Tone advice from JVHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone advice from JVHT!

Alright, I'm not making this thread because I'm a pompous asshole and because I know about tone better than all of you. Not even close, chances are a lot of you probably have better tones than I do.

But I thought that I would offer some free advice on tone that I use and have drastically changed since a few years ago when I used to think my tone was good.

I'm sure a bunch of you know this and implement these techniques already but to the lot of you who don't, give it a try. Maybe you'll find that you like your tone more using these three simple techniques.

1. Power amp volume > Pre amp volume

I've met with a few guitarists over the years that I play(ed) with and 9 out of 10 times when I checked their rigs out, their preamp volume would be set relatively high and they would control their general output with just the power amp volume, resulting in pure preamp volume which sounded brittle and nasal. I did this for the longest time as well.

Try setting your preamp volume much lower and increasing the output of your power amp. You may come to realize that power tubes have an immense effect on your general tone. You'll definitely hear it come to life!

Now maybe you're someone who prefers preamp volume or have a rig that sounds better with it. If so, rock on!

2. Turn the gain down!

This is one that almost all of us know, but I just want to restate that you would be surprised to know that some of your most favorite metal bands don't use very much gain.

Metallica, Megadeth, and Death are three bands you'd be surprised to know have never used much gain.

Though back in the day, they were squeezing out as much gain as their could out of Plexis and JCM800s, modern amp equivalents require very little gain to match that.

3. Turn the mids up!

Scooped mids have become very common in metal over the years and Metallica was one of the most famous bands to do it on And Justice For All and pretty much onwards.

If you love your mids scooped and that's your tone, don't change it!

But to those who want to experiment you may find that mids adds a real great feature to your tone.

Not to mention, you'll actually be heard!

If you're a lead player, I highly recommend boosting them. Nothing is worse than hearing a great lead guitarist buried in rhythms and drums.

Again, this is something that most of you already know!

-------------------

So again, just to restate, MY TONE IS NOT BETTER THAN YOURS!

You use your tone because it sounds good to you and that is all that matters, but if you haven't tried any of these techniques and are interested in tweaking your sound, give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Good points all around. Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonVHT View Post
      Again, this is something that most of you already know!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post

Comment

I have heard of people stating that "I have found my tone" then jump in with some new guys and start tweaking all over again. One person on this board bought a new So-Cal and didn't really like the way the Dimarzio sounded but the rest of his band loved it and believed it made the band sound better as a whole. He stated that the sound of the band was what he was after anyway. Just a note that there could be a balancing act.

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
            I have heard of people stating that "I have found my tone" then jump in with some new guys and start tweaking all over again. One person on this board bought a new So-Cal and didn't really like the way the Dimarzio sounded but the rest of his band loved it and believed it made the band sound better as a whole. He stated that the sound of the band was what he was after anyway. Just a note that there could be a balancing act.
            Yup definitely lots of factors.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonVHT View Post

Not to mention, you'll actually be heard!

If you're a lead player, I highly recommend boosting them. Nothing is worse than hearing a great lead guitarist buried in rhythms and drums.
              I've seen some guitarists live that should scoop their volume as well as mids !!!
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                I've seen some guitarists live that should scoop their volume as well as mids !!!

Comment

I do all of those already, but thank you for the advice anyways bro!

I'd like to add another one to your list:
                  #4. Play Jacksons and Charvels
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven
                  Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Hey, I got a question!!

How do you get your Framus Dragon to sound like bees in a fuggin' coffee can ..fuckface??!!

Thanks in advance.

Bill Z Bub
                    Last edited by horns666; 12-16-2008, 06:32 PM.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Ouch Bill ! Hey, thanks for this post! Newbs like me, need this stuff..
                      just this week , ive been turning my gain down from about 6...to 3 or so...
                      and it does "Punch" better! You guys know i overdue everything... too
                      much delay...too much bass..etc. So your post has possibly saved a JCF'r
                      from tone destruction! Mucho appreciated! Like Bill Z can hear anything
                      anymore !! LOL

Comment

Yeah, I must say, this is the first time I have seen a $2000 amp sound like a Crate 1x10 combo from 1986 with everything dimed out. Exactly what technique should I use?-Lou
                        " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                          Ouch Bill ! Hey, thanks for this post! Newbs like me, need this stuff..
                          just this week , ive been turning my gain down from about 6...to 3 or so...
                          and it does "Punch" better! You guys know i overdue everything... too
                          much delay...too much bass..etc. So your post has possibly saved a JCF'r
                          from tone destruction! Mucho appreciated! Like Bill Z can hear anything
                          anymore !! LOL
                          That's OK Bobby...I just don't want anyone taking so-called "advice" from this fuggin' cocksucker. that's all..

Believe me I heard your tone and I heard this fatfucks's..you need to give this asshole advice!!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                            LOL Indeed!
                            Though, I just got a Carvin V3, and I gotta say, it sounds awesome with the gain cranked! It's one of those amps that has a lot of gain, but it still sounds clean and clear on note definition. I can get Fender clean, Marshall and Mesa distortion tones from it. What a kick-ass amp!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              That's OK Bobby...I just don't want anyone taking so-called "advice" from this fuggin' cocksucker. that's all..

Believe me I heard your tone and I heard this fatfucks's..you need to give this asshole advice!!
                              I didnt see a link to any Mp3? Did you have to go to his myspace?
                              Sorry... i guess i like everybody!

Comment

Working...
                              X