the loop, I then used a BBE 422 and several different EQ's over a period of time, AND used them as part of the gain structure as well to slam the input of the power section a bit harder. Over time, I used a noisy Rockman EQ, which had a great set of extremely guitar oriented customish bands (Tom did his homework on those), an alesis stereo 31 band, and then the classically noisy Furman PQ-3 parametrics. I actually liked the Alesis quite a bit with that and they are cheap as dirt, albeit somewhat noisy. Of course the parametric ruled, but the graphics were VERY useful in their own way.

That will yield quite a bit of effective and tight distortion, unless you're looking for modern distortion, at which point, that amp really isnt what you want, and won't do it unless you set it clean and use some serious distortion pedal.

I went to 5150s after that as i wanted more low end grunt. But, the 4100's alway had a sweet lead tone I really missed (till I went to the CAE3+se). Now, I'm missing the low end grunt somewhat again, haha...
      Last edited by Cleveland Metal; 11-05-2008, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I don't need much more gain than what it has. I'll have to try my BBE 422 with it along with the rest of my pedal board. So far, all I've done is plug straight in. My pedal board normally has a SD-1, tuner, ISP decimator, Boss EQ, wah, and volume pedal on it, so I can just add a little drive to the SD-1. That might do the trick.

I have my B-52 for the modern high gain stuff, and that's why I got this. I wanted something with a little more classic sound, with more midrange. I also figured the Marshall will record better, since I always have to back the gain right down on the B-52 to get a decent recording sound.

I'll have to wait for the wife to go to work, and then I can crank this thing up.

Comment

Never fouind a pedal that I liked using with the 900. I had a lot too.

I used to run my Marshalls into an old Marshal se-100 emulator and into the board at shows and to record. It really did record nicely, loved the almost tape echo style of warmth it gave.

I kick myself for selling that thing...

Comment

For a slight uncolored boost the EQ with a flat setting and level up might work out nice.

Comment

The BBE 422 may work very well in the loop. It does enhance my Marshall rig for sure. Zeegs try all your stuff when your wife leaves..have fun and good luck. It may work out for you. Your stuff did sound cool on that recording..keep us posted. I wish I had a SD-1 right here to fuck with.

Yeah, I was surprised with the B52 when I played it. Man, that used mint half stack pretty damn affordable. It certainly has ooomph with no need for a stomp.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

congrats, zeegs. Glad to hear it finally arrived.

Another 900 user here. Mine's a 4100 with 6L6s.
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Oh, I like Marshalls with 6L6s, that'll beef things up a bit for the bottom end.

BBE the loop..I think John G put Mullards in that sumbitch. Stomp the front and see what goes..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Holy fuck.

I finally got the chance to set the amp up properly with my pedal board, and crank it up loud.

An SD-1 in front with a small amount of drive gives this thing the kick in the pants it needs. Put an EQ in the loop, and yeah, the 900 WILL do modern metal if you want it to. Or it can just give you that good old Marshall roar. I tried the BBE, and it works, but it's really unnecessary because it sounds so goddamn good with the SD-1 and EQ.

John did tell me that it had Mullards, but they just look like GT EL34s to me, so I don't know. Either way, it sounds GODLY.

Comment

I didnt have any luck with the BBE in my loop. It made it fizzy. It did add bottom end, but it lacked the Marshall Body of Sound with the Stomp in the loop.
                      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
                      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I've been wanting to try an SD-1 with mine. How does it compare to a Bad Monkey? Thinking that if I like it, they could both live on my board for different flavours of overdrive but I've never tried the SD.
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          I've been wanting to try an SD-1 with mine. How does it compare to a Bad Monkey? Thinking that if I like it, they could both live on my board for different flavours of overdrive but I've never tried the SD.
                          I can't compare it to the Bad Monkey because I've never tried one.

It's weird, some amps don't really seem to care what pedal you put in front of them, but the 900 really does accentuate the characteristics of overdrive pedals. So far, I've tried the DOD 250, the DOD YJM (which is pretty much the same pedal), the Tech 21 XXL, and the SD-1, and the SD-1 wins out by a mile.

You really should try one. They're cheap as hell, and really are a must-have pedal. If you buy one though, apparently, the old Japanes made ones are better. I've never tried one of the newer ones, but that's what people tell me. I've had mine for years. I can't even remember buying it.
                          Last edited by zeegler; 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                            I didnt have any luck with the BBE in my loop. It made it fizzy. It did add bottom end, but it lacked the Marshall Body of Sound with the Stomp in the loop.
                            I just messed around with it some more with the BBE engaged, and yes, it is very fizzy with the definition turned up. I cranked the definition down to about 9 oclock, and put the lo-contour at about 12 oclock, and it actually sounds pretty damn good. You can get an ultra-ass-heavy modern sound real easy with the BBE. Just crank the lo-contour up to about 3 oclock, and it gives you a stupid amount of bottom end. Stupid I tell ya. The funny thing is, with the BBE engaged, the Marshall begins to sound like my B-52.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              I can't compare it to the Bad Monkey because I've never tried one.

It's weird, some amps don't really seem to care what pedal you put in front of them, but the 900 really does accentuate the characteristics of overdrive pedals. So far, I've tried the DOD 250, the DOD YJM (which is pretty much the same pedal), the Tech 21 XXL, and the SD-1, and the SD-1 wins out by a mile.

You really should try one. They're cheap as hell, and really are a must-have pedal. If you buy one though, apparently, the old Japanes made ones are better. I've never tried one of the newer ones, but that's what people tell me. I've had mine for years. I can't even remember buying it.
                              I spent lunch today trying some out through an old JCM800. Sounded pretty good. I don't know if the Japanese ones actually do sound better or if I'm just imagining some additional mojo there, but there did seem to be a difference. The MIT one seemed thinner. Tried out a Blues Driver too. It sounded a thicker & fuller, but the SD-1s were growing on me the more I played them. Just wish I could've tried them all at gigworthy levels. In the end I left to think about it some more - I have trouble justifying paying so much for either of the two old Japanese SD-1s there when a brand new Taiwanese one is cheaper. And I'm a tightass.

I tried out a few other stomps too. The ZVex Box of Rock was very cool & a lot of fun, but I don't need a boost/distortion. The Retro-sonic Eight O Eight Overdrive was very nice too. The Crowther Hot Cake was probably my favourite. All were very cool, sounded great, leagues ahead of the Boss pedals but at 2-3 times the cost of the SD-1 too.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X