Little Amp.....Monster tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I concur with the Line 6
    “The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is winning an argument with a liberal”

Comment

modeling - i'd go with a roland cube something

tube - i'd go with a peavey classic 30 and a cheap overdrive pedal like the boss sd-1.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

peavey has a new one out too thats pretty cheap
        Shop the best selection of popular guitars: ? guaranteed low price, ? free shipping, ? 0% financing, ? 8% back in rewards.

Comment

Mesa Subway Rocket if you like tube.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
            How's that cheap BOBBY?!!
            That cheap in my world! Thought you were semi retired??
            Spend some of those millions, will ya?? :ROTF:

Comment

My vote goes to the little Blackheart amps, and the o.d/dist. pedal of your choice. GREAT little amp.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Vox Valvetronix or Tech 21.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                  Seeing as I really only have very limited space, I am looking for something small that will deliver BIG on tone....any suggestions?

On a side note, anyone tried one of these? "Crate V Series 33W Tube Guitar Amp Head"
                  I know that it goes entirely against the thought process of what the thread title is, but for the prices that they're being blown at, I might just have to make space, if it is worth it LOL.
                  I have one of the Crate V Series 33 watt heads and it's the best bang for the buck I've ever bought! It's got tone for days and lots of options. If you put a Tube Screamer in the front it's very Marshally but it you stick a EQ in the loop you can get that scooped Mesa style tone. It's got PLENTY of volume and for $179 they just can be beat IMO.

Comment

I have a Valve JR head that I run through a 4 x 12 and put a metal zone in front of it. It really does sound great.

Comment

As already mentioned, Blackheart Little Giant. Also, many people know but always forget about the Fender Pro Junior - a great amp for playing and recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                        I have a Valve JR head that I run through a 4 x 12 and put a metal zone in front of it. It really does sound great.
                        I have the same thing, but no metal zone. I'm using my Johnson J-station with the valve jr for effects into Marshall 4x12. I couldn't believe how friggin loud 5 watts is through a 4x12.

Comment

I've been pretty happy the fender super champ xd. It has an easy to use modeled preamp with a small tube power amp. I think the vibra champ xd has the same tones but only one channel and is a little cheaper. It's a nice practice amp.

Comment

Originally posted by mjtripper View Post
                            I've been pretty happy the fender super champ xd. It has an easy to use modeled preamp with a small tube power amp. I think the vibra champ xd has the same tones but only one channel and is a little cheaper. It's a nice practice amp.
                            I've always been curious about these two little guys. Also, the smaller Chamion 600 or whatever it is called.

Comment

Bombtek brings up a really good question here. Finding a small amp for the house that sounds good, looks good and doesn't cost too much isn't as easy as it sounds. All the new stuff doesn't look so hot to me and the older small stuff is too expensive. A tweed Champ, blackface Princeton Reverb, brownface Deluxe, Gibson Explorer amp, old 1x12 Alamo, Pignose, blue Supro with "salt and pepper" grillclothe and an 8" speaker and an old Kay amp with one tube and a 6" speaker have been the best small amps I've owned. Of the newer stuff the Epi Valve Jr. is nice, I had one with a 1x12 Lopoline cab loaded with a Celestion from '85 that sounded great but it went in a sweet trade. The Vox Pathfinder always looked nice to me but I never played through one, I don't think they make those anymore but I'm not sure. Carr Amps came out with a 3 watt small amp with one EL-84 and a 10" speaker. It's called the Carr Raleigh and it looks really nice and has got to sound great. I always thought I could dial in a good sound on anything, even a rusty ass lookin' old Peavey Bandit. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, now I just jam out unplugged and bust out with the riffs down at the garage with our band.

Comment

I'm working on it.
                                Actually, I have built it (twice).

But it still takes good speakers...at the very least a single twelve, to make it work.

Comment

Working...
                                X