Building a 2 X 12" Speaker Cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a 2 X 12" Speaker Cab

Just because of the cost difference in them.....but would any 8 ohm 12 inch speakers work?

I've been looking at car audio speakers such as

because of the different colors that they seem to offer.

Anyone ever tried to use that type of speaker (car audio) for guitar amp output?
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

No.
    Musical instrument speakers are voiced differently than stereo speakers.
    Wattage ratings don't compare either. The guitar speaker is much beefier in the voice coil and the surrounds. A 100 watt stereo speaker will throw a voice coil with a 15 watt guitar amp signal.

Sonically..the stereo speaker will generally sound awful...muddy, bass heavy (not in a good way), and won't transmit the mids and highs because the cone vibrates too much.

Comment

I've got a Tubeworks 2x12 vertical cabinet. It's for sale. I'm in NYC. It would have to be a pickup if you're interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
        No.
        Musical instrument speakers are voiced differently than stereo speakers.
        Wattage ratings don't compare either. The guitar speaker is much beefier in the voice coil and the surrounds. A 100 watt stereo speaker will throw a voice coil with a 15 watt guitar amp signal.

Sonically..the stereo speaker will generally sound awful...muddy, bass heavy (not in a good way), and won't transmit the mids and highs because the cone vibrates too much.
        Thanks, that's what I needed to hear!!
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Working...
        X