NAD - Framus Cobra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Framus Cobra

I just got my Framus Cobra delivered by USPS today. This amp is heads and heels better than it's little brother, the Dragon.

When I first unpacked and powered up the amp, there was tons of static and fireworks. I tried swapping tube positions, but to no avail. Then I replaced all of the power and preamp tubes, and the amp sang. I finally found the bad power tube and chucked it, so I now have an odd number of EL34 power tubes.

I do like the Cobra way better than the Dragon I have, so the Dragon will go. I find the Cobra to have a lot less treble (or at least it could be dialed out). With the gain all the way up on the lead channel, it is as brutal as the Dragon without the excessive treble. I back the treble down to 10 o'clock, but dialing it higher brings it to Dragon territory. This amp is more versatile than the Dragon in terms of usable tones for the music that I like.

Here are a few pictures:

Thats a killer amp Pete. Really killer.

Comment

+1. i'd Love one of those.

Comment

Mmmm....... Nice...

Comment

I so want one of those, I used a Dragon thru a Cobra cab in Norway last year at a gig and loved it
          Have fun

Comment

I have had one for years. Got it in 2003. I put JJ's in the pre-amp section, left the EH in V1 (I think) and in the phase inverter and put 2nd generation Chinese in the rest of the V spots.

Got is rebiased to 33mA (could be 35).

It sounds so organic people can't believe it. I have it sitting next to a Marshall 6100Anniversary and it sounds so much more responsive than the Marshall.

These amps really stick out in the mix well also. Lots of tones to be had.

I run mine through a TC reverb/delay and that's it.

One of the very best amps I have heard.

Tips can be found over at the Harmony-Central forums. Lots of guys own these and some real experts on these over there.

Congrats! Don't you just love the EVIL RED GLOW!
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I have a Cobra too. Great amp. You can set the controls all 1/2 way and it will sound killer.

Comment

Nice! Congrats! Might have to swing by sometime and check that one out....

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
                  Nice! Congrats! Might have to swing by sometime and check that one out....
                  Anytime Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X