Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Windsor half-stack for around $575?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
    Most of the online retailers are selling the entire halfstack for $499.
    **Trouble is Shipping could be $300.00 !

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
      LOL yeah.....we're going to long for the in-depth, nuanced, unbiased, & experienced input we used to get at GC (NO OFFENSE TO GC STAFF SOME OF YOU ROCK....and be fair- some of you....don't).

Cyg- I'm intrigued, as a tube rookie, by what you said.... care to expand? Sounds like some good perspective.

Vass
      OK, I kind of wandered off topic...this is just a general observation about some of the bargain priced tube rigs that are gaining popularity. I admit a lot of bias towards older, heavier designs that used open architecture to keep the tubes away from heat sensitive components.
      Point to point wiring (expensive), turret board,(almost the same) amps require hand labor to assemble and solder.
      Circuit boards can be assembled and soldered by robotic machines. The spacing can be, and usually is much more tightly spaced. Big problem is...the tolerances are so tight that the high heat, voltages, and currents don't survive very well on those little patches of real estate.

Add to that...the tendency to save money by using thin boards and very thin copper traces on those boards. Throw on some board-mounted jacks, switches, and potentiometers...not good.

It is possible to make a very good tube amp on circuit boards. But the cost gets just about as high as a boutique if done correctly (OK, half the cost, depending on quantity). Take apart a 70's SS amp, and you'll see just how thick those boards and traces are.
      And keep the tube sockets mounted to the chassis. Plus the pots, switches, and jacks. But robots can't do that.

I'd just encourage people to take a peek inside some of these budget tube amps and see how they are built.

Comment

Cyg thanks for that. Good to consider.

Comment

Has anyone played them and can give a review?
          '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
          '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
          custom made Les Paul
          VOX Tonelab LE
          Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
          ADA MP1
          BBE 422A
          Lexicon MPX-G2
          ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
          Support Your Local 81

Comment

I played one for a bit at the store. It had a nice classic rock sound. That YouTube video made it sound much more trebly than it is in person.
            Last edited by Spivonious; 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM.
            Scott

Comment

The Windsor is a killer amp for the money. It is a bit buzzy and has no clean, but with a little work is kills. Stock is sounds best cranked up. The Windsor cab sucks. I have a bunch of video of Dave King (Joey Belladonna) playing one I modded doing several styles of music.

Jerry
              FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

I have friends that sell these(dealers) and they tell me a very high % get shipped back for repairs not a good sign. Same with the Kranks. Just to give you an insider heads up.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  I have friends that sell these(dealers) and they tell me a very high % get shipped back for repairs not a good sign. Same with the Kranks. Just to give you an insider heads up.

I've seen no issues with either amp. The Windsor is well built for it's price range and the Krank amps are built solid too.
                  Jerry
                  FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Bumpity Bump

I'm not gonna do it because it sounds like it really has to get cranked to sound decent, but these are going for $399 now...... for a half stack.

Shop the best selection of popular guitars: ? guaranteed low price, ? free shipping, ? 0% financing, ? 8% back in rewards.

Comment

just throw a cool overdrive in front of it and it sounds awsome i use the boss sd-1 with mine

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                        LOL yeah.....we're going to long for the in-depth, nuanced, unbiased, & experienced input we used to get at GC (NO OFFENSE TO GC STAFF SOME OF YOU ROCK....and be fair- some of you....don't).
                        (sigh) As long as they use the term "Dude" an average of five times per sentence, then my life will be complete.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

windsor sounds decent but not near enough gain for metal. Valveking sounds decent with plenty of gain on tap
                          jackson pc-1 chameleon
                          charvel model 4
                          prs ce-24 emerald green
                          ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                          jackson rr ps 3t
                          ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                          engl thunder 50
                          ibanez rg 565
                          mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

Working...
                          X