4 or 16ohms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 or 16ohms?

Hi another stupid question. my 212 cabinet has 2 mono inputs, 4 or 16ohms. My amp can power both, I understand why it is 4 and 16ohm (x2 8ohm speakers, 4ohm parallel 16ohm series)

Which one is most suitable??

can your amp power both with no loss of power? if so then i'd go for 16 ohms. i always felt like when i ran my 412 at 16 ohms it sounded better. cant really say why, it just did.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
      can your amp power both with no loss of power? if so then i'd go for 16 ohms. i always felt like when i ran my 412 at 16 ohms it sounded better. cant really say why, it just did.
      Probably sounds better because you're pushing the transformers harder...
      www.JerryRobison.com
      '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Originally posted by Partial @ Marshall View Post
        Probably sounds better because you're pushing the transformers harder...
        Not really, the wattage should be the same in both cases, as long as there are both 4 and 16 ohm taps on the transformer. The biggest difference between the two configurations will be lower inductance through the cabinet in the case of the 4 ohm parallel connection. This will change your bass response slightly. It should really only be a subtle difference so try it both ways and use the configuration that sounds the best to you.
        "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

well i find the amp runs alittle hotter on 16ohms compared to 4ohm. I would say the amp sounded better on 16ohm.

the amp has single 4/8/16ohm outputs and dual on 4/8 to give 2-16 or 2-8 for running stacks

Comment

I have a VS1880 digital workstation whose headphone output is 8-50ohm. Beyerdynamic headphones only seem to be available in 400ohm. I can't find any 8 or 16ohm versions, nor can I find any replacement cables let alone ear pads to fit to my "2x8ohm" pair of DT100's. Noone here stocks Beyer stuff anymore.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
              Not really, the wattage should be the same in both cases, as long as there are both 4 and 16 ohm taps on the transformer. The biggest difference between the two configurations will be lower inductance through the cabinet in the case of the 4 ohm parallel connection. This will change your bass response slightly. It should really only be a subtle difference so try it both ways and use the configuration that sounds the best to you.
              Hmmm. Maybe....Something to think about
              www.JerryRobison.com
              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
              X