Laney Pro-Tube on the way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laney Pro-Tube on the way.

I'm trading my AT-100 for a Laney Pro-Tube PT50MV from a JCF bro. I'll probably regret getting rid of the B-52, but I figure I can always pick another one up.

Anyone got any experience with these cool old Laneys? From what I gather so far, it's basically like a JCM 800 with more gain, more low end, and slightly more grainy distortion. They seem to be very popular for doom/stoner rock.

Unfortunately, I never liked the look of them, so I have already made plans to build a new headshell for it. I have ordered the tolex for it from Lopoline, and I'll be building the shell out of 13 ply marine grade void free birch plywood. Anyone got a spare Laney logo kicking around?

Here's my mockup.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

I dont have experience with Laney amps but a fun fact is the lead singer of Alice in Chains had a Laney amp head that said "Layne" instead of "Laney"

You can see it in this video for a few seconds after 3:20 but the whole song rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74P4W_okEqA

Comment

That's pretty cool.

Damn, that song kicks ass too. Makes me miss Layne all over again.

Comment

I have a spare logo i removed from my Tony Iommi Signature Cab

Comment

Originally posted by elysianfield View Post
          Make a "Layne" logo. If I ever came across a good deal on a "Laney" guitar head I am going to make it a "Layne" amp.

Comment

Akerfeldt from Opeth uses Laney amps.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by elysianfield View Post
              Seriously? Do you want to sell it to me?

Comment

Re-tolex the Laney?! Why, you son-of-a.........!!!!!

These are great amps at a great price, but they can be picky on tube selection. I would try feeding it a healthy dosage of JJs, both in the pre an power sections. Certain mods for the Marshalls also apply to the Laneys, as they are Marshall clones. Done a few of them, to mine, myself, and am quite happy. Helps tame some of the upper-mid shrillness that can be had with these amps.

If you ever get bored with her, send her MY way!
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Yea Paul, you will like it. Its an agressive unrefined sounding Marshall tone.
                  I have always been a fan of Laney distortion. Did anybody say Demartini??

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                    Re-tolex the Laney?! Why, you son-of-a.........!!!!!

Don't worry, I'll be saving the original shell, and building a whole new headbox. Although, mine will be MUCH nicer than the original.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Yea Paul, you will like it. Its an aggressive unrefined sounding Marshall tone.
                      I have always been a fan of Laney distortion. Did anybody say Demartini??
                      See what you've done John! I used to lean strongly towards the more American sounding 6L6 amps. Ever since I got the 900, I've been obsessed with getting more British EL34 stuff. My buddy just got an Orange Rockerverb 100, and it's gorgeous. It's got a very similar vibe to the 900, but with a thicker lowend, and less bright. The breakup is very similar too. I think I'm going to start saving for a Matamp GT1. I'm retarded!! :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        Don't worry, I'll be saving the original shell, and building a whole new headbox. Although, mine will be MUCH nicer than the original.
                        Whew! Okay, thought you went mental for a second!
                        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                          I'm retarded!! :ROTF:
                          Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                          Whew! Okay, thought you went mental for a second!
                          I see a theme developing in this thread.....
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

It's quite similar to an AOR 50 head for a few years in the late 80s/early 90s, I replaced my 100W JCM800 with it.
                            Compared to the Marshall, it had more gain, more eq, just more of everything. It also had more hiss with the gain right up.
                            It wasn't as 'easy' to play as a JCM800, you had to be much more careful with the controls, but there were a whole bunch of great sounds in there, they just took a bit more getting.
                            Also, Laney Watts seemed to be smaller than Marshall Watts, have you seen how many of these Mr Iommi uses !!

Spend enough time with it, and you'll like it.

Comment

I had the AOR 100 back in the 80's and loved it...but sold it when I went "rack" in '88. They are great sounding anf fairly versatile amps...definitely rooted in the Marshall camp but more brutal sounding IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X