amp advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp advice

i was wondering what sort of amp i should buy to nail the guitar sound from barry manilow's latest album. i have a lot of money so i don't want a cheap modeling amp. i was thinking one of those rare 5150's i am always reading about, or that boogner uberschill....

if i can tell a secret, barry manilow is my favorite and why i got into guitar in the first place. i have been chasing the guitar tone from "feelings" for half my life. i have tried fenders, boogies, marshalls, riveras, line 6s, roland jazz chorus amps, musicman hd130s.....i can't get it!!!

what do you guys suggest in order for me to find the tone of my dreams?

BTW - i am using a hamer rick neilsen signature model guitar and no effects. i just want the pure barry manilow tone - the tone NOBODY seems to have!!!!!
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Mark, I am reading between the lines and I get it bro. Sometimes the JCF is grueling.

Comment

:ROTF: I laughed so hard, I peed a little!
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Barry Manilow? A Randall Warhead, no doubt there...

5150's are much too rare and no one really has much to say about what to do with them.

Comment

Your problem all this time of finding that "Manilow" tone for feelings, is because it was written and performed by another artist.Anybody here know the true artist? I can't remember who but I don't think it was Manilow. Try Steinway amps for Manilow's tone.

Mark you been here too long...like some of the rest of us!

Comment

Nice one, Mark! :ROTF:

Comment

Krankenstien!

Comment

none of those mentioned are not br00tlz enough to nail the Barry tone....its all about gobs of gain bro...u should know that by now. I think that the uber or powerball with a heavy metal pedal, DS1, SD1 ( drive dimed) all TS9 all in front (no in the loop) should get you there...a tad noisy tho but dayum ..talk about da br00tlz!!!!!!

oh yeah...add a Floyd to your Hamer and either EMG's or whatever has the highest output # from Dimarzio or Duncan, rip out the tone and volume ctrols and wire directly to output jack
                Last edited by Shawn Lutz; 12-07-2008, 11:23 AM.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Shawn is pretty close...

Manilow (or BM as we in 'the know" affectionately call him) deveoped what I call the "Greenish Brown sound" heard first in the early Manilow recordings (before he sold out). To get a good BM, you need a few things...

I've been seeking a good BM and the Greenish Brown Sound since the 70's... So, I like to regard myself as a bit of a expert on BM...

You definitely need some effects... The early Script Logo Metal zones are very important to the subtle nuances you need to reproduce... I run several together and this really helps "get it".... Very subtle, yet important...

After years of dialing these bad boys in... I found that I was missing a few things, I had a Brownish BM but needed more green in it.... Manilow would usually turn his rack from the audience, so it was hard to find out his secrets. But one night, I found his tech in a bar in downtown Hollywood one night and found out a few things that were uselful...

The main ingredient in a good Greenish Brown Sound BM, is this monster...

This added a bit of a fart nuance to the greenish Brown sound BM that really is imprtant to having a good BM....

Working closely with Digitech, BM excreted this pedal, which really does so much to nail the the Green Brown BM...

THIS is a big part of the Green Brown Sound magic...

However later in his career, after experiencing the likes of shredders of the early 80s... Everyone was really up to here with Greenish Brown BM. He needed something that would push BM out with a force that would make a splash like the word hadn't heard yet...

His cup runneth over... BM literally exploded onto the scene with this little gem....

As you can see, I've devoted a lot of time to a good Greenish Brown BM. Over the years, I've even driven hundreds of miles to campout on his lawn and even made friends with his neighbors... Aside from a few restraining orders and a couple months in jail, it was a great ride...

On a more personal level...

BM, if you're reading this, and I know you watch this site closely and my own fansite I made for you as a shrine, I can only say, I'm sorry for the things I had to do to get a good Greenish Brown BM, and apologize to you Barry for trying to bring you back to the stage to at least hear a good Greenish Brown Sound BM one more time. I realize the septic system thing was a bit much, ummm, yeah... Sorry about that...

I just know you have a lot of good BM in you, and need to force it out for your fans...

Comment

All I can do is imagine Borat offering these replies :ROTF:
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                      i was wondering what sort of amp i should buy to nail the guitar sound from barry manilow's latest album. i have a lot of money so i don't want a cheap modeling amp. i was thinking one of those rare 5150's i am always reading about, or that boogner uberschill....

if i can tell a secret, barry manilow is my favorite and why i got into guitar in the first place. i have been chasing the guitar tone from "feelings" for half my life. i have tried fenders, boogies, marshalls, riveras, line 6s, roland jazz chorus amps, musicman hd130s.....i can't get it!!!

what do you guys suggest in order for me to find the tone of my dreams?

BTW - i am using a hamer rick neilsen signature model guitar and no effects. i just want the pure barry manilow tone - the tone NOBODY seems to have!!!!!

OH FUCK!!!

GOT MORE KERRANG!!!!

I think I pulled something important, I laughed so hard! :ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

Bring the beatdown!
                      There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

John!

Yoly Chit!!!!

That is a classic...post of the week!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
                          none of those mentioned are not br00tlz enough to nail the Barry tone....its all about gobs of gain bro...u should know that by now. I think that the uber or powerball with a heavy metal pedal, DS1, SD1 ( drive dimed) all TS9 all in front (no in the loop) should get you there...a tad noisy tho but dayum ..talk about da br00tlz!!!!!!
                          well sure, man. But that's why every player should have a noise gate in his chain. They are an essential pedal - along with the BBE Sonic Stomp
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                            Shawn is pretty close...

Manilow (or BM as we in 'the know" affectionately call him) deveoped what I call the "Greenish Brown sound" heard first in the early Manilow recordings (before he sold out). To get a good BM, you need a few things...

I've been seeking a good BM and the Greenish Brown Sound since the 70's... So, I like to regard myself as a bit of a expert on BM...

You definitely need some effects... The early Script Logo Metal zones are very important to the subtle nuances you need to reproduce... I run several together and this really helps "get it".... Very subtle, yet important...

After years of dialing these bad boys in... I found that I was missing a few things, I had a Brownish BM but needed more green in it.... Manilow would usually turn his rack from the audience, so it was hard to find out his secrets. But one night, I found his tech in a bar in downtown Hollywood one night and found out a few things that were uselful...

The main ingredient in a good Greenish Brown Sound BM, is this monster...

This added a bit of a fart nuance to the greenish Brown sound BM that really is imprtant to having a good BM....

Working closely with Digitech, BM excreted this pedal, which really does so much to nail the the Green Brown BM...

THIS is a big part of the Green Brown Sound magic...

However later in his career, after experiencing the likes of shredders of the early 80s... Everyone was really up to here with Greenish Brown BM. He needed something that would push BM out with a force that would make a splash like the word hadn't heard yet...

His cup runneth over... BM literally exploded onto the scene with this little gem....

As you can see, I've devoted a lot of time to a good Greenish Brown BM. Over the years, I've even driven hundreds of miles to campout on his lawn and even made friends with his neighbors... Aside from a few restraining orders and a couple months in jail, it was a great ride...

On a more personal level...

BM, if you're reading this, and I know you watch this site closely and my own fansite I made for you as a shrine, I can only say, I'm sorry for the things I had to do to get a good Greenish Brown BM, and apologize to you Barry for trying to bring you back to the stage to at least hear a good Greenish Brown Sound BM one more time. I realize the septic system thing was a bit much, ummm, yeah... Sorry about that...

I just know you have a lot of good BM in you, and need to force it out for your fans...

AWESOME!!! this is exactly what i wanted to know!!!! too bad it's all in the effects though. i gues THAT explains why i could never quite get there with an amp....

are you sure a boogner uberschill won't get there with HALF the amount of MT2's?

oh, wait i need the suckulator preamp. DAMN!!! well, okay. how rare is the DOD shitone pedal? i heard about that one....is it one of those deals with the geranium transitor instead of the ceramic one? and is that the one with the purple and pink striped capictors? have they made a reissue yet?

so what do i plug all this "greenish brown sound' gear into? a PA system? do i just go direct?

dude, you got me very excited!!!!!!!! need to know the rest!!!!! man - i KNEW the jcf would help me find the tone of my dreams.

you guys are smart!!!!
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

dude, i missed the part about camping out - yeah, i've done that a few times too. barry wasn't down with it at all. i also spent some time behind bars...hahahaha, his neighbors told me about you. i was jealous for a little while, but i managed to find a killer spot under that giant oak beside the driveway. mrs.. nelson next door would bring me bacon in the mornings for breakfast. nice lady!!

jail time sucked, but, fuck it!!!! when you have tone that is SOOOO awesome you gotta expect stalkers, ya know?!?!?

it's cool YOU managed to the secrets though!!! i bow to you, sir!!!!
                              GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                              X