Repair Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair Question

I have an old Marshall Valvestate 30W amp that I use when I just want to whip out a guitar and jam without having to go downstairs and start up my big amps. Has one gain channel and reverb. It has that 80's sound to it.

This thing cost me about $300 if I remember correctly - bought it a long time ago.

Anyway, it is making crackling noises - friend of mine said the ceramic board is probably cracked and needs to be fixed.

This thing will cost me at least $150 or more to fix at a local shop.

I can get a small Roland or Microcube for this kind of money. Or maybe a nice little amp like an old Peavey or small Mesa off of ebay.

I don't know what do you guys think - is it worth repairing?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

No. There's better stuff out there now. Hell...a Flextone will blow it outta the water!

Comment

If it's just when the knobs are being messed with, get some control cleaner from Radio Shack.

Comment

Could also be the input jack/lead too

Comment

Ceramic board?

Comment

Not worth repairing. Those are essentially "Bic Amps"...toss them when they are worn out.

Comment

Put a new preamp tube in there.
              METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

They do have circuit boards in them that may be made of ceramic material, but I dont think a hybrid amp could make enough heat to crack one. The more likely culprit is something common like what others have posted such as; dirty pots, pre-amp tube, etc.

Regardless, it'll cost you more than the amp is worth to even get it checked out at a shop. I'd say get a new amp, unless of course you're really attached to this one.

-Steve.
                Last edited by UFORocks; 12-25-2008, 11:32 PM.
                Guitars:
                '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
                '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
                '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
                Amp:
                VOX AD30VT

Comment

Try spraying tuner cleaner in the volume pot, checking the input jack and the speaker connections before you trash it. Its not worth paying to be repaired but you might be able to fix it cheap yourself.

Comment

Working...
                  X