X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
    AK, is the Strategy a 100w?
    What kind of tubes are in those? 6L6's
    The Strategy is 400watts and I can power 4 cabs with it if I chose to. Yes it has 6l6s I am almost 100% on that I am too lazy to go double check right now. I want to put the original Mesa Tubes back in because I always like the stock tube sound.

Here is a good post on the Strategy400 I found with some neat information.

"Ahhh, The strategy 400. Now thats an amp! This Mesa amplifier was specifically built for touring professionals that were using multiple(as in 4) cabs or more. Its loaded with 12 tubes. And it is built like a tank. Its sound is unmistakeable. As was mentioned, the headroom is incredible, and thats what drew many players to it. Its sound was so pristine clean and warm, this amp actually jumped genres. Besides us guitarists in search for the ultimate tone, as well as bassists looking to rumble rooms,audiophile guys (that means HUGE stereo heads) were buying these, modding them with RCA inputs, and using them to power their Nakamichi tape decks, their $5000 record players and other super high end stereo equipment. It was so popular to mod these amps, that for a while, Boogie took those mods, added a VU meter to it and called it The Baron power amp. Its just a stereo system optimized Strategy 400! And yes, it does sound that good. Those audiophile guys are sticklers for transparent sound and amps that DONT color their music. And boy do these amps deliver. Its claim to fame is its headroom. You can push it to unbelieveable levels and it wont break up. It'll just sit there glowing brightly while its tearing not only the paint, but the plaster off the walls while causing structural damage to the club. Glass windows dont last long around this amp. Its BRUTALLY loud, and equally heavy(weight wise). It delivers EXACTLY what you pump into it. So if you're looking for a power amp to color your tone a bit, and help your preamp by softly compressing and shaping its output, this isnt the amp for you. You'd probably be more happy with a 50/50. If you want a BRUTALLY LOUD, EXACT representation of the signal you're running into it. Then this is your amp. There was one in a store I worked at I used to enjoy running a Studio pre through and shake all the guitars on the walls. Not to mention eliminating any phone converstions in the WHOLE store. We'd scream"INCOMING!" and let the shred licks rip! Ahh those were the days! Well, all I can say is, if you find this amp for $550 or below in decent condition, its a good deal for sure."

Comment

Let me clarify the Mesa Strategy has Groove Tubes in it. I want to put the original tubes back in it which are:
      6L6GC & 6CA7/EL34

Also look what I found I really want this in a real bad way for my home stereo. Its a Strategy400 modded for home use:
      http://cgi.ebay.com/MESA-BOOGIE-BARO...1%7C240%3A1318

Comment

I wonder if that Baron could be reverse engineered back into a Strategy?
        Other than the RCA mods there shouldn't be that much difference.

And that's supposed to be the whole premise behind poweramps to begin with: To deliver an uncolored sound. Whatever is put into it, only comes out louder.

My 9200 is the same in that respect, because it doesn't really color the sound as much as it amplifies it. Atleast to my ears anyway.
        Now I do have to say that the overall sound changed when I retubed it with TungSol's and removed the original Sovteks, but as with and tubed unit some change is expected when that's done.

Thanks alot for the information on that Strategy 400, cause I am un schooled in Mesa products yet they have always intrigued me, but the price scared me away.

I'm gonna check youtube to see if there's examples of some Mesa's on there.
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I wonder if that Baron could be reverse engineered back into a Strategy?
          Other than the RCA mods there shouldn't be that much difference.

And that's supposed to be the whole premise behind poweramps to begin with: To deliver an uncolored sound. Whatever is put into it, only comes out louder.

My 9200 is the same in that respect, because it doesn't really color the sound as much as it amplifies it. Atleast to my ears anyway.
          Now I do have to say that the overall sound changed when I retubed it with TungSol's and removed the original Sovteks, but as with and tubed unit some change is expected when that's done.

Thanks alot for the information on that Strategy 400, cause I am un schooled in Mesa products yet they have always intrigued me, but the price scared me away.

I'm gonna check youtube to see if there's examples of some Mesa's on there.
          If you shop around you will find a Strategy 400s for around 800 dollars. I would not get the Baron for a guitar amp. I do want it for my home stereo system though.

Comment

I wouldn't use it for a guitar amp either, I was just wondering.
            My 9200 has been faithful and I'd hate to replace it, cause it's a monster and no one uses them much anymore. In fact Horns666 is one of only 3 people that I know who has one and that's including myself.
            I know guys who use the 50w 9100 version though.

Actually the Strategy is probably rare as well among rack users.
            I might start a rack mount thread to see what everyone is using.
            Thanks again brother, very cool of ya!
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Im not that far away

Im in outer Loudoun county Va (not too far from the PA state line) and have an amazing sounding Mesa Studio pre going through an older 2:90.The Studio is very underrated and I believe a big part of the holy grail brad gillis tone (speak of the devil) . Not much for versatility but I use a Rockman octopus to do add midi channel switching to it and the power amp. Great sounding kit. if you ever want to make the trip you'll be a believer
              ///MK

I would love to hear these rigs, but you guys live so damn far away from me!!
              My Marshall 9200 also has 8 power tubes, but they are 5881's.
              http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Working...
              X