Little Amp.....Monster tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Amp.....Monster tone?

Seeing as I really only have very limited space, I am looking for something small that will deliver BIG on tone....any suggestions?

On a side note, anyone tried one of these? "Crate V Series 33W Tube Guitar Amp Head"
    I know that it goes entirely against the thought process of what the thread title is, but for the prices that they're being blown at, I might just have to make space, if it is worth it LOL.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Small in size or wattage? Small watt tube amps deliver big tone.
    Last edited by Partial @ Marshall; 11-10-2008, 04:19 PM.
    www.JerryRobison.com
    '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

really?......never looked into them. can they be had for cheap?
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Epiphone valve jr with a pedal is pretty cool...class A is very touch responsive and will set you back about $100 or much less on the 'bay if your lucky. lots of mods out there to make it better sounding too. Crate blackheart is supposed to be cool too just haven't heard one (pretty much like the epiphone jr with a few more bells and whistles). Guytronix amp kits are cool too (~$300 and 12 hrs to build)...ragin' 1/2 watt. Not loud enough to practice with a band but a cool practice and recording tool.
        www.JerryRobison.com
        '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

My kids, Line 6 spider II..4 channels, run two fx at once, 30 wts. 12" celestion. Nice cleans to VERY heavy tones.

ABUSED everday for three years..not a single hiccup.

prolly can buy a used one for $100...
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            My kids, Line 6 spider II..4 channels, run two fx at once, 30 wts. 12" celestion. Nice cleans to VERY heavy tones.

ABUSED everday for three years..not a single hiccup.

prolly can buy a used one for $100...
            Solid state or tube on that bad boy?

Bombtek...what do you want to use the amp for? House playing, gigging or what?
            www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

Solid State..but sounds pretty damn good...Like a LOUD Recto at LOW volumes.

Ummm..fellow JCF bro (too high to remember name) posted a nice vid of his playing.. he used a PC-1 tho...I think.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

For cheap...Roland Cube 30..around $245.00 Great metal bedroom volume tone...

Now if you want a tiny terror...it's (imo) the Mesa 5:50 with 1 x 12"
                Man, i really thought it sounded like a Dual Rectifier Full Stack only at
                1/10th the volume.. :-)) Oh, they run about $925.00

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                  For cheap...Roland Cube 30..around $245.00 Great metal bedroom volume tone...

Now if you want a tiny terror...it's (imo) the Mesa 5:50 with 1 x 12"
                  Man, i really thought it sounded like a Dual Rectifier Full Stack only at
                  1/10th the volume.. :-)) Oh, they run about $925.00
                  How's that cheap BOBBY?!!

Comment

This is CHEAP..and it has the Bill Z Bub seal of approval!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
                      Solid state or tube on that bad boy?

Bombtek...what do you want to use the amp for? House playing, gigging or what?
                      House playing ............if ya heard me you'd understand LOL

Comment

If you have any pedals the epiphone takes them well. I would get the epi head & cabinet (1/2 stack) over the combo. If no pedals... the line 6 might be the better choice. Personally I prefer the tube amps with pedals. Roland cube 30 does do a pretty good low volume metal tone, never cranked one though.
                        www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

I would suggest going with a modeling amp.
                          Behringer V-Ampire LX112 is excellent
                          So is the Line 6 Spyder's and the Flextones
                          The Roland Cube 30 is a great all around amp.
                          If you don't want modeling you could look at the Galien Krueger ML250
                          If you want a straight up tube sound thats good for clean, blues and classic rock you could look at the Crate Vintage Club 30. Very nice solid amp. Takes pedals well too.

Comment

As tone is subjective, you will get as many different answers as responses. Go forth and check some gear...
                            www.JerryRobison.com

Comment

Blackheart Little Giant!!

Great tube amp and nice tone for the price.

Comment

Working...
                              X