Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scored a Early Rackmount Dual Recto... Need some info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outstanding find AK!
    Glad it worked out for you.

Fixed bias actually refers to a method of biasing, not the presence of a potentiometer.
    There is grid leak bias (old, and rare), cathode bias (I use this on my single ended amp builds), and fixed biasing. Either cathode or fixed bias schemes can have pots on them.

It's a great mod to have the bias pot installed, and Mesa tubes aren't necessary.
    John is right about the winged C's.
    JJ does make a nice 6V6. I have not tried any of their other power tubes.

Edit: I wonder why he thinks it needs it a new rectifier tube? Those are usually near bulletproof. I have used rectifiers that are still working fine after 50 years!
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 12-19-2008, 07:59 PM.

Comment

What's considered a low serial # on these Recto Rackmounts anyway?
      A serial # in the 5,000's seems kinda high!
      When did they start making them?, Year?
      What serial # did they start with?

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
        What's considered a low serial # on these Recto Rackmounts anyway?
        A serial # in the 5,000's seems kinda high!
        When did they start making them?, Year?
        What serial # did they start with?
        see my previous post above, this website covers all that. Fyi, mine is rev F, S/N below 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
          Thanks for all the comments.

One thing I keep hearing is anything in the "Effects Loop" sucks on these Rectos. Is this true?

I got a TC Electronics G major I was hoping to run with it...

Is the green recto powdercoated? Did you do the mod or did the prior owner? I am curious as to what other colors can look like.

No, I didnt paint it. Some previous owner had it painted. Its somewhat famous in Boogie circles as it is kind of well known because of the color. JCF member Siggy owned it at one time and a few other ppl. I had been watching it for years as I am ghey for the green (I own a Dweezil Charvel and a Slime Green Shannon). Well, I was coming out of our rehearsal place and talking to a fellow muso and showed him my Charvel. He told me he owned the green recto and I just about shit my pants on the spot. We worked out a trade and it is mine now. Guess you didnt ask for the whole story but there it is.

The loop gets a bad rap but for me it is fine. Hook up your g-major and set it up like mine. Its really a great versatile setup. One thing though, my loop is serial. If you have a newer rackto your loop may be parallel. There is an easy mod to make your loop serial though. Pete (Oklastrat) put out a pic of how to do it. I have the pic here somewhere. Let me see if I can find it and upload for you. Or you can use the kill dry function on the g-major. Make sure your g-major has s/w ver 1.27 though if you're gonna use the kill dry.

Comment

Originally posted by thenine View Post
            see my previous post above, this website covers all that. Fyi, mine is rev F, S/N below 1000.
            http://www.theboogiearchives.com/
            Hmmmm,...Did'nt see anything about the Dual Recto rackmounts on that site.
            I already know all the history about the early Dual Recto heads also owning two myself (#220 & #414) they are great sounding amps but alwayed wondered at what point (serial #) did the Rackmounts start out at? And how do the early Dual Recto Rackmounts sound compared to the early (say first year`92) Dual Recto heads?

Comment

I used to own one of these and it roicked just fine on its own. In fact, I think I owned this exact one you bought... lol. I liked these better with 6l6's in them I also ran it with Sovtek 5881's and I like that too. No need to run another preamp through it IMO.

Comment

Oh yeah... Almost forgot, I ran mine with a rack mounted pedal draw and a rocktron switching system and it worked great with the loop.

My Brother had one as well only he used the the TC Electronics G Major and a switcher as well I believe it was the ground control unit and it worked great too.

Good luck with the amp! Congrats and that was a great price too! I sold mine for over $1300 a few yers back..

Comment

Working...
                X