Seymour Duncan Blackouts in KE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Blackouts in KE3

Would it be difficult to install these in a Jackson KE-3? I'm hoping to give it a little better pickups than the "duncan designed" ones in there that don't work very well. Is there enough space or would I have to carve it out?

I don't know about a KE3 but in my KV2 I had to raise the bridge, even with the pickups all the way at the bottom of the route. Blackouts are a little thicker then the Duncan passives.

Comment

Don't know if this helps because I don't know if the routes are different, but I put one in my Soloist and there was no problem.

Comment

My blackouts were pretty much the same dimensions as any other pickup. The only thing you should need to be worried about is whether there is enough space for a 9v battery in the control cavity. There probably is, but I haven't seen one on a Kelly to know for sure.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm curious as to what people use to secure the 9v battery whilst protecting the pots/wiring from damage. I also wasn't aware the Blackouts are taller than passives, but then, are they taller than EMG's? I'm looking to put Blackouts in my DK1. It's EMG's stick out quite high, but there's a few mm space between the fingerboard and the body surface. If I were to try putting Blackouts in a WR1, I might have a problem.
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I think blackouts are the same size as emgs. The plastic and squarer sides make them a litter bigger. My charvel SD has a blackout that is stuck so I don't know what the issue there is. I didn't want to chip the paint to find out.
            The only thing you should need to be worried about is whether there is enough space for a 9v battery in the control cavity. There probably is, but I haven't seen one on a Kelly to know for sure.
            I have 18v in my charvel san dimas and there is foam rapped around the batteries to keep them from touching the wiring.

Comment

Same as Rich - foam in the control cavity.

Comment

Hmm, I think you might have a problem. I have a set of Blackouts in my RR3, and that was a pretty simple job. But having looked in my KE3 control cavity, I'm not convinced there's room for a battery. It's pretty small that cavity. Why not try shoving a battery in your cavity (oo-er!) - see how much space is left. If it's comfortable then it should be okay, but I wouldn't count on it.
                If there's no room, why not just stick with passives - the good ole Seymour Duncan JB or Custom should do you a job. There's plenty great passives.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Do you have to replace the bezels (pickup rings) to make the Blackouts fit or do you get a set of bezels with them (when ordered in pairs) or just use the ones you already have on your guitar?
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                    Do you have to replace the bezels (pickup rings) to make the Blackouts fit or do you get a set of bezels with them (when ordered in pairs) or just use the ones you already have on your guitar?
                    I was able to use the stock bezels on my guitar. The Pickup came with new screws and springs but not bezels, IIRC.
                    On a side note, I am not sold on actives in that guitar I was thinking of going back to passives but I have to decide on what I want. Then the tone hunt starts all over again.
                    Last edited by themisfit138; 12-09-2008, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post

Nah they fit normal rings. You dont get any with the pickups. I bought mine as a set - they come with pots and stuff though. I think. Shit I can't remember what the hell came with these! Pots and a new stereo jack I think.

Here's a pic. The rings are custom ones made by Budman to normal specs and you can see there's still a small gap. I think they must be about the same size as any normal passive pickup.

Last edited by MartinBarre; 12-11-2008, 02:08 PM.
                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The blackouts are the same dimensions as EMG's, i put a pair of blackouts in my KV2 a while ago and they do sit higher in the standard pickup route, but it's not that substantial that any major changes have to be made...

there is a gap between the pickup and pickup rings as well, i just wrapped some black insulation tape around the side of the pickups a few times to fill the gap.

haha fill the gap.
                        Double Rhoads "Vader" Custom.
                        Double Rhoads "Empire" Custom.

EVH 5150III Head and Cabs
                        ISP Decimator Pedal
                        Sony Wireless Systems
                        Ernie Ball Strings 52-10

www.facebook.com/evileuk

Comment

Working...
                        X