Changing Tube Type in an Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Tube Type in an Amp

Guys, if I have EL34 and want to change to say 6550 or 5881, besides the bias, what else has to be changed inside the amp? Like a circuit, or a resistor?
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Comment

The pinout is slightly different.
        Pin #8 is tied into both cathode and screen grid 3 on the 6550.

It looks like theEL34 is a 25 watt tube, and the 6550 is a 50 watt tube.
        You would have to compensate by changing the output transformer.
        The filament draw on a 6550 might be too much for the power tranny as well.
        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 12-15-2008, 10:03 AM.

Comment

My 100 watt Marshall 2203 clone was built with EL34's. Dave Hirsch (Dave's Sound Repair, Whippany, NJ) converted it to 6550's for me. He did not change the transformers. Maybe you can call him and ask him what he had to do.

Last edited by StukaJU87; 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Thanks, I don't believe transformers need to be changed. In fact, I'm thinking only the bias setting is changed. The EL-34 biases with 25% dissipation divided by plate voltage, then times about .7 so that means in my case: (25/470).7=37 But for the 6550 tube, I think you use 35% for dissipation, making it: (35%/470).7=52 so....

Comment

If you have one of Aspen Pittman's Tube Amp books, it tells how to do it.

Comment

I'll have to check his book, unless you wouldn't mind referencing it real quick...

Comment

Sorry, I'm at work in Nashville and the books are at home in Cinci.

Comment

Not to hijack, but you work in Nashville and live in Cincinatti? That's a long commute!
                    Scott

Comment

It's a fuck long commute! And before this I worked in Cleveland. Shoot me now?

Comment

I just checked it on Google Maps... 4 hours each way?? Do you ever get home, or do you have to turn around and go back to work?
                        Scott

Comment

im not sure how to do it but every marshall or EL34 amp ive owned, ive had converted to 6L6 type power tubes. Not once did i need to have the transformers replaced. IIRC one amp needed new tube sockets but they may have been because they were old crap.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            im not sure how to do it but every marshall or EL34 amp ive owned, ive had converted to 6L6 type power tubes. Not once did i need to have the transformers replaced. IIRC one amp needed new tube sockets but they may have been because they were old crap.
                            The same is true about my Carvin V3 head. It's got EL34s stock, but you can run 5881s/6L6GCs with just a flick of the bias switch. I assume you'd just flip the switch, put the other type of tubes in and you're good to go, but on an amp without the switch, you'd have to have it rebiased.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                              I just checked it on Google Maps... 4 hours each way?? Do you ever get home, or do you have to turn around and go back to work?
                              From my home to the apartment in Cleveland was 3 1/2 hours, to Nashville it's 5 1/2 because of traffic. I am home on the weekends.

Comment

Working...
                              X