Multi-FX noise suppression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-FX noise suppression

I need some noise suppression in my setup as the hi gain hiss of the amp makes silent breaks in the music impossible. I know that there are separate single units like the NS-2, Decimator, hush, etc..., but I would like to find a good one as part of a multi-fx.

I currently use a Pod XTL with the amp sims turned off, but the noise gate isn't that great. How do the gates in the Boss GT series, G-major/system, Rocktron Utopia fare against a stand alone unit. I'm trying to be lazy and just have 1 additional piece of equipment between the guitar and the amp.

G Major gate gets good reviews. Any gate's performance can vary greatly depending upon the gain structure and overall noise of your amp. The current Boss offerings might outperform the G Major if your rig is excessively noisy as they can trigger from the guitar input and gate on the output. However if you ride the volume on your guitar to open up the tone in some passages, that type of gate will likely be counter productive if you give the unit too little signal.

No rocktron gate experience

Comment

Originally posted by åron View Post
      G Major gate gets good reviews. Any gate's performance can vary greatly depending upon the gain structure and overall noise of your amp. The current Boss offerings might outperform the G Major if your rig is excessively noisy as they can trigger from the guitar input and gate on the output. However if you ride the volume on your guitar to open up the tone in some passages, that type of gate will likely be counter productive if you give the unit too little signal.

No rocktron gate experience
      Your right...on my GT-10 if im not careful.. it kills the sustain in a note.
      You have to give it plenty of "Release" ...or it will dull out everything.
      Im getting better at just reducing the "Gain" in the preamp, to drop
      out noise.

Comment

I've had good luck with the noise gate in my G Major, just take your time when setting it up. I've also used the Ns 2 with really good results back when I was using a 5150, and I think we all know how noisy they where
        Don

Comment

Pete, have you ever tried the NS2 4-cable method?
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Zoom makes a really good gate. Personally.. I would add an MXR Smartgate into your loop and be done with it. That should take care of your hiss.

Comment

Working...
            X