Tone advice from JVHT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
    I didnt see a link to any Mp3? Did you have to go to his myspace?
    Sorry... i guess i like everybody!
    You haven't seen "The Thread" have you? There's a reason for Bill's (necessary) hostility.

"Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
      You haven't seen "The Thread" have you? There's a reason for Bill's (necessary) hostility.

Some of us are definitely on the outside looking in. How intriguing. Time to sift through the threads for the dirt!

Comment

Start with "Americans: Don't talk to cops"..in the Non-Related section..

Befriending this fat fucking piece of shit..WILL damage your friendship with me.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksonVHT View Post
          Yup definitely lots of factors.
          heck yes, the sound I have for the band I play in is completely different to what I'd call 'my favourite', but it's the band sound that people hear, not me, so that's what I go for

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_B View Post
            heck yes, the sound I have for the band I play in is completely different to what I'd call 'my favourite', but it's the band sound that people hear, not me, so that's what I go for
            ..and that's something you didn't discover on your own. We ALL know that..anyone who's played in bands anywhoo.

You need this simple, fat fuck to comfirm your convictions ..yes?

Funny, how this fat fuck could barely play and sound like canned ass with a Framus and give tone "advice".

gimme a fuggin' break.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Dude..

you know, if you shove your pud in a vag..it feels pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                Start with "Americans: Don't talk to cops"..in the Non-Related section..

Befriending this fat fucking piece of shit..WILL damage your friendship with me.
                Thanks for the info, Bill. I found the thread last night...only got through the first page or 2...looks like it's about 10 or 11 pages long.

I'm just here for the technical stuff about Jacksons and Charvels. This site has been an awesome source for that type of thing.

But I guess that morbid curiousity kicked in. Translation: Forum Rubber-Necker.

Comment

I use preamp volume to make my clean and dirty channels match, and then use the master volume to control the overall volume.

I did an experiment once to see if there was any difference between maxed out preamp volume and low master and vice versa, and there wasn't much of one.

I wish that people could hear me with scooped mids, as I love the sound, but it just doesn't work in a live situation.
                  Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    I use preamp volume to make my clean and dirty channels match, and then use the master volume to control the overall volume.

I did an experiment once to see if there was any difference between maxed out preamp volume and low master and vice versa, and there wasn't much of one.

I wish that people could hear me with scooped mids, as I love the sound, but it just doesn't work in a live situation.
                    I used to be the worst about scooped mids.
                    What pre-amp are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                      I used to be the worst about scooped mids.
                      What pre-amp are you using?
                      The Genz Benz in my signature. It's got two channels, but the clean channel breaks up if you turn its gain up too much, so I keep the gain super low and crank the preamp volume. Maybe it's just a channel volume; I haven't looked through the specs to see if its before or after the preamp section.
                      Scott

Comment

JacksonVHT - do you realize that some amps are designed to get their tone much more from the preamp than the power amp section? An old Marshall doesn't have a ton of preamp gain and therefore needs to be cranked to get a lot of sustain. However, Soldanos, modern Boogies, etc. have a lot of emphasis placed on preamp gain. Being loud with these amps does indeed affect the tone and especially feel, but the preamp is a large part of their voice.
                        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Ya I've never liked the mids-boosted type tone! reminds me of Slayer, one of my fav bands, but their tone is weak!!
                          I love admins!

Comment

At home with me listening... Mids scooped... With the band and live, mids pumped big... Cuts through the din of band noise...

Comment

I just turn every knob on my amp to eleven.

Then conjure up the images from Stonehenge.
                              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

To be completely fair to the jackass, it took me years to realize some of those things, and I'll bet a lot of other young people are in the same boat. Granted, with the internet these days, it's a lot easier to come by this kind of advice, and undoubtedly, most people here on the JCF take this advice for granted. After all, most of us are older, and have discovered these little secrets for ourselves.

In my case, I started playing guitar seriously at age 15. I had an NJ series BC Rich Bich (I bought it from a guy who worked at McDonalds with me), and a Peavey Bandit 112. I didn't even know about power chords at first, and when a friend came over and showed me how to make a power chord, it was as if he had taught me the secrets of the universe. Now we all know that when you're playing thrash in your bedroom, on a crappy little practice amp, you scoop the mids, and crank the distortion as high as it goes. That's just the way it is. Try playing a Peavey Bandit at bedroom levels with the mid turned up. It sounds fucking horrible. Anyway, as I progressed, joined my first band, got my first proper amp, I continued to scoop out the mids, because hey, it sounds good in my bedroom.

I think everyone at some point arrives at the Eureka moment where they realize that mids make all the difference when you're playing with a band. Plus, as you get better, and have more control over your tone, you realize that you don't need so much gain.

All I'm saying is, maybe this thread would be helpful in a forum with a lot of younger, less experienced guitar players. Here, not so much.
                                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                                X