Spider valve Vs Bogner Alchemist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider valve Vs Bogner Alchemist?

I'm just wondering if anyone has compared these two amps and what you think about them. I'd also like to hear some clips if anyone has some.

I've tried them both out in the store for a limited time. The spider valve sounded like a pod through a tube amp which is nice to have in one unit if that is what you are looking for. I was hoping for better cleans but it pretty much just sounded to me like a pod through a tube amp, although it was easier to tweak then a standalone pod. The alchemist had much better cleans and the gain sounded pretty good but I couldn't get it quite dialed in before I ran out of time. The spider had a couple higher gain settings so if you are looking for that ultra high gain the spider might be better. The effects sound good on it as well. The alchemist was easier to use at least for me. There wasn't much overlap in the good tones they each produce so I think they are both good and worth trying out. I ended up walking out with a used traynor for 1/3 the price of either though.

Comment

I had the spider last year and thought it was a decent amp but i wanted a all tube amp. Had a tonelab in front of the spider and i liked it better for metal and cleans, had the spider first though. Then ran the tonelab in a carvin clean amp that was nice and also a peavey triple xxx for a short time but just didn't like the distortion on it. Heard the alchemist for a short moment and like the distortion and liked it pretty much so I traded my amp in for the bogner and it performs pretty well and has kind of the brownsound but I think it sounds better with a BBE sonic stomp box. The amp should be priced less but your paying for name. But all in all its a decent amp not as digital as the spider. Still like a 5150III one day.
      EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
      1959Epiphone les paul
      george L cables
      mxr pedals
      Engl fireball 100

Comment

The Alchemist bored me. Good clean (like I ever use it...), and a so-so non-descript gain channel. I didn't like the onboard effects. The SV had more options, and with LOTS of tweaking, can sound pretty good. The Alchemist is not worth what you pay to get the name.

Comment

Bought Spider Valve HD100 head and blew it up at my first gig. 5 days old. I tried out the Alchemy, but it didnt sound as good as some of the settings I was able to dial in on the Spider. Unfortunately, it met the demise that most of the line 6 stuff I have ever owned has suffered. I am back to my jcm900 100watt combo that kills as far as tone, but flexibility is not matched to the line 6 stuff.
          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I tried the Alchemist and was just not impressed at all. The SV will likely be much more versatile. Can't tell you much about the reliability, so I'd pay attention to Learn on this one. There's probably stuff in the same price range that will be a lot more reliable.

Comment

I did weekly or fortnightly covers gigs (4+ hours a night) with my SV head for about 2 months before I sold it. Never had a problem with it. Although, when I briefly acquired a JCM900 and A/B-ed them, it was apparent that the SV still falls short in certain key tonal areas. Just didn't sound quite as "real" somehow for Marshall tone. High gain tones were pretty good though, and ridiculous amounts on tap.

Now I've got a Carvin V3 and couldn't be happier Well, actually, when I get back from overseas and hook it up with the 4-cable method GT6... then, I probably won't be happier

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys! I've really been curious about these two amps but don't have a place locally that I can try them out. Sounds like both of them unfortunately missed the mark....

Comment

I should also mention that I got one of the first-run SV HD100's. It showed up DOA. If you turned it on with ANY volume, it sounded like you were standing on the beach with the biggest surf ever just POUNDING the shore. It was returned the next day, and after waiting 3 months for the replacement, I gave up and got the 212 combo. It was nice - the Plexi settings with a Boss SD-1 in front were wicked.

At the end of the day, I traded it for a Mesa F-100, and I'm VERY happy with that amp.

Comment

Haven't had the chance to try the Alchemist, yet, but checked out the SV and hated it. Typical POD digital sound.
                    I'm not Ron!

Comment

i played the sv at best buy of all places, and it sounded pretty good, but falls way short of the marshall jvm that was right next to it

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                        Haven't had the chance to try the Alchemist, yet, but checked out the SV and hated it. Typical POD digital sound.
                        At first glance you're EXACTLY right, but if you spend some time with one, you can get some good stuff out of it. You'll never get there in the store though. Like I said, use the lower gain Marshall models, and slam them with an OD pedal. That's about all I used. It was pretty tasty.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodlust View Post
                          i played the sv at best buy of all places, and it sounded pretty good, but falls way short of the marshall jvm that was right next to it

BEST BUY! Are they becoming the new Guitar Center or something?

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
                            BEST BUY! Are they becoming the new Guitar Center or something?
                            I wouldn't count on it.

Best Buy is hurting financially right now, and I wouldn't expect a lot of expansion from them. They are asking for buy-outs at corporate here in Mpls. But they do have some stores offering GC-type stuff at this point. Nothing to go and seek out for sure. Prices are pretty much the same as everyone else out there.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                              At first glance you're EXACTLY right, but if you spend some time with one, you can get some good stuff out of it. You'll never get there in the store though. Like I said, use the lower gain Marshall models, and slam them with an OD pedal. That's about all I used. It was pretty tasty.
                              I spent a decent amount of time with it, but just wasn't happy with what I heard. Are you saying I needed to crank it to gigging levels, unachievable in the store, to get a decent sound?
                              I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                              X