Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who ever said 18 watts of tube amp...

... isn't good for bedroom volumes?

It is all in how you set it..... I was just jamming out with some SRV and it sounded GOOOOOD! At a volume that would not hurt anyones feelings in the house, much less the neighbors. Granted if I could have cranked the volume up...I would have, but the sounds coming out of the speakers were more than enough to keep me happy enough to inspire playing the entire Texas Flood album. Maybe not note for note, but it still sounded damn good!

Yeah I know that the JCF isn't exactly the place to ralk about ripping up some SRV, but what the hell....that was what I could play at the volume that was allowed to me. Besides, I LIKE SRV LOL.

Seriously though, just the guitar set on neck p/u (single coil), straight into the amp. Amp set with minimal gain (about .5) and the level knob set at 2.5....It was kickin ass!!!

I MIGHT just have to break down and get a Strat now LOL

Tube amps fuckin rock!!!
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

nothing wrong with some SRV - I've recently picked up one of those Greg Koch dvds to try and get some Stevie Ray down.

Glad you're getting a sound you dig at the volume you need. If I want to play my 30 watt tube combo at late night volumes, I'll use my old AX1500G with it. That amp doesn't really light up until you push it a little, which makes it great for band practice, but not so much for really low volumes
    Hail yesterday

Comment

at lower volumes, there's tons of "other" freq's that arent heard. my line6 spider 15 watter sounds awesome at bedroom volumes. turn it up a little, and it sounds like crap.

its the balance that's hard to get. If you can get a tube amp setting that sounds great at both bedroom and at band levels, then you have struck gold IMO. Either one is not very hard to get. I used to have a 5150 in a small apartment through a marshall 2x12. At very low volumes, it used to sound great, but turn it up, it sucked unless I made some changes to the tone! Right now, I'm pumping a Distortion pedal and a 10-band eq through the clean channel of the 33 watter Crate tube amp. It sounds great at bedroom levels.

but hey, if you're happy, that's most important. Rock on!! BTW, I love SRV and I'm a TOTAL metal-head.
      Sam

Comment

I missed something...what amp are you using?

Comment

Just about everybody here loves SRV.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            I missed something...what amp are you using?
            It's one of those Crate V18-212 combos that were being blown out for less than 200 bux. Awesome investment. Was not expecting much out of it, Boy was I surprised!
            I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Yeah, 18 watts is LOUD. I had a THD Univalve with a THD yellow jacket that essentially brought the amp down to 2 watts. In Florida, there are rarely any homes with basements and many only have 1 story. I was given many "stern" looks at 2 watts.

Comment

Cool. 2x12?
                That's a nice way to deliver those 18 watts, too.
                Too often manufacturers try to push a "big sound" through speakers too small to sound any good.

I play my 7 watt (SEL-2) through a 4x12 cab. It sounds good!

Comment

LOL you guys are missing the point dammit!!!!

Yes it is LOUD .....if ya want it to be.

But I was stating how decent it sounded at bedroom levels for the type of music that I was playing at the time.

Now stay on track FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                    Tube amps fuckin rock!!!
                    Yes. Yes, they do indeed.

Comment

i bought an epiphone valve jr. 5 watts all tube. What sick tone this thing has! It'll push a 4/12 if you want, 3 ohms setting and thats it. there are a lot of mods available but what it really has is dynamics, through either the amps volume or your guitars volume you have a wide range of tone. Yes tube amps indeed rock.
                      Guitars:
                      Jackson DK2M Blue Bengal
                      Jackson PS-4
                      Charvel CX 390
                      Gibson Les Paul Studio
                      Gibson Les Paul Jr. Pro
                      Gibson Les Paul Special
                      '56 Gibson J160E
                      Galveston Acrylic Strat
                      couple of other oddities

Amps:
                      Vox AC100CPH
                      Ibanez TBX150H

Comment

I had a 15 watt laney, with EL84's, the loudest 15 watts I've ever heard!
                        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
                          LOL you guys are missing the point dammit!!!!

Yes it is LOUD .....if ya want it to be.

But I was stating how decent it sounded at bedroom levels for the type of music that I was playing at the time.

Now stay on track FFS.
                          ?

I think I got it...
                          Just sayin'.
                          SRV's tone was a tube amp pushed hard, with a TS9 in front.
                          My point is the 2x12 makes it that much fuller, even at very low volume.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                            ?

I think I got it...
                            Just sayin'.
                            SRV's tone was a tube amp pushed hard, with a TS9 in front.
                            My point is the 2x12 makes it that much fuller, even at very low volume.
                            Right on.....understood now. Sometimes I can be a little slow on the uptake.

Comment

Working...
                            X