EL34s VS EL84s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EL34s VS EL84s

What's the difference in tone? I always thought they sounded the same except that the EL84's were used for low-wattage tube amps. Apologize if this topic has been discussed before.
    Sam

Think EL34 Marshall/EL84 Vox.

Comment

I don't think that is exactly fair. Totally different preamps, and the Vox runs in Class A.

There are plenty of low wattage Plexi clones that use a pair or quad of EL84s in the back end.

Comment

that's a good point Don. Is there anyone who owns both a Carvin TS100 and a Mesa Boogie 20/20? The Carvin uses EL34's and the mesa EL84's. Do you notice any difference in tone?
        Sam

Comment

Well, I've run both 34s and 84s in my THD Univalve. Great way to compare the two, since you're using the same tone stack and circuit.

The EL84 almost sounds like it has a slight chorus on it. It seems to favor the top end of the spectrum. It's also really quiet next to a 34. It's really kind of wimpy, to my ear. I messed around with a few vintage 84s, plus some new production. I never heard anything I liked.

I've I were looking for a low-wattage amp, I'd want 6V6 or 6K6 instead. Both sound awesome in the Univalve.

Comment

I tried running one of my Riveras with the THD Yellowjackets, thereby replacing the EL34´s with EL84´s. The tone was slightly sweeter, brighter and less aggressive in the mids... which was very cool for the clean channel, but not what I was looking for on the lead channel.

Comment

My Mesa Subway Rocket runs on EL-84's. It's defintiely a middy amp, but still has plenty power, gain, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by atilla View Post
                Well, I've run both 34s and 84s in my THD Univalve. Great way to compare the two, since you're using the same tone stack and circuit.

The EL84 almost sounds like it has a slight chorus on it. It seems to favor the top end of the spectrum. It's also really quiet next to a 34. It's really kind of wimpy, to my ear. I messed around with a few vintage 84s, plus some new production. I never heard anything I liked.

If I were looking for a low-wattage amp, I'd want 6V6 or 6K6 instead. Both sound awesome in the Univalve.
                I really dig the middy sound of the EL84 in my Univalve, and I use JJs. EL34s and KT77s sound great in it, too, but I mainly prefer the EL84 most of the time. I haven't tried a 6V6 or 6K6 yet, but I do sometimes use a 6G6 to get a very good lower-wattage sound.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                  My Mesa Subway Rocket runs on EL-84's. It's defintiely a middy amp, but still has plenty power, gain, etc.
                  I had a Mesa F-30 combo, and the EL84s were pretty middy in that. I kinda miss that amp.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

As long as its not muddy, I'm fine with it.
                    Sam

Comment

Working...
                    X