please recommend me a bridge pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please recommend me a bridge pickup

Well as title suggests i'm in the market to upgrade the bridge pickup on my new PRS SE EG already, i bought this as a cheap 2nd guitar to gig instead of gigging the CE24 all the time.

The SE has a solid mahogany body with a rosewood fretboard.

Criteria is it must have white bobbins and be F Spaced. Looking for something that produces a clear defined tone. I've narrowed my search down to a SD TB10 Full Shred, TB4 JB or a TB6 Duncan distortion.

I'm in a 3 peice punk/rock cover band, so i need something thats gonna cut through, be clear, but not get mushy

Any ideas?

Air Norton or PAF Pro

Comment

I like the sound of a Distortion in a mahogany body. I usually hate the JB, but I've only tried it in alder/maple guitars. It might balance really well in a mahogany set-neck and brighten it up without being shrill. Another pickup to consider is the Custom, which is my favorite in all kinds of setups.

Comment

Full Shred is an excellent p'up, but I've never had it in a mahogany guitar. JB & DD are both good though. PAF Pro would be a good one too - nice, mid-strong, medium output p'up.

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion. nuff said.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            Air Norton or PAF Pro
            +1 on the PAF pro

Comment

Originally posted by Burn View Post
              +1 on the PAF pro
              Agreed. Either that or the TB-10 Full Shred.
              I'd only use the JB with a 250k pot though.
              The DiMarzio DP-166 Breed is an excellent pickup with an awesome mid range that cuts through very nice, has a good low end too. That pickup doesn't get the attention it deserves.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

bill lawrence?
                maybe not if your playing punk, but just an idea... also its a rail pickup so theres is no spaceing
                Jackson/Charvel. Mesa/Boogie. MXR. Dunlop. Seymour Duncan. Any questions..???

Comment

A Full Shred sounds good in the mahogany guitars that I've had it in. You may want to consider the Tone Zone as well...a very "big" sounding pickup. A Duncan Custom 5 is high on my list of favorites as well and works great with mahogany.

My all time favorite is the Anderson H2+ but white bobbins are not an option.

Comment

thanks for the input guys.
                    Quite a few dimarzio's in there, but they are mainly in black in the UK and are more money than SD's.
                    I've had a Breed before in the KE3, instead of the detonator and it really sounded good.
                    I fancy white bobbins because the guitar is white with a black pickguard with black pups at present, a white humbucker would contrast nicely.

I'm still undecided

Comment

duncan custom custom for classic rock to hard rock even metal. or a jb! i have a JB in a mahogany guitar and it sounds HUGE

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                        duncan custom custom for classic rock to hard rock even metal. or a jb! i have a JB in a mahogany guitar and it sounds HUGE
                        i've had a JB in the DK2 i had and it sounded shit, weak and poor performance. i had a korean wolfgang special at the same time and the pups in that kicked the jb/jazz into touch.

Comment

i thought u wanted a jb?

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                            i thought u wanted a jb?
                            only because it was cheap. Jb is hit and miss from what i've read on the forum, so i coulda just had a rubbish one. To be honest i don't know what i want, until now...:idea:

Best pickup i've had was whatever was in my wolfgang, that is the sound i'm after again. I found a comment on a site that mentioned a tone zone or a duncan distortion as the closet pickups to that evh config. Is that bullshit or not?

Comment

I've heard that the Tone Zone is essentially what was used in the Music Man EVH guitars (it was a proprietary Dimarzio at the time of production)...I have no idea if there is any truth to that though.

The Duncan Distortion story sounds like BS to me, although it is a good pickup if you like high output. Seeing as Ed typically used lower output pickups, I'd have a hard time believing Wolfgangs came with a similarly voiced unit to the Distortion.

Comment

Working...
                              X