Boss GT-8 vs GT-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT-8 vs GT-10

Want to pick one of these up but can't decide which... Local store has the GT-10s for $430 and they have a left over GT8 that they are trying to get $399 for . I can get a used one for probably $300-325 after shipping/customs, so is it worth the extra $100 for the GT-10? I think the silver casing is ugly and I hate that they removed 90% of the knobs and buttons and put everything on generic Parameter knobs forcing you to go through menus upon menus of stuff to change the stuff you actually want to change...

Does anyone have enough experience with both to guide me in the right direction here? I don't even need half the features the GT8 offers so the GT10 might be overkill but still, it's $30 more if I go the brand new route.... Decisions, decisions... ugh!

GT8 user here. I've own mine for the past 2 years and still using it. For 30$ more I'd go with the GT10.
    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

+2. I've owned a GT-8 since it because available in the UK. My GT-10 is waiting for me to pay off at the end of the month. 6 days to go...
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The GT10 is worth the extra money for sure. The lack of knobs make it easier to tweak because you can adjust multiple parameters at the same time with the screen.
        Its a monster.

Comment

One more vote for the GT10.
          Disclaimer: Never owned or tried the GT8, but I've used a GT5 for years.

The one thing that puts the GT10 heaps and bounds above the older versions is that they got rid of the tone loss in 4-cable-method. Which was present till the GT8 AFAIK, and a real downer when trying to use the amps preamp (which I always do).
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

You can get rid of the tone suck with the GT-8 too. I could even do it with the GT-6. Its all in matching the input and output gain and messing with the global EQ.
            The GT-10 is ready to go in that department.

Comment

If this helps...20% off tomorrow at SamAsh! That would mean you
              could walk out with the GT10 for around $420.00 including tax i think?
              I loved the 8...but the 10 is so much easier to navigate around on,
              plus the audio quality imo is 50% better! Think "TC Electronic" quality...

Just one of the cool clean presets in the GT-10

I usually just borrow...beg or steal stuff...so this has me wondering? LOL

Comment

I have zero tone-suck w/ my GT-8 running 4 cable. (??)

and I didn't mess around with it at all.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

I got my GT-10 yesterday. Argh! my eyes! Those fucking lights really are bright.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                    I have zero tone-suck w/ my GT-8 running 4 cable. (??)

and I didn't mess around with it at all.
                    I had 0 suck with my GT-6 when plugged into a Carvin X100B
                    I think tweaking is dependent on the amp. I couldn't get it set up correctly at all with my SLO100. It was also a bear to tweak with any of the Rectifiers that I have owned. Those amps prefer nothing in the loop.
                    It worked great with the 5150.
                    The GT-8 had very similar results.

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                      I have zero tone-suck w/ my GT-8 running 4 cable.
                      Same here with a Marshall DSL50.
                      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        I had 0 suck with my GT-6 when plugged into a Carvin X100B
                        I think tweaking is dependent on the amp. I couldn't get it set up correctly at all with my SLO100. It was also a bear to tweak with any of the Rectifiers that I have owned. Those amps prefer nothing in the loop.
                        It worked great with the 5150.
                        The GT-8 had very similar results.
                        A stock SLO loop and most Boogie loops are proably the worst on the market.
                        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Well, excuse the thread resurrection, but I must say I love this GT-10. Loaded some GT-8 patches, and whilst I had to do a little editing to make the delay sound less "dry", I was able to get more or less the same sound and in some cases better. Not had the need to use the dual preamp mode yet. The bigger screen displays a lot of info including in/out levels for each FX block. And having 8 assigns and a master EQ per patch, plus a phrase loop make it a powerful piece of kit. I especially like the fact you can choose between "Patch" and "System" for various parameters. £319 well spent.
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have the same dilemma.

The thing is I'm looking for a multieffects unit and I could wither get a used GT8 now, or wait till I save some money and get a new GT10.

The used GT8 is less than half the price of the GT10. So is the later worth the extra cash?

Another option could be the ME-50 (again I can get it used really cheap or new at a little more than the used GT8). I have a full tube amp which I want to use it (either of them) with but I also want to use it as a stand alone unit through an audio system or headphones. My amp has NO effects loop so some effects would be unusable with the preamp gain (but I still get the distortion/overdrive from the pedal).

Thanks!
                            Last edited by ebh; 06-23-2009, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I'm not using my GT-10 much since I got an AxeFx, but the GT-10 is a nice unit. It works especially well with tube amps. I've never had a GT-8, but many folks are happy with those as well. The GT-10 has a lot of new features like the looper that would make it worth the extra money IMO. How about getting a used GT-10?

You don't have to have an effects loop to utilize all of the effects. Just go into the front input of the amp and set the amp as clean as possible and the tone controls as neutral as possible, then use the GT-10 for all of your sounds. That setup is not totally ideal (going into the effects return is generally better), but it can still sound good.

Comment

Working...
                              X