Wireless questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless questions

I have an old (1988-ish) Nady 101 wireless unit. It still works fine but the signal starts crapping out at around the 30-foot range or so. I haven't fooled with wireless since the early 90's so maybe you all can bring me up to date. The reason I ask is because I might be playing the national anthem at an outdoor event this summer.

What's the best wireless in the $200.00-$300.00 range? I don't want to spend a ton on this but I don't want tone-sucking garbage, either. Even when sitting right in front of the receiver, the Nady always diminished the "punch" of my sound. What would you suggest? Audio-Technica? Line 6 X2? Samson?

And speaking of which.... If I walk more than about 30 feet from the receiver on this old Nady, I start getting a delay effect that makes it hard to keep time with a band. Is this because of the signal getting weak or my distance?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Guitar Bug is really good. Basically... anything that is relatively new and is true diversity is good. If the transmitter has 2 antenna's thats usually a good sign.
    Samson makes good ones, so does Shure. I wouldn't spend anymore than $150.00 unless I was a touring pro or if you need multiple channels.

Comment

I tried the Guitar Bug and didn't like it. Take a look at the Line6 X2 XDS95. It might be just in your price range.
      http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
        I tried the Guitar Bug and didn't like it. Take a look at the Line6 X2 XDS95. It might be just in your price range.
        That's what I've been using - they were great.
        I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
          I keep hearing great things about the X2. It allegedly (according to Line 6) performs better because it's digital, although I don't really understand that in this context.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
            I keep hearing great things about the X2. It allegedly (according to Line 6) performs better because it's digital, although I don't really understand that in this context.
            I guess it sends ones and zeros instead of an analog wave signal. Kinda like the whole digital vs. analog tv thing. Wasnt there a thread here recently stating that the govt. was re-assigning the frequency used by wireless systems to something else, making them more prone to interference?

Comment

i've got the x2, and i love it. it''d be nice if they made a sturdier box, but for what you get, it's really good.
              198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
              1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
              2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
              2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
              2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
              2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

I use the AKG Guitarbug transmitter to an AKG dual reciever, It works great though I dont use the other reciever side yet its for my wireless headset that I also have, but I dont use, Im thinking of getting a second guitarbug for the other reciever channel though so I dont have to switch them for backup guitars. I dont have any toneloss whatsoever, but the clean channel does have a bit of gain added to it from the wireless, just a slight crackle, doesnt bother me though, I can get fully clean with a bit less volume on my guitar, but I mostly stay dirty so its all good.
                www.myspace.com/memnochband
                www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

I had 2 Nady units in 80's-90's. They were OK but a far cry from today's equipment. I think one was a 101 the other was just called a One.

My bassplayer got the X2 last summer. He said it received some good reviews from his bassist sources. Handles lows very well. This year I need one too. I'm tired of my cords getting posessed after a couple years, climbing & twisting uncontrollably up my leg.

A couple of my guitar buddies have the Sampson Airline series and like the plug-in transmitter and don't seem to gripe about the quailty.

Comment

Musician's Friend has the X2 XDS95 on it's stupid deal of the day at 199. Pretty good price for it.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Update: I bought the X2 XDS-Plus today.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Comment

I've the X2, rackmount. It's a great system. You need to use the coopertop batteries...you'll get 6 hours from them. If I use the energizers, I get maybe 3.5 hours.

joe...
                        www.godwentpunk.com
                        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Just bought an X2 yesterday, so far so good...
                          Greg

'86 Model 1
                          '87 Model 2
                          '88 Model 3A
                          '88 Model 3DR
                          '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

I have the XDS Plus. A pair of radio towers in my back yard wreak havoc on the entire neighborhood's smoke detectors and wireless systems. Everything else I tried choked out or dropped out in short order. The XDS Plus worked at well over 100 feet away (closer to the two towers). No choke out and no delay.

It was expensive but worth it to me. I don't walk well w/o an axe strapped to my neck. So cords are more than inconvenient for me. They are potentially dangerous. Bright side was the wife didn't blink when I said "I NEED this." Translation: I pulled out my gimp card on her. :idea:

It eats batteries for breakfast. I got tired of feeding the beast. I broke down and bought the latest tech rechargeables. Lithium Polymer (as opposed to lithium ion). They have no memory and recharge in literally minutes and last a lot longer. I bought a 4 pack w/charger. Again, expensive but it will more than pay for itself.
                            Last edited by T@rgetDrone; 02-21-2009, 12:14 AM. Reason: i'm an idiot
                            In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Working...
                            X