footswitch and chorus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• footswitch and chorus?

i know...this may seem like yet another dumb question. But here goes...

How would I switch to the clean channel with the footswitch, and also at the same time switch on the chorus pedal?

Seems like trying to use both left and right feet to simultaneously switch on both will be awkward...and I'm sure there is a way to do it that I'm just overlooking. The amp head does have an effects loop, if that'll help anything.

And I already know a multi-effects unit would take care of this problem, but don't have the funds for a nice unit like that (from Digitech, etc.) right now. Just will have the footswitch and chorus pedal.

Thanks!
    Last edited by organelle67; 12-31-2008, 03:05 AM.
    Guitars: Burny Les Paul Custom, Epi Les Paul Custom, Charvel Model 1C, Alvarez Classical
    Amps: Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 100 Watt, Laney LC-30II, Fender Frontman 25 watt
    Cab: Laney GS412P 4x12

Ahhh, the pedal dance... Been there, done that... As have most of us.

Not much you can do with pedals cept what you're doing. Unless there's some amazing new technology that "I" don't know about.

Only thing really, is going to a MIDI setup with rack stuff. Like say a TC Electronics GMajor. It will have the effects (LOTS of them), and will also switch an amplifier channel as well with one push of a putton on the MIDI pedal. That solution, bought used, would prolly be around $300 or so for a Gmajor and a simple but quality MIDI pedal like a MIDImate

There are also loopers you can get for that setup to run traditional pedals in the rack as well.

Comment

Actually, aside from what Cleveland suggested, the only thing you can do is just keep practicing/experimenting with pedal placement, switching back and forth ect. With time you'll become smoother doing it and won't even think about it, especially with songs you are familiar with playing.

The one thing I can suggest is that you play with your setup and arrange your pedals by what would be most convienient to you. Like how often you use each one. Set the ones you use most often side by side so there is the least amount of foot movement as possible. Once you've done that, I think you'll find it alot easier to switch back annd forth between effects in most cases.

Later on, if you've gathered several effects pedals, you may want to invest/build a pedal board. I built the one I have and I can tell you, it's been a big help in many ways. I can keep my pedal arrangement constant, and if I go to a Jam or a gig, I just pack it up, take it with me, and when I set up, the pedals are already set up and connected. All I have to do is plug in and play. Hope that helps.
      Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

That's the thing I love about my new Carvin V3 head... smart loops! I can use any effect pedal or processor in one of its loops (series and parallel), switch on whatever loop I want, and it's memorized. So I've got reverb and chorus on my clean channel, then I can change to either of my distortion channels and the loop will turn off, then when I switch back to my clean channel the loop turns back on. I've also got a Midimate pedal for use with the amp, but I don't have much need for it with the smart loops and regular amp pedal.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That's a mighty cool option they put on that unit.

Comment

My Road King had switches on the back that let you turn the loop on or off for any of the four channels. It was definitely useful, as I could have the delay going on the lead channel and when I switched back to the rhythm channel it was gone.

As to the OP's question, if you're always using chorus with the clean channel, why not build some sort of bridge between the two switches? Just like a piece of wood that when you step on it it hits both switches.
            Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
              That's a mighty cool option they put on that unit.
              Indeed. Don't know why nobody ever really thought of that feature before.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Or if you have a spare volume pedal, you can convert it to a Pan pedal so you're panning from the clean+chorus to the other side.

Not entirely sure how that'd work

An A/B box might work, if the housing was small enough that you could stomp both the channel and the A/B switches together.

If it's a simple amp footswitch and not a complicated pedalboard (i.e. just a metal box with 2 or 3 stomp switches), you might be able to modify it with another switch that would turn on the clean channel and the chorus at the same time.

Add the switch and a set of jacks to the housing and run the jacks to the FX loop, with the chorus connected to the pedal. Wire the loop switch to the Clean channel switch so that whenever you step on it, it automatically goes to the Clean channel AND turns on the FX loop. Hit it again and it turns off the fx loop and goes back to the other channel. If you wanted a dry clean suond, hit the regular Clean switch.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  I did, years ago, but nobody ever takes me seriously
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Tap dancing is your only solution.
                    If you use a multifx processor it will have to have amp control
                    The only ones that I know of are made by TC Electronics, and the Boss GT8/10

Comment

Actually.. Carvin did think of it back in the late 80's with their Quad X
                      It had 4 smart loops!!!

Comment

Custom switch?
                        Dual pole, so it does both functions at once.
                        It would be simple to fabricate.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                          Tap dancing is your only solution.
                          If you use a multifx processor it will have to have amp control
                          The only ones that I know of are made by TC Electronics, and the Boss GT8/10
                          if the effects unit doesn't have amp control, many midi footswitches can be setup to change amp channels & effects patches at the same time.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                            if the effects unit doesn't have amp control, many midi footswitches can be setup to change amp channels & effects patches at the same time.
                            Yea, but many of those midi footswitches need a midi interface on the amp. There are a few that have a standard 1/4" latching switch. It think one of the Ground Controls does. Maybe its the Control One.

Comment

That's the thing I love about my new Carvin V3 head... smart loops! I can use any effect pedal or processor in one of its loops (series and parallel), switch on whatever loop I want, and it's memorized. So I've got reverb and chorus on my clean channel, then I can change to either of my distortion channels and the loop will turn off, then when I switch back to my clean channel the loop turns back on. I've also got a Midimate pedal for use with the amp, but I don't have much need for it with the smart loops and regular amp pedal.
                              Joe, how do you like the V3? Personally.. I think its a great amp. My bandmate has an acoustic simulator in one of the loops. When he switches the amp to the clean channel it activates the loop and his Les Paul turns into an acoustic guitar.
                              The V3 rocks.. and its a loud sucker too.
                              I am using a Legacy and the combination of the 2 is pretty awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X