Egnater Rebel 20w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egnater Rebel 20w

I spent about 20 minutes playing around with this amp at GC over the weekend. It was running through the matching 1x12 cab. I plugged a Tele and a Les Paul into it and I really liked this amp! Wondering if any of you have any experience with it. Anyone tried it through a 4x12? Tried running a POD or other modeler through the fx loop? I was just plugged straight in and got very nice cleans, a fantastic blues tone, and a good rock sound. I'm curious as to how good a modeler would sound through the loop for the heavier tones. I think this amp and a POD XT Live may replace my Vetta. I can never seem to dial in a slightly dirty tone on the vetta that makes me happy. Now I'm just babbling....

What's everyone's thoughts on the Rebel?

it was rated 5 stars in premier guitar magazine dec. issue
    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
    1959Epiphone les paul
    george L cables
    mxr pedals
    Engl fireball 100

Comment

I ordered one from music123. Didn't like the higher gain much. Clean and mid gains were pretty good. Overall it seemed to lack authority (kind of light weight sounding)
      "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

What kind of cab were you using, Frosty?

Comment

I tried in a couple. Avatar premier vintage 1x12 open back with celestion gold. Avatar premier vintage 2x12 closed with green backs. Another of the same with g12h30 and v30.
          "Yes,..that's when they used to shove a red hot spike in your peehole until you screamed "yes, yes, godammit ..you fuggin' dicks..I'm a witch..I am witch..you cocksuckers"" horns666

Comment

I'd be plugging it into a Marshall 4x12 with V30's. I'll have to try that combination out before buying. I thought it sounded really good through the matching 1x12 though.

Comment

Originally posted by fr0sty View Post
              I ordered one from music123. Didn't like the higher gain much. Clean and mid gains were pretty good. Overall it seemed to lack authority (kind of light weight sounding)
              How much gain did it have? Could it do heavier metal without the need for a pedal to boost it?
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                How much gain did it have? Could it do heavier metal without the need for a pedal to boost it?
                It has a fair amount of gain, but it's kind of ratty. It's workable for low volumes, but gets kind of out of control the louder you go.

This is low volume. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=549491

Comment

Cool, thanks. I just saw an ad for this in Guitar Player and was wondering. How's the effects loop?

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    Cool, thanks. I just saw an ad for this in Guitar Player and was wondering. How's the effects loop?
                    I was noisy with my m13. There has been some postings on the gear page about that issues. Egnater has a simple fix, from what I read there.

Comment

Thanks. I'll have to check one out eventually. I like small, low-wattage amps.

Comment

Tried one of these twice in the past few days.

Very cool amp. It's hard to get an ugly tone out of it. I think is very good as a practice or studio amp. I didn't try it full tilt.

I play mainly 80s metal, and think this amp does it very well.

Comment

The way things look now I wont be tugging an amp around outside the house anytime soon. I wish even more people could go check it out and post their opinion.
                          What do you guys think about the labor quality of the amp, was it just thrown together? Do you like the idea of being able to mix the el34s and the 6v6s?

Comment

Don't know about the quality without taking it apart.

I could hear the difference when dialing between tubes. I pretty much played with three positions on the dial - 6V6, both, and EL84. I can't really describe what I heard other than it sounded good. When set at 12 oclock in the middle, the amp was louder. I'm guessing it's because you are using all 4 power tubes at once.

The wattage dial was interesting as well. I'd love to take this amp apart to see how he did it. My guess is that it's like variac on the power tubes, controlling the plate voltage.

The tight and bright switches seem to work good as well. My guess is that the tight switch adds/removes a cap across the cathode bias resistor. Bright switches are easy.

I'd like Cyg to try one of these and see what he thinks.

Comment

cyg and horns both. I just about pooped my pants when I saw what the silver jubilee? (is that the name of the amp you were talking about? those are out of my reach) were going for.

Comment

Working...
                              X