Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ho!... Ho!... Ho!... the Fat man came by today NGD!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. I thought I read they were supposed to be a little higher gain than Randy's.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Congrats on a killer score! I'm still digging mine as well:

I need to take some new pics since I've now added the second cab.

Talking about speakers, the cab is a 1960 in white I wish Marshall would have created a RR sig cab as well to make the whole thing true to Randy but whatever.
      They really couldn't do that since Randy used Altec speakers which are no longer available. I read that they tried numerous speaker types and the Celestion 75's were the closest thing they could find...high power handling (less added distortion) and little tonal coloration. I personally think that JBL's or EV's would be closer to Altec's, but that's just a hunch.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        Nice. I thought I read they were supposed to be a little higher gain than Randy's.
        Yeah, I thought the consensus was that Randy's tone was kinda thin and weak.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          They were supposed to be an exact copy of Randy's including a higher gain mod that Randy had done at the factory. I've found that the higher gain channel actually doesn't have much more gain than the stock channel...the magic in either of them comes with cranking the thing up. That said, I actually find myself preferring the stock channel as it is a slight bit tighter and less harsh sounding to my ears. Not a high gain amp by any stretch...classic Marshall tone at its best without owning a well tuned original.
          Last edited by Rupe; 12-24-2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Killer pic Rupe!

Comment

Nice Christmas Present you got there. Have fun waking up the neighbors.
              http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Congrats Joe_Steeler! I got mine from our very own Matt from Matt's Music. This amp is a great example of classic Marshall LOUD tone. It may not have the gain the VHT has but I bet it can "out loud it" I picked up a THD Hot Plate for mine for home use
                Its a no nonsense amp. No MV, no channel footswitching, no loop. You simply crank it and let 'er rip! It cleans up very nicely with the guitar's volume knob so there is no need for a separate clean channel anyway. Awesome Marshall for sure and it has the matching looks
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

There you go Roody!!
                  No frills all tube-tone amp. Really is.

The most vrsatile amp? no!
                  The most Powerful? maybe
                  The most toneful? dunno??!! who cares!

Loud and proud!!!!!
                  Mr. Patience.... ask for a free consultation.

Comment

So, if this amp basicly is a Super Lead 100 watt, what makes it differ from a reissue plexi or say an original `70's metal front Super Lead or `late`60's plexi?
                    It's got to be something really cool (for me) to warrent the amount of money these things cost!

Comment

Congrats. Looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan View Post
                        So, if this amp basicly is a Super Lead 100 watt, what makes it differ from a reissue plexi or say an original `70's metal front Super Lead or `late`60's plexi?
                        It's got to be something really cool (for me) to warrent the amount of money these things cost!
                        Would any of you guys that own one of these RR heads like to answer my question?

Comment

Would any of you guys that own one of these RR heads like to answer my question?
                          There is a factory mod (see post #19 ) that cascades the gain stages of the preamp giving the upper channel two input a higher gain structure (Randy's had this same mod). Other than that, the main appeal is it's limited production and aesthetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                            There is a factory mod (see post #19 ) that cascades the gain stages of the preamp giving the upper channel two input a higher gain structure (Randy's had this same mod). Other than that, the main appeal is it's limited production and aesthetics.
                            What Rupe said. Plus, I used to own a mid 70's non-master volume Marshall and this head reminds me of that tone, super loud and great Marshall tone that I have not heard in other Marshall heads for the past couple decades. I think its the best sounding Marshall IMO. I also don't think these will lose value in the long term, maybe right now if you find a used one on E-Bay you can get it cheaper than new while still being in new shape but down the road these should increase in value. The cascade mod is nice but otherwise I'm not aware of anything different tone wise on this head as compared to old Marshall heads.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                              What Rupe said. Plus, I used to own a mid 70's non-master volume Marshall and this head reminds me of that tone, super loud and great Marshall tone that I have not heard in other Marshall heads for the past couple decades. I think its the best sounding Marshall IMO. I also don't think these will lose value in the long term, maybe right now if you find a used one on E-Bay you can get it cheaper than new while still being in new shape but down the road these should increase in value. The cascade mod is nice but otherwise I'm not aware of anything different tone wise on this head as compared to old Marshall heads.
                              Looks like I'll be sticking with my mid`70's non-master vol. Marshalls! And saving quite a bit of money to boot!

Comment

Looks like I'll be sticking with my mid`70's non-master vol. Marshalls! And saving quite a bit of money to boot!
                                If its just the tone you're after, I'm sure a 70's era Marshall JMP head will do fine. All you need to do is have someone do that gain cascade mod for you and you basically have that tone. If you want the extra cool factor to go with it, as a 70's JMP is cool on its own, then you need a white Rhoads head
                                Rudy
                                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                                X