Rocktron Velocity 300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocktron Velocity 300

I just scored a Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp for super cheap.
    From what I read... it gets really good reviews. Its supposed to be super powerful and very transparent.

What I am building is a FRFR rig. Thats short for Full Range Flat Response.
    My rig will consist of:

Boss GT-8 running in true stereo
    Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp (150w per side SS)
    Middle Atlantic PD-915R power conditioner
    Randall 2 x 12 cab wired in stereo with 2 Altec Lansing 300w White Frame speakers which lean towards the full range style.
    What I am hoping to achieve is a powerful FRFR rig. I know the speakers sound great for modeling and in the past I have always used tube power amps but I have been reading alot and lurking at the GT Central forum and it seems that the high end technical Boss GT-8/10 users are getting the most out of FRFR rigs that are mainly based on keyboard amps.
    I'll post an in depth review when I get the power amp and I get the rig working.

I'll be waiting for the review.I'm leaning in that direction too.
    I love tube amps but there are some SS amps that kill.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Sounds like a killer rig John. You can now have all the benefits of a Vetta/modeller in one easy to manage package. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
        Sounds like a killer rig John. You can now have all the benefits of a Vetta/modeller in one easy to manage package. Let us know how it turns out.
        Yea Pete, I am stoked. I have missed the Vetta since it left. The Legacy is awesome but I really got used to the versatility of the Vetta.

Comment

I'm waiting for the review too, I want to hear a hands on review on that Rocktron.
          '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
          '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
          custom made Les Paul
          VOX Tonelab LE
          Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
          ADA MP1
          BBE 422A
          Lexicon MPX-G2
          ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
          Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
            I'm waiting for the review too, I want to hear a hands on review on that Rocktron.
            Yea, I will put it through a torture test. I have several rigs to a/b it to along with the fact that I have owned several Vetta's and countless other amps throughout the 30+ years of playing.

Comment

I know my XTL sounds awesome through my Randall rg100es which is solid state. I think you would like the sound better through two 2x12's instead of splitting the cab though.
              I ran my pod into the return of the amp, bypassing the pre in the rg

Comment

Damn! I'm in market for Velocity 300. I couldn't find any. None on e-bay or anywhere else i searched. You're lucky!
                [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by Treachery View Post
                  Damn! I'm in market for Velocity 300. I couldn't find any. None on e-bay or anywhere else i searched. You're lucky!

Yea, they are hard to find. The 100 is easy to find and I owned a few of them. Great poweramp but a little underpowered if you are running it in stereo. I heard that they also came out with a 500 but I have never seen one.

Comment

I have the Velocity 150 in my "backup rig" which is quite similar to the 300 except of course only half the power (has the same reactance controls and all) It is a great SS amp, has a LOT of clean power. The Velocity 300 must be a monster.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                      I have the Velocity 150 in my "backup rig" which is quite similar to the 300 except of course only half the power (has the same reactance controls and all) It is a great SS amp, has a LOT of clean power. The Velocity 300 must be a monster.
                      I got it today and I messed around with it for around 1 hour until my ears were bleeding. This is a very powerful poweramp. I needed to walk away from the rig because my ears got all fuzzy. I am going back to it later.
                      The Velocity 300 is a monster.

Comment

Cool keep the reviews comming as you try it out. BTW, people say that the Velocity 100 is small sounding, but it's stil 100watts no? Maybe not big enough to be your amp/PA system for mid/large venues, but if it would be you main amp in a FRFR setup it's still 100w of power to THEN have the house PA System ampify that. Right?
                        custom made Les Paul
                        VOX Tonelab LE
                        ADA MP1
                        BBE 422A
                        Lexicon MPX-G2
                        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                        Support Your Local 81

Comment

Maybe this will be a newbe question but, how come each channel has 2 outputs?
                          custom made Les Paul
                          VOX Tonelab LE
                          ADA MP1
                          BBE 422A
                          Lexicon MPX-G2
                          ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                          Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
                            Cool keep the reviews comming as you try it out. BTW, people say that the Velocity 100 is small sounding, but it's stil 100watts no? Maybe not big enough to be your amp/PA system for mid/large venues, but if it would be you main amp in a FRFR setup it's still 100w of power to THEN have the house PA System ampify that. Right?

I had a Velocity 100 and it was great for home use. At a live gig with a loud band it wasn't powerful enough. I had it cranked and it just didn't push enough air or have enough presence. It was hard to hear myself onstage using it. Of course.. the crowd heard me fine because I was mic'd but its an absolute MUST to be able to hear yourself correctly on stage.
                            The 300 is completely different.
                            I'll tell you one thing for sure.. it smokes the Carvin T100 and both a Peavey 50/50 Classic and a Sixty/Sixty power amp in regards to raw power, punch and clarity.
                            Dialed in correctly it sounds just like what the GT-8 sounds like through headphones which IMHO is the best way to listen to any modeling amp or processor. They always sound better through headphones, computer speakers or PA. Its just raw clean power. I set the GT-8 to Line/Phones so that I get cabinet modeling and I just have been using the original factory speaker settings. Its fantastic sounding. I am gonna try it out at band rehearsal on Sunday. I have my Legacy/Marshall rig there to so I will have a nice a/b comparison.

Comment

I used my Velocity 150 many times with a live band, often unmiced in midsized bars/clubs. It was plenty loud, but I ran it into 2 big ass 2x12 cabs in stereo. The velocity 100 is way wimpier... I think they cut a lot of corners when they came out with it, targeting more of the hobbyist market.

Comment

Working...
                              X