Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a JVM?

Dear Abby,

I'm about ready to crack. I only wanted to buy one amp, a nice little Mark IV, but now I find myself falling for a second one - the JVM. Is monogampy really worth it? I would still love and keep the Mark IV. If I get the second one now, what will stop me from whoring myself to a thrid and so on? What should I do?

On a related note how does anyone get married? I can't even commit to one guitar or amp for more than a year. How would I ever find a woman I could stand to be with for a long time?

Wrong place to ask those questions around here! Some of us, have
    6 to 10 amps... and they want more! Your doomed!

Comment

I now pronounce you, Man and Amp...

I certainly keep amps around longer than women... Guitarstuff, if you throw enough money at it, it will work right and do as you wish... Women???? hahahahaha... Not...

Seriously tho, get a an ENGL, VHT, Framus, even a 5150... haha... JVM? nah...

Comment

the grass ain't always greener on the other side of the fence, but it sure tastes different.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The JVM is one of the best sounding amps I've tried. I heard there is not many returns/complaints in connection with defects/problems. The couple that did come back were very minor problems. John Comprix (Beyond fear) took my advice and bought one over the KK Marshall. For what its worth, he's in three bands and plays out with them often without a glich..and he's owned, played 5150s, Engls, Framus, Deizel, and my Uber...ect.

I really get along with the JVM, and like it alot. I would consider buying a nice used one. I wished they included the built-in noise gate that's on the KK Model...it really works well, and the JVM's high gain channel can certainly use it. But It has all the gain and girth you'll need, and the cleans sound decent.

I think it's the best SOUNDING Marshall head to date..for my needs anywhoo.

BTW I've been married for 21 years and married to my Marshall stacks for 13 years...I'm still happy with both of 'em.
          Last edited by horns666; 12-02-2008, 02:30 AM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Amps ... are like Ice Cream - there's loads of good flavours, but only one is your fav on a particular day
            or you might like to mix a couple of flavours to get your taste of the day
            :-)

Comment

Why does John Comprix come into every conversation...Not like he's that great a player, definitely not like he's much for tone... Almost seems like he gets whatever amp "you" think is cool shortly after you talk with him... That's pretty funny in itself.

I don't think I'd put much into "him" owning something, as he probably won't own in a few months haha...

Comment

Originally posted by cookiemonster2 View Post
                On a related note how does anyone get married? I can't even commit to one guitar or amp for more than a year. How would I ever find a woman I could stand to be with for a long time?

..You could move to Utah and convert to Mormanism.. d:^) Schneeky..
                Fat, dumb & happy in the corner with my G-DEC.
                It's always on time, has none of those human "issues", never bores or bitches about my "torturing of the stringed beasty"..
                Laugh all ya want..

Comment

The JVM is pretty decent if you get an excellent deal - there are better amps at the standard price though IMO.

Whatever you do, don't get the Vintage Modern - damn that thing sounds like canned ass.
                  I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                    The JVM is pretty decent if you get an excellent deal - there are better amps at the standard price though IMO.

Whatever you do, don't get the Vintage Modern - damn that thing sounds like canned ass.

aw man, i think the vintage modern sounds great if you set it right with the matching cab. some people (like my old guitarist in Rokker) set every amp to that masquito attack sound and yes that does sound like canned ass. but Paul Gilbert and Slash make them sound amazing.
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

The JVM is incredible. I've owned lots of Marshalls, this one is the best and by far the most flexible for different styles.

And I have to disagree with Tim, the Vintage Modern sounds great in the right hands. Paul Gilbert hasn't always had good tone, that's for sure...but lately some of the stuff I've heard with him playing through that amp sounds great.

P.S. - I've been married a long time but I make up for my monogamy by buying guitars. And jacking a LOT.
                      Last edited by Big D; 12-02-2008, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                        Why does John Comprix come into every conversation...Not like he's that great a player, definitely not like he's much for tone... Almost seems like he gets whatever amp "you" think is cool shortly after you talk with him... That's pretty funny in itself.

I don't think I'd put much into "him" owning something, as he probably won't own in a few months haha...
                        Well, because John constantly tours the world with some pretty big boys with said amps. He turned down a spot with Nevermore, assuming as a rythm player..and he takes MY "tone" advice, and he really respects me as player...so, he's doing something right.

Call it a "mutual respect" kinda thing..

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The Tesla guys are playing stock JVM's. I talked to Frank Hannon about his and he had nothing but good things to say about them.

Comment

Originally posted by Big D View Post
                            The Tesla guys are playing stock JVM's. I talked to Frank Hannon about his and he had nothing but good things to say about them.
                            He's seems like a really cool and funny guy.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXprhM5qfT0

Comment

The Tesla boys are great. I remember playing "Rock me to the Top" in a Hollywood Guitar shop when they came in. They were really cool about me hacking up their song

Comment

Working...
                              X