Stomp boxes and tube amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stomp boxes and tube amps

I always thought that the reason for getting a tube amp was so that you didn't have to put a pedal in front to get great distortion tones. This would be especially true if I spend >$2k on an amp. Is this not the case, cause I can also put a pedal in front of a SS amp.

Not trolling, but just want to be educated. btw, I do own tube amps.

Stomp box overdrives are just more options. I use a couple different overdrives with my Elmwood Modena M90. The dirty channel has plenty of gain so I don't use it on that. But I do run a Klon and a Fuchs Plush Overdrive on the clean channel which gives me two more great tones to work with.

Just putting a great overdrive in front of a solid state amp is not going to get you the same results.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Tim/folks..what about "tightening" up my Uber with the gain backed off. What is a decent OD stomp that includes a lead boost while having the distortion always ON.

Oh, I don't care about the loss of low end since I'm cutting the lows ALOT on the amp.

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Xotic!!!
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
          Tim/folks..what about "tightening" up my Uber with the gain backed off. What is a decent OD stomp that includes a lead boost while having the distortion always ON.

Oh, I don't care about the loss of low end since I'm cutting the lows ALOT on the amp.

the boss sd-1 with the gain off and level full on. you'll love it, Bill!

it will tighten the sound, add just the right amount of sustain, hair, and and make the harmonics really sing.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post

Too bad, I just sold the pedal for you. Xotic AC+. It has an overdrive and a booster that are both very good all in one pedal. Even better might be the Fulltone Fulldrive FD-2.

- Newc

Comment

One problem you will have Bill, no booster is going to kick the effective volume up in front of the Uberschall unless you have the gain WAY down. All that a boost in front of that amp will do is get more gain and compress more. To see what I mean, experiment with your guitar's volume control - notice that the actual volume doesn't get lower until you've cleaned it up a lot.

The way to get a boost out of the Uberschall is to run an anti-boost in the loop. You can use a good volume pedal or something like a Psionic Audio Lumos (basically a switchable volume control). This attenuates the volume from the preamp going to the power amp. It shouldn't fool with your tone but just change the actual volume.

This is one of the nice features of this Elmwood Modena head I have - it has switchable master volumes and you can automatically engage a gain boost circuit with the lead master volume.

- Newc

Comment

I use an Engl preamp, Marshall 9200 poweramp both all tube, and I'm using a Boss MT-2 in front to tighten things up cause I love the tone of the MT-2. I dont like the high end on it, but I back that off and use the EQ section of the Engl to dial everything in where I want.

I also have to back off the low end on both the MT-2 and the Engl cause the 9200 has a nice and tight low end to begin with.

If there was an MT-2 rack mount I wouldn't feel so bad...
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven
                Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                  Boss MT-2 in front to tighten things up cause I love the tone of the MT-2.

If there was an MT-2 rack mount I wouldn't feel so bad...
                  High Five! The MT-2 may be the most popular stomp box on the market!

Comment

they always did go good with a Marshall's clean channel.
                    Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 11-07-2008, 01:05 AM.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I would think so. Totally not the right application for the MT-2
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                        One problem you will have Bill, no booster is going to kick the effective volume up in front of the Uberschall unless you have the gain WAY down. All that a boost in front of that amp will do is get more gain and compress more. To see what I mean, experiment with your guitar's volume control - notice that the actual volume doesn't get lower until you've cleaned it up a lot.

The way to get a boost out of the Uberschall is to run an anti-boost in the loop. You can use a good volume pedal or something like a Psionic Audio Lumos (basically a switchable volume control). This attenuates the volume from the preamp going to the power amp. It shouldn't fool with your tone but just change the actual volume.

This is one of the nice features of this Elmwood Modena head I have - it has switchable master volumes and you can automatically engage a gain boost circuit with the lead master volume.
                        Here is something from the Uber manual that might help with the boost function for you if you are not running an effects unit through the loop. This applies to Ubers made after 8/16/04:
                        Volume Cut function. Second benefit. When no effect unit is plugged in the loop, the pot can be used as an adjustable "boost in reverse". Here's how to use this function as a boost, make sure no effect unit is in the loop: Turn the effect loop on and then turn DOWN the effect loop send control on the back panel to adjust your "normal" non-boosted volume level. When you turn the effects loop OFF the amp will get louder, instant boost! Perfect for solos! Once your happy with the ratio of boost to non-boost, then you can adjust the Global master volume on the front panel to determine your overall maximum volume level.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                          Here is something from the Uber manual that might help with the boost function for you if you are not running an effects unit through the loop. This applies to Ubers made after 8/16/04:
                          Volume Cut function. Second benefit. When no effect unit is plugged in the loop, the pot can be used as an adjustable "boost in reverse". Here's how to use this function as a boost, make sure no effect unit is in the loop: Turn the effect loop on and then turn DOWN the effect loop send control on the back panel to adjust your "normal" non-boosted volume level. When you turn the effects loop OFF the amp will get louder, instant boost! Perfect for solos! Once your happy with the ratio of boost to non-boost, then you can adjust the Global master volume on the front panel to determine your overall maximum volume level.
                          That's precisely what the Psionic Audio Lumos does in any serial loop. As long as the loop is switchable this technique will work in most amps that have loop levels.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                            That's precisely what the Psionic Audio Lumos does in any serial loop. As long as the loop is switchable this technique will work in most amps that have loop levels.
                            Yeah, but on older Ubers they didn't have a level knob on the back. I'm guessing thats where the built after 8/16/04 part comes in. I know Bill has had his Uber for a few years so I don't know if his has this knob or not. If it does, sounds like he's set unless he continues to use his G-Major in the loop.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

i have a mesa roadster, and i put a ts-808 infront of it to tighten and compress the tone, i also think it gives greater articulation to my jb's kinda that glossy marshall plexi tone....xcept with mega mesa tight crunch . (think ...and justice for all)

just as a note i use about 1/4 of an inch of the gain, you really dont need it at all cause the mesa has more gain than anyone needs, but it just adds a bit to tone i think.

Comment

Working...
                              X