5150 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
    ok so i send my 5150 to the shop. they say there was a bad solder and replaced the power tubes. cost me $150 so i get back, plug it up and damn its loud now, but my gain still isnt there(its there,just more like ac/dc than it is slayer), not only that now i got a noise in my loops return jack. can someone tell me does my rhythm channel have to be on crunch in order to get serious gain on my lead channel?
    No man, Those are two different channels. It sounds like a preamp tube prob. Try what Cleveland Metal said and swap some around. You should have gobs of gain with the knob set from 4.5 to 6 on the lead (right) channel. Far from AC/DC..Unless you're playing through the clean channel (Left) with the crunch button pushed in. :think:
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
      No man, Those are two different channels. It sounds like a preamp tube prob. :think:
      yeah thats what i figured. i know the bright changes the lead sound so wasnt sure if the crunch would too. i changed the preamp tubes around with no change of coure i only had one spare so i switched em out one at a time(maybe2 or more are bad?no idea). shop said my preamp tubes were good. maybe they didnt even check em.
      i had it on the lead channel with pre at 6 and post at 3 and it sounded like shit. gain was weak and super thin. i took the head back to the shop and hopefully they dont try to charge me another $150

Comment

ok so i finally get my head back again. had to pay another 43 bucks so i've spent 193 to get my head in prime condition and it was worth it. this thing sounds awesome thru my mesa cab. the guy said he didnt do anything to the head and that there was nothing wrong, but i gave him my head with two screws on my preamptube cover and i got it back with all the screws. i think he fixed what he missed and tried to act like it was fine in the first place. oh well, its good now.

just like you said it should be horns666. tons of gain at 6

Comment

Success!

Have fun with it

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
            Success!

Have fun with it

yeah thanks for your help bro. your info helped.

Comment

Yep... 5150's are FUN.

Comment

I also had the same issue with the volume cutting out when I first bougth my 5150. I pretty much had the same problem, some solders. I paid $80 to have it serviced and it works like a champ now.

Since them I have dropped my 5150 off the stack TWICE. My kid decided to roll it down the drive way and it tilted and fell. Luckily he wasn't hurt. Another time I was pulling it and the cab wheel got caught on some carpet causing it to tilt. The head fell and slammed onto a glass door. Luckily the head and the door were fine. Unfortunately, the cab fell on my foot, along with the weight of the head, and probably broke my foot. I never went to the doctor but the swelling lasted 3 weeks and the pain has finally subsided after 2 months. One thing's for sure the 5150 cab has the crappiest casters ever made.

Now don't forget to pick up a 422 Sonic Maximizer.
                Last edited by krimson; 01-07-2009, 04:57 PM.
                Damn, I love this Interweb.

Comment

Originally posted by krimson View Post
                  Now don't forget to pick up a 422 Sonic Maximizer.
                  i have a sonic stomp, but would it be worth it to get a 422? i feel like i got ripped on the servicing fees, but it works so i cant complain too much. i had to add a 212 to the mix. now it looks like this

edit- should i put the 212 on the bottom or does it matter?

Comment

I used one of these in my effects loop on a sig 5150.

Sounded better to me than the 422 I had. Most guys here prefer the 422 but I do not think they ever tried one of these instead.
                    Scott
                    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

very interesting. i may have to try one

Comment

Working...
                      X