No announcement yet.

Bogner fish preamp anyone own one here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogner fish preamp anyone own one here?

I am very curious now that I am really into amps. Is this a piece of gear worth owning. I already have a Triaxis preamp,MP-1 and a JMP-1. Would it be really worth the coin for one of these or would it be redundant?

I do have a Strategy 400 and Mesa dual recto 2 channel for power.

These Bogner Fish preamps are pricey but are they worth it?

Not redundant to what you own, but you need to try one to see if it's the sound you want.

Personally, I don't feel they are worth that sort of money. But, I currently own a CAE3+se and don't feel it's worth that sort of money either. Both are limited in what they do and only a couple channels, but you really won't get the tone they offer any other way. Both do have outstanding tone, just a matter of if you want that particular tone.

It's one of those things where if you find that is THE tone you want, you'll have to pay more than it's really worth. Sucks...

Comment

I've owned all the ones you mention as well as the Fish. Today I use my original MP-1. The Fish is cool but in a "blind taste test" it wasn't really any better than many less costly preamps. Once I dialed in a great lead tone, I was able to dial in the MP-1 to where nobody in the room could tell the difference. Much to my dismay, I bought into the hype and figured that more expensive must mean better.

It's a great unit but certainly not "superior" by any stretch. Horribly overpriced/overvalued IMO, which when combined with the fact that I had pulled it from my rack in favor of the ADA, is why I sold mine around 10 years ago. Then again, if it's what works for YOU, then can you really put a price on tone?

Comment

Rupe, Just out of curiosity, Is your MP1 stock or modded??
        http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Originally posted by ///MK View Post
          Rupe, Just out of curiosity, Is your MP1 stock or modded??
          It's an original stock model from '87.

Comment

Wow so you prefer the bone stock MP1 to the fish? interesting. I always thought the MP1 can hold its one with just about any hot rodded marshall tone. I love my 3tm and have considered buying a stock one to go with it as soon as I figure out a sane way to switch multiple preampps via midi
            http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

There's a reason it is the most coveted preamp in the world.

Tone Merchants still has the last one or two that don't have a home, so if you want one, better get on it.

The owner says:

"Chris Poland played at Tone Merchants last night and before sound check, he told me that he got a new Fish a few days ago. He told me that it sounds much better than the fish he has been using for years. He told me he noticed a big difference in the Shark channel. He asked Reinhold or Yorg if anything new had been done and to the preamp. They said no. So Chris thinks he just might need a new transformer in his old Fish. Anyways, its great to hear from a guy like Chris who has been playing a Fish everyday for years, say the new one sounds better. Also, Jerry Cantrell just got 2 of new ones."

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
              Personally, I don't feel they are worth that sort of money. But, I currently own a CAE3+se and don't feel it's worth that sort of money either. Both are limited in what they do and only a couple channels, but you really won't get the tone they offer any other way. Both do have outstanding tone, just a matter of if you want that particular tone.
              What's a CAE 3+ SE?

The CAA 3+ SE (SUHR) has 3 separate channels with an EQ section and versatility for switchers. The amp does any kind of music easily.

The Fish has 4 channels, all of which sounds pristine.

I don't see what either amp could possibly be limited to that would make them obsolete compared to most modern amps that can't do half these things.

Comment

What is the price on a new fish?

Comment

Tone is in the hands..not some highly, expensive electric gizmo box.

I sound exactly like myself with the Marshall and Bogner..but I sound/play better with the Marshall. The Bogner is "heavier", but I play the same style with either amp...of course.

You own various amps. They all have their own voice but so does your playing.
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Im a dick i guess...as i have a bone stock MP-1 that i have "OUT" of my
                    system right now... just cant seem to fall in love with it... wish i knew why? Cleveland Metal agrees with me, that it's noisy, and old technology.. but about a dozen other guys around here swear by the MP-1 ! I need to either get used to it...of get off the pot, and sell it ...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                      Im a dick i guess...as i have a bone stock MP-1 that i have "OUT" of my
                      system right now... just cant seem to fall in love with it... wish i knew why? Cleveland Metal agrees with me, that it's noisy, and old technology.. but about a dozen other guys around here swear by the MP-1 ! I need to either get used to it...of get off the pot, and sell it ...
                      I wouldn't be too concerned what is considered old technology. Just use whatever makes you play your best. If your MP-1 is noisy..use a noise gate. I use the G-Major for that. You gotta go whatever works for you..don't worry about keeping up with the Jones'.

Honestly, I'm going full circle and gravitating to using Marshall again. I may sell my beloved Uberschall and buy a 2 channel Marshall JVM. I better make certain before I make that move because Ubers don't grow on trees..Marshalls do.

There is something about Marshall that just clicks with me. It's like a comfortable old shoe that just fits so fuggin' good. I may even go with a Marshall clone on steroids like a Splawn or something. I like every Splawn clip I ever heard. They seem to be consistant to the kind of tone I know and like.

The Bogner sounds great but I have to fight with it to get all my shit out. Mostly pinch harms and such. I don't want an amp that impedes my playing style. Marshalls seems to enhance that...they're just "lively" and have a very quick attack that I love.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                        Tone is in the hands..not some highly, expensive electric gizmo box.

I sound exactly like myself with the Marshall and Bogner..but I sound/play better with the Marshall. The Bogner is "heavier", but I play the same style with either amp...of course.

You own various amps. They all have their own voice but so does your playing.
                        Shhhhh...

Your supposed to tell me that after I buy the amp and cant figure out my I dont sound like Jerry Cantrell.

Actually I am on a amp buying phase right now, I went through one with guitars so now I am selling off most of the guitars that did not agree with me. There is nothing wrong with my Triaxis and Strategy 400 setup I am running right now. More blinky lights in the rack also look cool.

Comment

Ahhhhh..sorry broseph. It just doesn't work this way. If you wanna sound like Jerry Cantrell listening to NOTHING but Jerry Cantrell for a couple years. Hopefully, some of his style will seep in.

You could always cut off his hand..like inside the booklet of Degradation Trip!!!

You're going to sound exactly like you with a Fish as you do with any of the other preamps..it'll sound just like you.

On the flipside, Jerry Cantrell prolly doesn't sound anything like you..I dunno if that's a good thing...it could be!

Comment

Oh man, this is a wide open topic. I've owned a ton of different preamps and multi-channel amps and none of them have been "it". I have a Fish on order.

So here's my list of not "it" rigs off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Heads:
                            • Carvin Legacy - too dark for a lot of stuff unless you play bright guitars and pedals like Vai does
                            • Soldano SLO - this thing sounded absolutely fucking amazing on six or higher - way too fucking loud to be usable and no good cleans out of the clean channel at equivalent volume
                            • Bogner Ecstacy - oh so close - never quite bonded with the one I borrowed - it had this wierd harmonic ringing thing on certain notes that drove me nuts
                            • Diezel Herbert - it was ridiculously loud and did not sound special at reasonable volumes. Incredibly versatile and flexible with loops and programmability.
                            • Marshall 1987x - I brought it to Scott Splawn for his mods - best sounding Marshall I've ever played through. I sold it to buy the Quickrod which was supposed to be the same with an extra channel. HUGE mistake. I would love this amp back. This is the only amp I've ever regretted selling.
                            • Splawn Quickrod - this was just disappointing - I just didn't bond with it.
                            • Marshall JCM 800 50 watt - love. Pure love. Will get one again someday. I thought I wanted something else at the time. I was wrong.
                            • Carvin X100B - great cleans, gain channel was OK.
                            • Randall RM100B - very cool. Only sold this to move into the rack world.
                            • Straub Cantus - the second best sounding Marshall type amp I've ever played through. Heck, this may even be better than the Splawn modded 1987x. I still have this one. It's just one channel. One glorious channel though.
                            • Suhr CAA/OD-100 SH/SE - Best clean tone on a multi-channel amp ever. Never could bond with the dirty.
                            • Suhr CAA/OD-50 - Same clean channel as the OD-100, same problem with the dirty (although this has a different voicing on the dirty channel).
                            • Elmwood Modena M90 - Second best clean tone on a multi-channel amp ever. Dirty stuff didn't start sounding good until the amp was fucking loud. It's being boxed up tonight and shipped out.
                            • EVH 5150 III - this did everything very well but nothing stellar.
                            • Rivera TBR-1 - fantastic cleans, sterile dirty tones.
                            • Dr. Z Carmen Ghia - great cleans, the only way to get really dirty was with a pedal.
                            • Dr. Z KT45 - killer Hiwatt style head. I'd like to get one of these again.
                            • Soldano Hot Rod 50 - meh. It was ok. I got it stupid cheap but sold it as soon as I got the Marshall 1987x (unmodded).
                            Preamps:
                            • VHT Valulator - this thing just sucked. I don't know how anyone found good stuff with this.
                            • Brunetti Mille - best hot-rodded Marshall preamp I've heard to date - tons of gain - fair clean channel.
                            • CAE 3+SE - fantastic clean channel. Very difficult to dial in the good stuff with the other two channels but it was there eventually. Lots of interaction with the EQ.
                            • Voodoo Lab Preamp - I've been using this lately - it's *really* thick. Thickest clean channel I've had ever. Unfortunately channel 2 is fucked up and it's got to go out for service.
                            • Soldano SP77 - very cool moderate gain preamp. Could stand to have a bit more gain though for certain things.
                            • Hafler Triple Giant - extremely cool preamp. Needs the right preamp tubes though - this is a real sleeper - kind of wish I kept it.
                            • Marshall JMP-1 - just OK. Not great, not bad.
                            There's more, I'm tired of thinking...
                            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

So Tim you feel the Fish is worth the money?

Also ever play through a Roland JC120. I just got a head unit for real cheap and have not had a chance to play around with it yet. It is supposed to be the ultimate in clean tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X