Cygnus Homebrew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cygnus Homebrew

Based on the AX84 SEL design, except with a 6SN7GTA power tube.

I made a cabinet-a woodworker I'm not!
    I need to straighten up the back of the chassis...I gouged it when I installed the power cord. Isn't there a special tool for those retainers?

Anyways, this is the one that I built as a 15 watt single ended with a choice of KT88, 6550, 6V6, 6L6, or similar with cathode biasing.

This is the second amp. I kept the first, the prototype that way.
    I switched the power stage to a 6SN7GTA (or GTB), which cut the output to around 7 watts. Both amps have an incredible range of tone. Passable cleans, (blackface), tweed distortion, or Marshall Super Lead grind. No amp can do everything, it performs best as a lead head.

Pix:

Nice, man! Where did you get the schematics?

Are you going to build a speaker cab next?
    The Guitars:
    Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
    The Amps:
    Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Looking pretty sweet there Cygmaster!
      Soundclip!
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

That looks pretty neat.

Comment

Nice, but will it cook OKRA?
          "POOP"

Comment

Eat it RAW SEEGERMANY!!!!

--floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
              Nice, man! Where did you get the schematics?

Are you going to build a speaker cab next?
              The basic design is at AX84.com. I tweaked it a bit, then changed out the power section after I was satisfied with the gain and tone.
              No point in building a speaker cab.
              They are cheap enough to buy.

I play it either through a Fender Bassman 2x12, or a Peavey 5150 slant cab.
              It depends on what sound I'm going for.

Comment

what do you use to get a rush sound I use a guitar and an amp,but I am a cave man nice stuff for sure
                I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Cyg make a rack mount amp sometime.
                  I know we discussed this over there but something like a boogie 2/90 would be so cool.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Need to get some sound samples on it.
                    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                    custom made Les Paul
                    VOX Tonelab LE
                    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                    ADA MP1
                    BBE 422A
                    Lexicon MPX-G2
                    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                    Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      Cyg make a rack mount amp sometime.
                      I know we discussed this over there but something like a boogie 2/90 would be so cool.
                      I'll look, stray.

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
                        Need to get some sound samples on it.

As Spike noted...I have some, but my playing isn't up to it.
                        I will do it though.

Thanks for the kudo's everyone...unlike the other "build by the print" projects, this one was a result of what I managed to learn.

It gets to the point of standing on other's shoulders. I still stink at troubleshooting, but I can look at a schematic and have some idea at what happens tonally in each stage.

My aim was full tone, "touch sensitivity", and good drive (distortion) at low volume. Seems a lot of people want it, and modellers are cool, but not really there. So I am going in that direction. The next one will have an effects loop option, and if it sounds good, then will be the third tube in the mix.

Comment

Very cool. I wish I was more of a practical guy myself... I would like to hear some samples too.

Comment

I put a dark wood panel in the hole...opinions?

Comment

I think some kind of black perforated/expanded metal would be cooler.
                              --floydkramer

Comment

Working...
                              X