Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with pedal board

hi all,

A bit of a newbie question this, but i need some advice and i'm inexperienced.
    I have a PRS CE24 running through a Laney GH100TI amp and 412 cab.

I have started using effects for the first time, to the benefit of the band (to give other dynamics to the guitar sound, rather than chug chug!)

So i bought a Boss PCB-60 with the PSC-230e power supply. Now for pedals, I have a boss ds1 distortion, a boss ce-5 chorus, a Planet waves CT04 Pedal tuner and a boss aw-3 auto-wah.
    Now the problem i have is...

2)when running the pedals on batteries i get no hum through the amp, but on mains power there is hum, Particularly worse when the tuner is on and the signal is bypassed and through the tuner.

1) which order should the pedals run?(was going wah-dis-chor-tuner)

I had a gig recently when i took the above but with my dean vmnt1 and i was getting loads of unwanted hum and feedback when the guitar was turned up, and it ruined the gig, because i didnt take a spare guitar and was inexperienced in fixing it.
    So the next day i split the board down and started from basics on batteries and just the chorus and tuner, No hum, and good tone.
    But i want the board running right ideally on mains and with all the pedals.

thanks for your time

What does it do if you take the tuner out of the set-up completely?
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

take the tuner out of the chain and there is no noise. there is no noise when the tuner is connected in the signal chain and on bypass, the noise/hum comes when the tuner is switched on when its connected to mains. A way round that is to run it on a 9v battery
      I think the problem at the gig was active pickups on the vmnt and a earth loop problem with the venue.

What order should the pedals run?

Comment

by the way, i thought i'd add i'm running the effects between the guitar and amp. Should they run in the effects loop of the tube amp?

Comment

general rule of thumb is time based effects (delays, chorus, etc) run in the loop, and overdrives distortiond etc, go in front of the amp, wahs can vary and you have to use your ears to tell you on that.

Comment

thanks paige.

I can run extra leads back to the amp from the pedal board to the amp to patch into the effects loop. I've been using the DS-1 as a lead boost with the tone/dist levels about 9pm. I'm the only guitarist in the band. Should i really be using a EQ pedal and would that be the only pedal going into the preamp then? I dont want to over complicate my set up.

Comment

I run my chain like this (no fx loop)...tuner,wah, distortion,chorus,delay. roughly. This sequence has worked great for me. I also have a looper for solos that has a boost and such. Now I'm changing everything this week so all bets are off. .
              www.JerryRobison.com
              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

your ds1 should be going to the front along with a eq (the eq part is argueable but thats the way I like it). You can use your eq as another stage of gain by boosting for leads and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by paige View Post
                  your ds1 should be going to the front along with a eq (the eq part is argueable but thats the way I like it). You can use your eq as another stage of gain by boosting for leads and whatnot.
                  i should be swapping out the ds1 for an eq then? (is that worthwhile) i dont like the ds1 for it's distortion, i only put it back in to boost volume for lead work. When it's in front it ruins the gain the laney is producing, hence why i turn the tone/dist down and increase the level for extra volume.

Comment

Get a noise gate pedal. I know many (including myself at one point of time) would argue that if you have a clean power source and keep the gain at check, you dont need a noise gate. I was on the same page until I started practicing at my bandmate's garage. He does not have good grounding (or probably none) and I get a terrible hum which was simply not there in my house. In future, if you plan on gigging and you end up in club which also has such problems, you will thank your noise-gate. Also, it should solve your humming problem. I have the noise-gate right after my behringer tuner. The behringer is dead quiet (even at my friend's garage), but the mxr after that, helps just in case.

Also, see if you can get the godlyke powerall power adapter. It does not have a transformer like traditional power supplies. Hence no 50 cycle hum.
                    Sam

Comment

ok i've been playing about with the rig over the last hour or so, tried into the pedal board into the tuner, then plug that into the ds 1 and out to amp. Get hum when tuner on. Disconnect 1/4 jack lead from tuner to ds1. still get hum! lol So its a mains problem transfering the noise through the dc cable and back in to the ds1.
                      To be honest i'm lost and i have lovely tone through the laney with the guitar plugged straight in. think the old saying of 'if it isnt broke then dont try and fix it' relates here.

I like things simple, don't like too many variables.

Oh what to do!

Comment

agreed, and back to the ds1, if you like the natural distortion of your amp dump the ds1 and use a eq boost or pickup boost for leads and you should be good to go. I have a ds1 that works as a great paperweight, that is about it. Although I hear modded they can really add a nice dimension, but now all I got is vetta so no need for it.

Comment

try putting the tuner 1st. and buy a box of batteries.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

i'm thinking the same thing paige and rebel, but nice to have it 2nd and 3rd'd!

what sort of eq boost would you recommend?

Comment

im looking at a MXR M-109 6 band eq pedal, that suits my budget. What do you think paige?

Comment

Working...
                              X